How to get rusticated pipes shiny again??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
As the title suggest. What do you guys use to polish rusticated pipes?

I usually use Renaissance wax on my smooth pipes but they're way too hard for deep sandblast/rusticated finishes. Also a buffer is out of the option for me :(

I use a buffer with a string wheel but, as you stated that's not an option so, I've had pretty good luck in the past using Paragon wax and then a stiff tooth brush like the ones for dentures to clean out the dried wax in the crevices. The trick is not to scrub, just run the brush over it back and fourth just using the tips of the bristles. Scrubbing will only bend them over and not get into the shallows good enough and may scratch the wood if your to rough. (never scratched one in this way but....)

If use/handling does not polish mine enough, sometimes at the pipe shop they will offer to polish one for me just because it has passed a shop threshold or something. When I have a new stem fitted, they always come back with a spiffy finish.

They're RUSTICATED!

Rustic = not buffed and shiny...just clean. I like the horsehair brush thing. Make those rustic suckers GLOW! A good shoebrush would be just the thing. Be careful of the wax though...you want that bowl to breathe if possible. Right?

<<Literary sidebar: in Theodore Dreiser's great novel, "Sister Carrie" (1900) there is a 'thing' made between the kind of shine two men's shoes exhibit. The cheap dandy sports mirror like patent leather, while the gentleman enjoys a soft gleam. Who does the girl end up with? Oh please! >>

Cartaphilus":gqobu3v7 said:
I use a buffer with a string wheel but, as you stated that's not an option so, I've had pretty good luck in the past using Paragon wax and then a stiff tooth brush like the ones for dentures to clean out the dried wax in the crevices. The trick is not to scrub, just run the brush over it back and fourth just using the tips of the bristles. Scrubbing will only bend them over and not get into the shallows good enough and may scratch the wood if your to rough. (never scratched one in this way but....)
This is what I do too :cheers: 

I usually do them by hand, with some Halycon and an old toothbrush. Buff off by hand with a cotton cloth.

Try with real lacquer. Many pipe makers do it. It may be applied with a painting sponge.

"Shiny" is a relative term. As other posters said, I use the horse hair brush that I use to polish my shoes. I don't use any additional wax other than what's already in the brush. I'm satisfied with the results, but calling it "shiny" seems like a stretch. Burnished, maybe.

I used to use Denicare pipe polish but have found the Dunhill polishing cloth is way more economical. It is about 15 bucks and will last a year or so.

Cheap way, buff with a stiff bristle brush, after use of museum quality wax. The shop way, proprietary.:lol!: :lol!:

I also recommend Halcyon II for rusticated and sandblasted pipes for the best shine.

Rich at 4 Noggins sells it:

http://www.4noggins.com/search.aspx?find=halcyon+II

That said, I usually use a pipe cloth during thorough cleanings (every 15 smokes or so). Mine's a Dunhill Pipe Wipe, but the aforementioned Denicare brand also works well.

I agree with Harris and Roth .... the Dunhill polishing cloth works very well

I don't like "shiny" pipes. :twisted:  I prefer the well worn aged sheen pipes get with years of use. My main "polishing" agent is nose oil with an occasional buffing with the remnant of a wax impregnated flannel shirt back I've used since the '70s. Every so often down the years, I'd use a cloth soft wheel at the B$M here in town had back when it was open in the early '80s. No wax other than what was already on the wheel as residue from other buffings. Soft sheen is where it's at :evil:  :evil:

I'm with you, Monbla.

A polishing cloth works just fine.

But ther are other puffers out there who want shiny, hence the advice in this thread ;)