How often do you remove the stem?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweaksource

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone does post-smoke as far as removing the stem from the pipe.

Do you:

1. break down the pipe (after it cools, of course) and remove the stem to clean the mortise and stem

2. Just run a pipe cleaner through the assembled pipe and then remove it

3. Run a pipe cleaner through and leave it

4. other

My main curiosity is do you remove the stem from the pipe after every smoke or only for routine cleanings?

I very rarely remove the mouthpiece from the stem. I run a cleaner through the whole thing after each smoke and leave the pipe cleaner in long enough to absorb moisture. Works for my bents also. Don't buy a pipe that won't pass the pipe cleaner test.
Ken

I never remove the stem unless it's for a rare thorough cleaning with Bourbon. Also remove stems when I need to clean and wax them. With the pipe in my pouch, when I out of the house that is, I'm in the habit of slipping a cleaner in it before putting it back in the pouch, then I clean it quickly before loading for another smoke. At home, I'm less methodical. But, basically I just run a cleaner through the still-assembled stem and shank.

Removing stems never seemed to lead to anything like making them fit more loosely over time, but I'd like to know if such has been anyone else's experience.

After smoking a pipe, I generally run a pipe cleaner through the stem/shank without taking the stem off. I only take the stem off when I do a deep cleaning.

There is one exception: on one of my older pipes, if I don't take the stem off and clean the tenon with alcohol after each smoke, the stem gets "glued" to the shank and it is nearly impossible to take off.

Like everyone else above me I tend to leave the stem on unless for a deep cleaning with 151, I even follow this practice on my army mounted pipes. The exception to this being my Savinelli in which I've been known to use a filter on occasionally, but only with particularly wet smoking tobaccos. I'd assume though with the Kaywoodie heading my way I will need to remove it though, seeing as it has a stinger, I wouldn't want that baby getting clogged on me anytime soon!

I tend to remove the stem after every smoke to clean, and let the pipe dry out. I tried leaving the pipe and stem alone and just using a pipe cleaner, but after one horrible smoke caused by a piece of gunk that got lodged in the airway, I started taking them apart again.

I take my pipes apart after every smoke to run a pipe cleaner through them.

I run a cleaner after a bowl. Every couple of months I take my pipes apart for a thorough cleaning.

I keep the bowl and stem separated at all times, holding them separately in each hand, then connect briefly for each puff.

Lighting is a problem using such a method, of course, so I wear a special hat with a footswitch-activated lighter on the end of a little yardarm/boom thingy attached to the brim.

Works great. Highly recommended.

Pfffft...that hat model is so antiquated LL. My updated version simultaneously fits stem to shank, packs exactly one puffs worth of tobacco into the bowl and lights it, then cleans the pipe and disconnects the stem. Completely hands free smoking and maintenance. I've got my eye on the new model that actually puffs the pipe for you too.

Used to take them apart after every some (after cooling). Now I only take them apart when I have to. Someone pointed out that every time you take it apart you risk damaging the pipe, and I have damaged a few that way, so not it's only when I have to.

After evry smoke, but VERY VERY carefully; I learned my lesson about 30 years ago, when I broke a pipe shank by not removing it straight out; like an idiot I was in a hurry and bent it a bit! The pipe was cool, but the shank was thin!

Frost":l1lx6fn9 said:
Pfffft...that hat model is so antiquated LL. My updated version simultaneously fits stem to shank, packs exactly one puffs worth of tobacco into the bowl and lights it, then cleans the pipe and disconnects the stem. Completely hands free smoking and maintenance. I've got my eye on the new model that actually puffs the pipe for you too.
I'm jealous. You city folk get all the neat stuff.

Very rarely. When I add a pipe to the collection I take it apart to inspect it and clean it if necessary. After that I don't take them apart. :shock:

I'm in the take 'em apart every time camp. After cooled of course. I like to pick up a fresh and ready to go pipe each time. So I do a bit of work in the evening so in the morning everyone is ready to go!

Every time i smoke...in fact usually the day after i use a pipe i take it apart and clean it so it is ready for the next time.