how many blends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I am working on building my cellar. Unfortunately many of the tins i have i only have one and not tried them as of yet. I dont get to smoke that often and the 6lbs i have will probably last 10 years. It will take forever to try all these blends. I have starting stocking up on tobacco i truly love such as Penzance and escudo. There are a couple more blends i plan on having more than one tin of like the Frogmortons. I guess my question is do you have a lot of tins of a few blends, or a few tins of a lot of blends? I think many of us have more tobacco than we will ever smoke, so why do we stock up?

tarheel7734":v0amdesp said:
I am working on building my cellar. Unfortunately many of the tins i have i only have one and not tried them as of yet. I dont get to smoke that often and the 6lbs i have will probably last 10 years. It will take forever to try all these blends. I have starting stocking up on tobacco i truly love such as Penzance and escudo. There are a couple more blends i plan on having more than one tin of like the Frogmortons. I guess my question is do you have a lot of tins of a few blends, or a few tins of a lot of blends? I think many of us have more tobacco than we will ever smoke, so why do we stock up?
So that you can be part of THE group ! :twisted: :twisted:

tarheel7734":c2b1i9tm said:
Unfortunately many of the tins i have i only have one and not tried them as of yet.
What's the use of cellaring tobacco which you don't know whether you're going to like it :shock:

SpeedyPete":588y6nki said:
tarheel7734":588y6nki said:
Unfortunately many of the tins i have i only have one and not tried them as of yet.
What's the use of cellaring tobacco which you don't know whether you're going to like it :shock:
I do the same thing. I don't do it consciously, but I have a bin full of tins I picked up because I wanted to try, but haven't gotten around to. Every now and then I want something a little different and I rummage through the bin and find something.

I do the same thing with books. I get the one I want to read at the moment, and always end up with half a dozen more that I intend to read...eventually.

There are probably ~50 tins that "to be tried" bucket. The bulk of my cellar is made of a handful of blends that I really like, FVF, Penzance, Blackwoods Flake, a little Stone Haven thrown in for good measure, and a few others. If I really like something, and its available in bulk, I buy it by the pound. Then I have a couple dozen jars of tins, or small amounts of bulk that I opened to try and haven't finished.

SpeedyPete":ly21b51t said:
tarheel7734":ly21b51t said:
I agree of course. I have about 32 indiviual tins of blends I want to try. I do have some duplicate blends new blends (more than 1 tin or sample). Some are blends I've been gifted with, others are blends that I want to try that were on sale for multiple tins (the Grand Oriental series) and in two cases ones I don't remember why I bought two of them (Six Pence and the re-introduced 3 Nuns)

It's called Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and most here seem to suffer from it, myself included. I do both, acquire large amounts of that which I like, and acquire many odd blends that lurk in dark corners of a closet for years, unopened, untried, and often forgotten. Call it depravity, call it weakness, and yield to the demon who rides your back. That's what I do, and it doesn't really bother me when I look in the mirror. I look on the bright side: I could be a serial killer, or a politician. I mean, a man has to have something.

I too have those spare one-off tins that I bought with full intention of smoking but never got around to it.

Now I call them bomb fodder.

TAD :evil: :evil: :evil: My worst weakness :twisted: I have more 'baccy & cigars than I will ever smoke (I think!!); then I buy seven more tins over the holidays, not to mention the ones I bought from Steve Fallon just before the holidays. I am my own worst enemy on this subject :p Oh, did I mention the four pipes I just had to have to smoke these 'baccys? 160+ and I'm still lookin' :shock: :shock: FTRPLT

As to the original question...Without a complete, time-consuming inventory; I have no idea how many different tinned/jarred/mylared/sealed package blends I have. I do know that I haven't tried many of them and can't wait to do so!!!!

I find myself stock piling a few blends, but for some reason I still have 50 or more different blends in mason jars. So much stuff to try!

Most of the baccy I have are one off's in my cellar. There are a few blends I really enjoy that I try to keep on hand.

Richard Burley":q9qigqxw said:
It's called Tobacco Acquisition Disorder, and most here seem to suffer from it, myself included. I do both, acquire large amounts of that which I like, and acquire many odd blends that lurk in dark corners of a closet for years, unopened, untried, and often forgotten. Call it depravity, call it weakness, and yield to the demon who rides your back. That's what I do, and it doesn't really bother me when I look in the mirror. I look on the bright side: I could be a serial killer, or a politician. I mean, a man has to have something.
Man, can I relate to this.  That's why I'm selling off part of my cellar.  One night I figured out how much I smoke per year, took my age and how long I thought I'd live, and I've got more tobacco than I can smoke unless I live to 168!  Unfortunately, I come from a gene pool that tends to flop over dead by mid century of life, or walk in front of trains unaware.

When you hear of my demise, call my wife, she'll probably sell my tobacco larder for a song. :roll:

Natch

Natch":xudvlpc6 said:
Richard Burley":xudvlpc6 said:
Man, can I relate to this.  That's why I'm selling off part of my cellar.  One night I figured out how much I smoke per year, took my age and how long I thought I'd live, and I've got more tobacco than I can smoke unless I live to 168!  Unfortunately, I come from a gene pool that tends to flop over dead by mid century of life, or walk in front of trains unaware.

When you hear of my demise, call my wife, she'll probably sell my tobacco larder for a song. :roll:

Natch
Natch, This may save your life,........look both ways before crossing tracks and roads!

I have about 10 blends that are my go to blends. I have a ton that I am trying and that I have several tins of. Then, I have some that I don't smoke, but that I use for bombings, etc because i have tried them and found them wanting. I keep a constant rotation with about 10 blends open at any given time. Everyone has a different method of working through their cellar. I love having many tins open at once as my tastes change on any given day. I like almost all different types of baccy except lat bombs and burley bombs. LOL. GLP's Cumberland was a surprise to me for sure. :)

28 Blends, approx. 35 pounds
100_1121.jpg

People buying tobacco which they don't smoke ? This is news to me.

Whenever I look at a blend which I would like to try, I read about it to see what others think about it. If it looks good I will go for it.

I would then buy a 50g tin or 2oz sample and smoke it. If I like it, I will buy some more, if I don't like it, I finish the tin/sample and forget about it.

Why would I let a tin of tobacco take up space for years and when I eventually try it, it's no good?

I only stock tobacco which I've tried, like a lot and have in my rotation.

old_salt":pq3y0qte said:
28 Blends, approx. 35 pounds
100_1121.jpg
Though I smoke alot, THAT much, at my age would be wastefull :twisted: I'd be dead BEFORE I could smoke THAT much !! :twisted: :twisted: Besides my disposable income is very limited these days!! I mainly rotate thru 3/4 blends with just a few pounds of each "stocked" up. :twisted: :twisted:

tarheel7734":xfn20gyb said:
I guess my question is do you have a lot of tins of a few blends, or a few tins of a lot of blends?
Started with the latter until I started to decide what I really enjoy enough to keep on hand in quantity - now I'm slowly moving towards the former.

I've got a lot of stuff around that I haven't tried as well. Sometimes I 'invest' in tobacco that I think may be valuable with age to fill out an order. Say I've got $75 worth of stuff I want to buy, and shipping runs $12 or so. That brings my total to $87, but if I spend $100 I get free shipping. That basically means I get $25 worth of tobacco for $13 (half off!). I'll buy GLP tins or something and if I want to later I might try to off-load them with a little age to fun a new purchase. Otherwise, I usually don't stock up on something I'm not sure I like unless there's a really good sale and it's got a great recommendation.

The things that's recently screwed me up is doing reviews of Sutliff and MacBaren products. They send me stuff so fast I can hardly get through it, and it's hampered my sampling of other blends. I'm not complaining, though! I now have a few more blends I want to stock up on.