How to determine which blends may be lost due to FDA regs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLowlyApprentice

Reaction score
Has anyone made a list of popular blends which may be lost due to the new FDA regs?

As a newbie puffer I don't have any idea which blends date from before 2007 and after.

I would like to lay in a supply of blends which I like and might be lost due to the regs, but I don't know if they'd be grandfathered in by a pre-2007 date.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TLA

It's my understanding that all blends introduced prior to 2007 are safe. Any introduced after 2006 will be taken off the market unless the blender or manufacturer jumps through a bunch of hoops and spends loads of money to insure that the tobacco in question meets certain guidelines. The way I determine if a blend I'm curious about will be cut is to go to TobaccoReviews.com and search for that blend. Then I select the option to display the oldest reviews first. If the blend hasn't got a review prior to 2007 then I think it's safe to conclude that it was introduced after 2006 and could be subject to being cut. If there are reviews prior to 2007 then according to my understanding of the guidelines then that blend should be safe and can continue to be sold. There may be other ways but this is the method I use. BTW my understanding of how the Regulation will affect any tobacco blend may be flawed. I'm old and sometimes I don't see as clearly as some of the younger crowd. :roll:

AJ

Yes, I have also stocked up recently but hopefully things will be delayed and possibly even permanently put on hold... But I'm not as up to date as some or most on here. AJ has the right of it w tobacco reviews. That's what I've been doing as well.

Many thanks for the tip AJ.

Couldn't find where to set the display to show oldest reviews first, but I can always scroll to the bottom of the page.

Now I'll have to start doing my homework to figure out what's vulnerable to the SmokeNazis and start saving up to increase my stash.

I'm even going to try to start a list of highly recommended baccys from tobaccoreviews.com which I haven't yet had a chance to try but which might get lost before I ever get to test them.

I wonder if old blends will be vulnerable if they get transferred to a new manufacturer (different blender, slightly different ingredients, etc.)

TLA

femur":jharrc47 said:
I just stocked up on H&H Blackhouse
ugh. There are a few blends from H&H I'm dying to try, but now is just not a good time. oh well...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t32890-pipe-tobacco-from-2007-onward?highlight=pre+2007+blends

joshoowah did this a bit ago, it might be a great place to start!

This seems to me to be a good thread to keep alive. Just for reference............

Ozark Wizard":bxex88hl said:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t32890-pipe-tobacco-from-2007-onward?highlight=pre+2007+blends

joshoowah did this a bit ago, it might be a great place to start!

This seems to me to be a good thread to keep alive. Just for reference............
Good link, Wiz. That was a great post by joshoowah