How many of you actually "listen" to music anymore?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Burley":qu9oc0kq said:
Hell is other people's music.
No hell is what Bruce Willis told the bad guy in "The Last Boy Scout" when he said to him, "Just once I'd like to hear you scream". To which Willis replied, "Play some rap music".

eklektos44":kh0j5tya said:
Richard Burley":kh0j5tya said:
No hell is what Bruce Willis told the bad guy in "The Last Boy Scout" when he said to him, "Just once I'd like to hear you scream". To which Willis replied, "Play some rap music".
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfthzU3V4zo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Richard Burley":de19nji7 said:
eklektos44":de19nji7 said:
Richard Burley":de19nji7 said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vfthzU3V4zo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
:lol!: Yea, that'd do it... :lol!:

eklektos44":vbzrf7gb said:
What Composers do you enjoy? Any particular conductors you like? Artist? :)
For the most part I really enjoy late Renaissance and Baroque era music. Classical era & forward aside (especially Brahms & Beethoven), I am not particular when it comes to conductors, although I love Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra for just about anything. Ton Koopman is amazing on harpsichord and organ. Composers, I like Dowland, Telemann, Corelli, Bach and Handel.

Paul O'Dette playing Dowland on Lute is about the best damn piping smoking music ever..

DrumsAndBeer":t16eo2yw said:
eklektos44":t16eo2yw said:
For the most part I really enjoy late Renaissance and Baroque era music. Classical era & forward aside (especially Brahms & Beethoven), I am not particular when it comes to conductors, although I love Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra for just about anything. Ton Koopman is amazing on harpsichord and organ. Composers, I like Dowland, Telemann, Corelli, Bach and Handel.

Paul O'Dette playing Dowland on Lute is about the best damn piping smoking music ever..
Love Lute and I've been toying with the notion to take it up for some years. Just need to determine how many courses would be best. Too many choices.

Thanks for the recommendation Chris. I'll check out Paul O'Dette playing Dowland. I'm Classically trained so the right hand is familiar with the technique. Shouldn't be too much of a leap. And I can read tab as well as notation. Heh!

Some years ago, I had a co-worker that brought his Lute to work and would play it during his breaks/lunch. Baroque stuff, and I enjoy that immensely.

Interesting thread shift, but I'm digging it.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":0pldo4tw said:
DrumsAndBeer":0pldo4tw said:
eklektos44":0pldo4tw said:

Love Lute and I've been toying with the notion to take it up for some years. Just need to determine how many courses would be best. Too many choices.

Thanks for the recommendation Chris. I'll check out Paul O'Dette playing Dowland. I'm Classically trained so the right hand is familiar with the technique. Shouldn't be too much of a leap. And I can read tab as well as notation. Heh!

Some years ago, I had a co-worker that brought his Lute to work and would play it during his breaks/lunch. Baroque stuff, and I enjoy that immensely.

Cheers,

RR
I'll have to check him out also. I haven't listened to a lot of lute music, but I do have an album of English lute music by Julian Bream I quite like.

Brewdude":u9nmphtx said:

Cheers,

RR
Awesome. Yeah the Lute has a very nice sound. I can listen to the Paul O'dette Dowland volumes without ever tiring of them.

Just so you end up with the definitive recordings, look for John Dowland Complete Lute Works, Volumes 1-5, Paul O'Dette, on Harmonia Mundi.

I guarantee that with this playing in the background your pipe will smoke even sweeter. :p

DrumsAndBeer":p0xsp3kw said:
Awesome. Yeah the Lute has a very nice sound. I can listen to the Paul O'dette Dowland volumes without ever tiring of them.

Just so you end up with the definitive recordings, look for John Dowland Complete Lute Works, Volumes 1-5, Paul O'Dette, on Harmonia Mundi.

I guarantee that with this playing in the background your pipe will smoke even sweeter. :p
John Dowland Complete Lute Works, Volumes 1-5, $200 bucks, yea, won't be getting that set...

DrumsAndBeer":zqdh10sm said:
Buy em' on Amazon, separate and used. I found mine for 6.99-9.99 each volume.

Here's a long list of Amazon sellers selling Volume 1 for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000007F5/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=8-3&qid=1431056940
Cool. 8) Here's the set I'd like to have:

http://www.amazon.com/Julian-Bream--Complete-Album-Collection/dp/B00BCCEBRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1431060198&sr=1-1&keywords=julian+bream+box+set

DrumsAndBeer":et7hiffk said:
Seeing that Julian Bream boxset makes me hate MP3's and digital downloads even more. I love good packaging.
MP3's have their place. They're good for traveling or hiking, etc. But for serious listening I prefer SACD's, or CD's at a minimum.

DrumsAndBeer":1qzcwto9 said:
eklektos44":1qzcwto9 said:
Seeing that Julian Bream boxset makes me hate MP3's and digital downloads even more. I love good packaging.
Purchasing the box set, then ripping a copy over to your MP3 player for mobility, can give ya the best of both worlds! ;)

Brewdude":gijchk4j said:
Just ordered this Chris. Really looking forward to it, and thanks for the link!
You bet. I am sure you will enjoy that recording.

eklektos44":gijchk4j said:
MP3's have their place. They're good for traveling or hiking, etc. But for serious listening I prefer SACD's, or CD's at a minimum.
Without a doubt. It's just that I lament the dissapearance of material substance, album artwork & design, words to read about the recording session(s), printed lyrics, oh, and sound quality.. ;)

Dutch":gijchk4j said:
Purchasing the box set, then ripping a copy over to your MP3 player for mobility, can give ya the best of both worlds! ;)
Dutch, Great minds think alike. That's exactly what I do. Cheers man! :D

Every day. Anywhere from 30m to a couple hours. I grew up when, like probably many of us, every house had a stereo as a centerpierce, a stack of records was visible, and concert going was a common activity. Stereo shops littered the landscape. Saved my allowance to buy records. Bought a stereo before I bought a car. I still consider movies a special occasion (that now interests me little). Music remains my #1 hobby. And I've never owned an MP3 player. I love music, but I've never enjoyed listening to it while in public, isolating myself with earbuds. I used to run for exercise, and I didn't care for it then, either. Fidelity is important to me. I listen to hard copy or lossless files (the computer is integrated into my stereo setup as another component). Fell in love with sound, and we have never parted ways.

DrumsAndBeer":st32pc99 said:
Brewdude":st32pc99 said:
Just ordered this Chris. Really looking forward to it, and thanks for the link!
Did you get a chance to listen to it yet?
Just saw your response now Chris.

Yes, I've been listening to it regularly. Quite nice, and think I'll pick up a few more of the series.

Last Sunday I attended the annual big guitar show, this time held at the Tacoma Dome. It's grown very large throughout the years I've attended, and the vintage instruments dominate. Like being a kid in a candy store!

The upshot is there was a 7 course Lute for like $4500. Had guitar frets, and although I can't remember the luthier, it looked pristine and probably well worth the coin.

If I had $4500 sitting around in a shoebox I'd have grabbed it in a heartbeat and embarked on that journey. As it was I was beguiled by many other guitars and amps.

And no, I ended up not getting any of them if you're interested! But I was sorely tempted!

Aargh!

:|

Cheers,

RR

Cool. Happy to hear you're enjoying those recordings. I think they're great. Every time I listen to it, I am like "Solo Lute!, man this is the sound!"...

Sorry your shoebox was light, BD. :D

Sounds like it was a great show, nonetheless.