How many fly fishermen in the BoB?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,
LOL, I used to tie some great visually looking flies and my friends said that I don't catch nearly as many fish as they do with their ratty/shaggy unimpressive ones that they tied.
And I think they were right. So go ahead and tie up whatever suits your fancy, the trout will love it. Cabin fever is already here, it's time to hit any open water!!!

finsup21":hvk7faa7 said:
I've been fly fishing in salt for about 10 years. A 9 weight fast action Orvis, 10 weight intermediate line most times, and an old Battenkill reel by Orvis as well. It was close to a high end rig at the time and still never fails. And while I love striper fishing you can't beat blues on a fly rod for serious action. Just be prepared to beat up and lose a lot of flies.

As far as the panfish goes, a nice fat sunfish or crappie on a light outfit is some of the best action you will ever have.
Wait till you hook a large mouth bass on a popper. Get's interesting in a hurry.

I really want to do some WW fishing this year. I live right next to a warm water creek that has some nice rock bass in it. I just have to walk out my back door to the water.

SO ARE WE ALL PRACTICED UP WITH OUR FLYRODS?

I can't find my reel,,,but I don't get near as tangled up without line anyway,,,

looks like a trip to bass pro is in my future,,,hate to see what line is going for now,,,much less a reel,,,

there's a lesson here somewhere,,,don't move, after moving don't renovate, after renovating don't ,,well, you get the idea,,

I have been fly fishing/tying for about 20 years now, since I was a kidmbut have not for the past 5 years since I moved to coastal sc. I grew up fishing the beaverkill, Delaware and willowemoc and the chances of me finding a brook trout within 4 hours of hear is depressingly bad. I need to pick up a 9wt and hit the salt marshes but I have never tied a salt water pattern in my entire life.

Anyone here fly fish for spot tails here?

mark":uj589oe7 said:
SO ARE WE ALL PRACTICED UP WITH OUR FLYRODS?

I can't find my reel,,,but I don't get near as tangled up without line anyway,,,

looks like a trip to bass pro is in my future,,,hate to see what line is going for now,,,much less a reel,,,

there's a lesson here somewhere,,,don't move, after moving don't renovate, after renovating don't ,,well, you get the idea,,
I have picked some good fly lines spooled up on some cheap reels on ebay. if you look close in the pictures you can sometimes see a line ID sticker on the reel. A twenty dollar reel with an eighty dollar line on it.

That's a good idea dbl-haul, I never thought of that.

I found my reel a couple days ago tucked in with the reloading dies. Got to start writing myself notes.

Just got back from popping for bass this morning. What a riot, looking forward to season opening.

Checked out my "hot spot" on the trout stream on the way home. Looks totally different, the winter moved everything around and filled in a couple nice holes.

Someone should sponsor a monthly BoB fishing contest. Reaons: I won't have much time to dunk tackle in the water this year, so I'd vicariously love seeing pictures/weights. 8)

williamcharles":nes7txo4 said:
finsup21":nes7txo4 said:
I've been fly fishing in salt for about 10 years. A 9 weight fast action Orvis, 10 weight intermediate line most times, and an old Battenkill reel by Orvis as well. It was close to a high end rig at the time and still never fails. And while I love striper fishing you can't beat blues on a fly rod for serious action. Just be prepared to beat up and lose a lot of flies.

As far as the panfish goes, a nice fat sunfish or crappie on a light outfit is some of the best action you will ever have.
Wait till you hook a large mouth bass on a popper. Get's interesting in a hurry.
the first time i ever saw any one catch anything live on a fly rod was when i was a kid on vacation up at long lake in the adirondack mountains. of course he was a pipe smoker too.

So it's been a while. I moved from Korea to Alexandria, Va and took a FF trip to Idaho. Some pics
DPP_1430-Copy-Copy.jpg

Great water. Beautiful country.
DPP_1530.jpg

Caught lots of Cut Throats.
DPP_1437-Copy-Copy.jpg

DPP_1531.jpg

I'll be back.

I'm a rank amateur but I love to do it. My wife grew up fly-fishing and tying her own flies. She's been teaching me but I have A LONG way to go.

This is me fighting with a tiny wee but very feisty fish back home on the Whitecart river.

ScotsmanFishing1.jpg

Dreadgerbil":jl6m6z1u said:
I'm a rank amateur but I love to do it. My wife grew up fly-fishing and tying her own flies. She's been teaching me but I have A LONG way to go.

This is me fighting with a tiny wee but very feisty fish back home on the Whitecart river.

You're not wearing a kilt...and sporran...are you?

Dave_In_Philly":6v4vtaz8 said:
Dreadgerbil":6v4vtaz8 said:

You're not wearing a kilt...and sporran...are you?

I am indeed. Very comfortable for fishing in. I even have a sporran with a sheepskin front which is perfect for holding flies.

A lot of great photo's in this thread. I'll have to make time to upload some of mine.

Been fly fishing for about 10 years now. Got the kid into it, he's 11 now probably started him at it a couple of years ago I'd guess. him and I take a lot of trips up to the Alleghany Mountains for Brook Trout. It's nice because the scenery is unbeatable and the places peaceful and Brookies are by nature easy to catch. Aggressive little things.

I'm going to take him out this year though to hit some of the Steel Run we get out of the Great Lakes. Should be a good time. I'll start him with some yarn flies or nymphs under the indicator but I hope to have him swinging flies by the end of the season.

It might be a cliche, but there really is something special about lighting a pipe on the side of a trout stream when your arm is too tired to keep casting and you legs are burning from wading against the current.

Oh, and not pipe related specifically - but I also love the anticipation of approaching your fishing spot with an untested new fly at the ready and the conditions perfect. (The red head Clouser below proved to be quite popular with the residents of my in-laws Ohio farm pond as it turned out.)

clouse11.jpg
[/url][/img]

Bluefisher":2wk2w54u said:
It might be a cliche, but there really is something special about lighting a pipe on the side of a trout stream when your arm is too tired to keep casting and you legs are burning from wading against the current.

Oh, and not pipe related specifically - but I also love the anticipation of approaching your fishing spot with an untested new fly at the ready and the conditions perfect. (The red head Clouser below proved to be quite popular with the residents of my in-laws Ohio farm pond as it turned out.)
Pics or it didn't happen. ;) :lol: