How are Samuel Gawith 250g boxes packaged inside?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
I'm assuming the contents of the 250g boxes are in some kind of plastic. Is it good quality packaging like Esoterica uses so I can just be left in the boxes for years without worry or is it kinda flimsy and should be jarred upon arrival?

Jar 'em all, including, or especially, the Esoterica. I base this on what I've read here, not experienced myself. I don't age stuff, except by accident. Square tins leak, plastic is permeable, etc. They just weren't made for long-term storage.

SG Boxes have a large sandwhich type plastic bag with the tobacco in and then the box is sealed in plastic wrap. I'd jar it up right away

If they're anything like how Luxury Bullseye Flake comes in their 1.5 pound box, it's just double wrapped in cello-plastic. I would jar it. I'm awaiting a box of SG's St. James Flake to become available and it says on the package in the picture "sold subject to loss by evaporation". That tells me it's not expected to be air tight...

Thats what i thought about SG. Just wanted to make sure. Esoterica bags are multilayer heavy duty bags, at least they have been for 5+ years now. I'm not worried about those. I have a 5 year old bag of penzance that I'll be breaking into soon to confirm. But I'm pretty sure those bags are just fine for long term storage.

Ozark Wizard":54wuy302 said:
If they're anything like how Luxury Bullseye Flake comes in their 1.5 pound box, it's just double wrapped in cello-plastic. I would jar it. I'm awaiting a box of SG's St. James Flake to become available and it says on the package in the picture "sold subject to loss by evaporation". That tells me it's not expected to be air tight...
Also St James Flake is in stock on smokingpipes.

Maybe. I just ordered two 250gm boxes, along with some McC's Pebblecut... :cheers:

ZeroContent":t9od5xxo said:
I have a 5 year old bag of penzance that I'll be breaking into soon
Don't forget to send the 10% Admin Cut in to the office.  Also you still owe 6 Padron cigars according to the ledger.  You need to do a better job or we are going to be forced to charge service fees and interest.

I would jar everything that is sealed in plastic. I don't care if it is food-grade, thick and vacuum sealed. You don't want plastic to leech into your tobacco (or food). I'm not paranoid about plastic stuff, but I do think it is a worthwhile concern. I've lost spices and various other things to plastic leeching. If you've ever smelled it, you know what I'm saying. It doesn't take long, either. I just lost a spice that was maybe only 18 months old to a plastic container going through changes. Never trust plastic for longterm storage. I know there are plenty of people saying things like, "I've been using Tupperware for years. That's nonsense." I thought the very same thing, but in the last few years, I've lost more to plastic leeching than I ever have. I don't know why that is. I'm not claiming to know why that is. Different plastic recipes? Garbage coming from China with no quality control or oversight? You tell me. I only know that if I get something I plan to ingest or smoke, it doesn't sit in plastic for longer than a month or two.

Richard Burley":9wrk556s said:
I don't want to invalidate anything that others have said about Esoterica bags, but it does not reflect my experience at all. I smoke Esoterica blends more than any other brand and my cellar has bags dated from the early 90s. I frequently (2 or 3 times each year) open bags that are 15 years old or older and never found dried up tobacco. All of the older bags look like the one in the pics of the above thread, and some look worse than others. It seems that those holes let the light pass, but they are not real holes that go through the plastic material that lines the bags.

Anyway, this is my experience. Not trying to influence anyone's decision about how they should store their Esoterica bags, just reporting my own experience. On that note, I've never had a problem with Esoterica's square tins, either. I live in Colorado since 1996 (high altitude, dry climate), but used to live in Mississippi before then (hot and humid), therefore my experience reflects a bit of both climates, with more weight on the first. The bags are stored carefully in large plastic totes that are not hermetically sealed. The newer bags used by Esoterica are quite different from the older ones. Never had a problem with them, either, but they still have to go through the test of time.

Keeping in mind that Iowa is usually fairly humid I wasn't surprised that a 250g box of 1792 Flake will keep well in the short term using a couple large ziplocs to hold the box.. but in all honesty it's way easier and longer lasting to jar 'em!

Best wishes!