how many tins opened at one time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 9 tins opened presently, which is a lot considering I do not smoke that often (only about 4 bowls a week). But then, I’m still eagerly exploring new blends so I have to have some tins opened at the same time.

Usually, I only have 3 tins open at once: and English/Balkan, one of Virginias or VaPer, and a burley-based blend.

Wet Dottle":qtddk13s said:
Usually, I only have 3 tins open at once: and English/Balkan, one of Virginias or VaPer, and a burley-based blend.
I like the way you are thinking WD. Dang bro, why didn't I think of that??? But then again, What burley or va etc, to open next is what will get me! :lol:

Piet Binsbergen":8cpsg5bj said:
I like the way you are thinking WD. Dang bro, why didn't I think of that??? But then again, What burley or va etc, to open next is what will get me! :lol:
You can always break the rules. :lol!:

Wet Dottle":p53npd43 said:
Piet Binsbergen":p53npd43 said:
You can always break the rules. :lol!:
Hear Hear :lol!:

A few dozen - been smoking through them and working my way down to around 6 now that I have done the majority of my sampling and hoarding :)

gandalfpc":4veiqx03 said:
A few dozen - been smoking through them and working my way down to around 6 now that I have done the majority of my sampling and hoarding :)
A few dozen would have me lose the plot, I am struggling with 12 :lol:

It has been as many as 15, but I am trying to cut it back to maybe 5-7 at most. I think I have so many because I was trying a lot of new tobaccos, and wound up with open tins that I would only dip into every two weeks or so while I stuck to my favorites.

We sound like Junkies............ uhhhhhhh maybe we are, who wnts to check into rehab????
:lol:

You all still need to beat Muddler, he has a small cellar open. The man is a calm genius!!!!!

Piet Binsbergen":z7dl18cv said:
who wants to check into rehab????
:lol:
Rehab is highly over-rated, indulgence is what we are put here for, not to abstain from life's pleasures....ask any sex addict. :shock:

That's the bad thing about taking up the pipe. To many choices, just when you think you have your picks someone recommends another. Another Tad and another opened tin.
Gotta sample!

adauria":5rp3tqvl said:
I keep lots of tins open, though I empty the contents into mason jars when I open them. I have about 24 open "tins" at most time. But I have an above average love of variety, I think. I am trying to get better about going deeper into a blend rather than wider across blends. I'm not sure why I feel this has more merit, but I think it has something to do with the idea that I'll appreciate a blend more. YMMV.
I've been taking that line as well, both with tobacco and pipes. Just trying this very recently: One pipe per tin, max of three (Va, Va/Per, Va/Bur - I wouldn't try this with Latakia). So I have 3 tins open with a pipe dedicated to each and I won't reach for another pipe until the tin is finished. This way the pipe gets a chance to "take on the flavor" of the blend. Its made for a much richer experience. Previously I would rotate through my collection giving each pipe ample drying time, but I noticed that I didn't really get a "fullness of flavor" until mid bowl or so. Now the pipes are sort of "loaded with flavor".

Of course, rest is important, and I'm not sure if this will work in the long run without a pipe going sour, but its good for now.

I transfer anything I open to a mason jar unless I know I am going to smoke it all in a short time. Just counted, I have 53 open mason jars and tins in the den for ready service. Many more in the basement for longer term storage.

ShellBriar":8wb25bsw said:
Just trying this very recently: One pipe per tin, max of three (Va, Va/Per, Va/Bur - I wouldn't try this with Latakia). So I have 3 tins open with a pipe dedicated to each and I won't reach for another pipe until the tin is finished. This way the pipe gets a chance to "take on the flavor" of the blend. Its made for a much richer experience. Previously I would rotate through my collection giving each pipe ample drying time, but I noticed that I didn't really get a "fullness of flavor" until mid bowl or so. Now the pipes are sort of "loaded with flavor".

Of course, rest is important, and I'm not sure if this will work in the long run without a pipe going sour, but its good for now.
Well... after about a month or so.... that experiment is over! :lol: It was fun for a time.

It works great for lighter blends like SG Best Brown and St. James Flake, and could go on for quite a while if limited to those, but with heavier fair like Esoterica Dunbar or Solani Silver Flake... not so much.