How do you get your news?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
I'm just curious - how do we all go about getting our news? I work in newspaper circulation, and I'm sure it will stun everyone to learn that it's an industry in decline (because the internet is a fad and it will NEVER catch on). To be painfully honest, I sell newspapers for a living and I probably read the newspaper only a few times a year.

I choose to get most of my news online - but it occurred to me today that I can't remember the last time I actually went to directly to a news outlet's website to "read the news" (as in, going directly to www.pick-your-favorite-news-site.com). I get most of my news through social media...not in the "what are my friends talking about, because that's what's important" sort of way, but more by following/subscribing to my preferred news outlets on Facebook and checking out the stories they post through the day.

Yes...I fully admit to taking the lazy man's approach. But it works for me.

So it makes me curious - what is everyone else doing? Anyone relying solely on the "old school" for news - newspapers, local news, or national "nightly" news broadcasts? What about cable news? For those who prefer the internet, are you proactively going to certain websites, or are you using social media (or some other means) to have news stories brought to you, which you can then read a la carte? Or are we moving away from an interest in "general news" services (local/national/world/intergalactic/whatever) in favor of seeking out only information on more specific things (whether that's a particular crisis, event, trade, trend, or whatever)?

And yeah, yeah, yeah...all news is biased, no one is to be trusted, it's all a conspiracy, etc. But, for those who try to see through the skew and keep up with the world around them, how do you do it?

No tv here (believe it or not). NPR and a magazine called 'the week' which has international news summaries. On-line? Weather and some looking at various news stories, but not much

I check headlines in Google news every morning and every evening just to keep my finger on the pulse. I listen to mostly NPR on a 30 min commute (each way).

Until 20 years ago (or so) I got two daily papers. The local papers merged into one, and I started supplementing with TV. In 2000, I turned the TV off during the election and have never really watched anything since. Four years ago we dropped our subscription to the paper.

I still get the local ( Ft. Worth) paper on Sundays and read it ALL, except Sports and Social stuff. NPR on radio and Reuters and BBC and CNN and Al Jazeera on-line. Then once a week I go to one of the WHINERS websites to see how they reconstituted the weekly news !! :twisted: :twisted:

I do pick up a copy of the NYT or WSJ every now and then. By every now and then, we are talking quarterly. There is a community paper I buy off the stand maybe once a month to put a clipping on a bulletin board.

I listen to the news via satellite radio during my commute (25 mins each way) and on tv for about one hour in the evening (if I have the time). I like to read the paper on Sunday morning, but the Denver Post has been declining and it's reaching a point where it's just a waste of my time.

I get news from the radio and the internet , I don't have much time for TV.

Mostly NPR. I only leave the televised newscast on long enough to get the weather report.

NPR in the morning before setting off for work. Daily newspaper during lunch, while watching the local news and weather on the cable TV in the brewery Tap Room. Local news and weather at 5PM on cable TV at home. I generally don't pay much attention to the nightly World News TV broadcast though - too much doom and gloom.

No internet news here.

Cheers,

RR

I'm a radio guy. A couple of updates in the morning before work and then on the commute home. I used to read the paper, but never seem to have time anymore.

...I watch the morning and evening news when I can...I also read my local paper on-line a few times a week...

Mostly NPR and an AM radio station in the Bay Area KCBS. I also keep up with general interest stories via The New Yorker and The Atlantic mags.

jefe1037":s6s4c5r3 said:
Google news for legit news

4chan for the most recent updates the interwebs can offer.
4chan...... My daughters introduced me to that website. I love the /b/ section :affraid:

Wow!  Lots of NPR fans here.  
That is really good to hear.  

All of my friends roll their eyes and laugh at me when I tell them I listen to NPR.
(Most of them seem to prefer Fox News... :fpalm: )

Todd

taharris":xdj4iykd said:
Wow!  Lots of NPR fans here.  
That is really good to hear.  

All of my friends roll their eyes and laugh at me when I tell them I listen to NPR.
(Most of them seem to prefer Fox News... :fpalm: )

Todd
Aaaah! Fox NEWS, that's a play on words right? :twisted: :twisted:

I'm an NPR guy, as well. I only get to listen very briefly in the afternoons, but they are one of the outlets to whose updates I subscribe via facebook, so I end up getting a lot of their stuff article-by-article. I also follow BBC and The Atlantic.

Interesting that NPR has so many listeners/readers here. I don't know why it's interesting though...just strikes me that way.

Not "news" so much as a research/thought-provocation/viewpoint sort of thing, but I very much enjoy TEDTalks, as well.

Radio and internet.
I'll go on Google News and see a summary, then go to a specific news site for more info. Normally the internet is a last resort because, no matter where I go, I have to sift thru a bunch of crap to get a real news.

Often I just listen to radio news and if something catches my attention then I go online.

I don't normally limit myself to one outlet, the slant on each outlet really changes everything.