How many fly fishermen in the BoB?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fish10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Here's the Clouser in action!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKnvcs79BwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thanks! I love all sorts of fishing, including Steelheading in torrential downpours with little luck, but there's something about crazy, pressure-free farm pond largemouth.

I think this applies to me...

5184693977_d1e0de854d_o.jpg

I'm also the past owner of the Classic Fly Rod Forum and author of The Cracker Barrel

The next time you cringe at the thought of $300 for a pipe, consider the cost of a bamboo fly rod or a fine double shotgun. Granted, I'm a value consumer (we're frugal, not cheap. Our motto is: Make it last), but sometimes you have to pay a little extra to get something you really want. No tedious explanations required.

Incredible selection of cane rods. I hope they all came with an extra tip. I usually need at least three tips for every cane rod, as my casting technique needs to be tweaked.
Thanks for sharing the photo. Not sure if you know Les Young from the NY Club, he's a cane rod aficionado as well and a wonderful gentleman.

I don't believe Les and I have personally met but I may be mistaken, he does post on the forum I used to own, The Classic Fly Rod Forum. Since you live in MA and come to ME you have to go quite close to where I live just before the toll booth in ME. Give me a holler if you are going to head up and I'd be pleased to give you some casting tweaking! ;) Most of my rods have 2 tips...........

Thanks for the invite for casting instruction, I can surely use them!!
As for Maine, I usually travel back and forth from Wiscasset very frequently. Although the next week will be spent hunting in Virginia.
We'll have to hook up in the near future for sure.
Andy

I really enjoy fly rodding and it's basically all I fish with outside of muskie plugging. Lately I've smallie fished on the Menominee,brookies and browns in the UP, float the Bois Brule in June, Hex fly fish locally, and bluegill fish with a duck skiff. Use cane if my rods fit the fish (5 wt) or graphite for toothy critters. My pipes are my constant companions for enjoyment and to keep the mosquitos at bay. Used to enjoy a big honduran cigar till I burned through a $60 fly line fighting a bull bluegill. Expensive fish. My dream is to fish the babine but my account says forget it.

This hasn't been my day. Every year around the 1st of May I go on my annual Turkey and Fly Fishing trip. I usually go out for a week to ten days. I decided to start getting my 5' by 10' utility trailer that I converted into a camp trailer ready. I decided to put another coat of water proofing on the canvas and repack the wheel bearings. When I start working on it I start hearing kittens crying. What do I find......not one but two different litters. Four of them don't even have there eyes open, the other two can't walk yet. Made a nice box up for them and put them in the bed of an old pickup on the side of the house. Had a tarp over it so they could hide. An hour later they are back in the trailer. Will move them again tomorrow. If the come back again I guess they are going to end up as coyote bait. This is what I get for letting the wife feed a couple of stray abandoned cats that people left when they moved away, another couple days of work cleaning up the mess. Come May 3rd I head fro the south rim of the Grand Canyon to fish, cats be damned.

I seem a bit late to this party, but here I am. I have fished all my life, but discovered fly-angling in the early eighties, and been fly-fishing and fly-tying for almost 34 years now.

Use fly fish as a teenager. Bass fish all the time when I was college. Then I worked . . . and worked. My brother-in-law is getting back to fishing. We are camping out on the Outer Banks for a week surf fishing for Drum. Did it last year and had a great time.

Like to get back to bass fishing but I need to blow a weekend and find a good fishing hole in the area.

Toirtis":usbos1ed said:
I seem a bit late to this party, but here I am. I have fished all my life, but discovered fly-angling in the early eighties, and been fly-fishing and fly-tying for almost 34 years now.
Toirtis have you ever fished the Bow. A buddy of mine has been trying to get me to do a Bow River trip all summer but are work & time scheduals just havn't worked out. I did get out a 1/2 dozen times on the James River & Lower Stoney west of Sundre while working in the area.

Hawker":v2psr78q said:
Toirtis":v2psr78q said:
Toirtis have you ever fished the Bow. A buddy of mine has been trying to get me to do a Bow River trip all summer but are work & time scheduals just havn't worked out. I did get out a 1/2 dozen times on the James River & Lower Stoney west of Sundre while working in the area.
Living a 3 minute drive from it, the Bow is my default stream, and has been for the 26 years that I have lived in Calgary.....when I do not have time to hit some still water or the Livingston, Highwood, Willow, etc, the Bow is where I go, and some days, I just like to spend a few hours on the Bow. I did not fish it as much this year, as the flooding had it mostly unfishable for about 2-3 weeks, but it has recovered well, and will continue to do so. As long as it has sections free of ice, and the air temp is over -5, you I will be fishing it through the winter, too.

You will not be disappointed fishing the Bow....lots of great fishing on it, and the spots are better and the fish bigger from the Calf-Robe bridge down to the Carseland weir (great fishing south of the weir, but that area is closed until next spring now). Now that the temps are cooler, we are into the heavy nymphing season, and there are some huge fish just hanging out in the deeper holes.

Toirtis":bntfb89l said:
Hawker":bntfb89l said:
Toirtis":bntfb89l said:
Living a 3 minute drive from it, the Bow is my default stream, and has been for the 26 years that I have lived in Calgary.....when I do not have time to hit some still water or the Livingston, Highwood, Willow, etc, the Bow is where I go, and some days, I just like to spend a few hours on the Bow. I did not fish it as much this year, as the flooding had it mostly unfishable for about 2-3 weeks, but it has recovered well, and will continue to do so. As long as it has sections free of ice, and the air temp is over -5, you I will be fishing it through the winter, too.

You will not be disappointed fishing the Bow....lots of great fishing on it, and the spots are better and the fish bigger from the Calf-Robe bridge down to the Carseland weir (great fishing south of the weir, but that area is closed until next spring now). Now that the temps are cooler, we are into the heavy nymphing season, and there are some huge fish just hanging out in the deeper holes.
Good to know thanks for the tips. Hopefully next year we can make it happen.