How To Win A Barfight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYPD Legend & Police Tactics Instructor, Phil Messina, teaches the concept of VISION / WIND / LIMBS. It is a system that anyone can master.

First go for the eyes directly (vision). If that can't be done, break their nose. That will effect their vision AND their breathing (wind). Blood will flow down the back of the throat making breathing difficult.

Wind can also be accomplished by the aforementioned punch to the throat. Use caution however, there is a very strong chance you will kill your opponent.

Limbs are used for control. Joint manipulation / Hard joint locks-breaks. Generally, the limbs / control step can be avoided by civilians since it is not your duty or obligation to control your opponent. That step is more for Law Enforcement

Simple, straightforward approach is always best.

no sir. i would definitely assume you were packin'!

I think the best way to win a fight is to avoid it in the first place. If you can't avoid it, fight dirty, and do it quick. :lol:

Jack Straw":3ab62hge said:
I think the best way to win a fight is to avoid it in the first place. If you can't avoid it, fight dirty, and do it quick. :lol:
That is what I teach. Avoid the fight if you can. If you can't, then make them know they were in a FIGHT! :twisted:

I observed a really good fist fighter in a bar once back in tha day. Well, until my second eye swelled shut that is.

Falconer":okd2bwks said:
I observed a really good fist fighter in a bar once back in tha day. Well, until my second eye swelled shut that is.
that's funny. but i'm gonna have to supply you with a waka waka and a snare and cymbal hit. ba dum dum--splash!

bruins":fydegovl said:
Falconer":fydegovl said:
that's funny. but i'm gonna have to supply you with a waka waka and a snare and cymbal hit. ba dum dum--splash!
Funny now yes but he beat the daylights out of me! In retrospect I don't think I should've hit him up side the head with a pool cue. It kinda made him mad. I haven't played another game of snooker now in 40 yrs. He Broke my nose and gave me two black eyes. :no:

pool game fights are the worst. you both have potential spears in hand, and there's nothing like pounding some guy's head in with the eight ball. when i was a kid i got thrown out of our local community clubhouse because some jerk wouldn't leave my alone while i took my shot. i simply hit him with the pool stick. later, we found out i broke his arm. cops came to my house and everything. my parents were horrified to find out they had a delinquent on their hands. it was hard for me to convince them that this kid was a real jerk.

I've been in a couple of bars where fights broke out, but took my father's good advice: I walked into the ladies room, said I was a plumber and asked what the problem was.

Stick him in the eye with your tamper. See, they have countless uses, if you give it some thought...

Say the right thing and most people won't want any. "I don't fear death," I told a guy who could've kicked my ass, while staring him down. Honestly, I'm not a "liquid courage" drinker nor did I think myself the reincarnation of Charles Bronson. I just didn't give a damn. The look he gave me was just one of freaked-out bewilderment. Had some other near-misses because some people thought I was "standoffish" or whatever. Yeah, I came here to drink, not make a new best friend. Ha ha :suspect:

We're better off drinking at home, at least those of us who live alone.

I had a few fights in my youth (no bar fights). I'm no bully, but neither am I pumk. I'm lucky in that most folks like me and I can diffuse most situations. I have always gone out of my way to avoid such situaions.

Jack Straw":apauza1f said:
Well, if there aint' going to be any rules, let's get the fight started. Someone count. 1,2,3 go. Butch Cassidy

My Dad is a WWII vet who fought hand to hand in the China Burma Theater. Taught us there are no rules in a fight. "You fight to win. Pick up a brick. Hit em with a stick. Gouge them in the eye. If you take a whippin' you'll get another when you get home."

I've only been in a few scrapes. I did however learn that if a fight is inevitable, get in the first strike and make it count.

I've never been in a bar fight, but I've seen my share of 'em.

I'm not sure it's any particular virtue that I've never been in one, onna counta I don't go to bars. I just don't. When I was a young turk, I spent plenty of time in bars—not as a customer but as a musician—and I had enough of bars to last me the rest of my life. I saw some wicked fights. And some pretty funny shit too.

This one time we were playing a gig somewhere in western New York State...Batavia, I think. Somewhere around there. As it turned out, the guitar player had loaned his van (which had all the band gear in it) to a friend of his (Carl) the day before the gig, and Carl fell asleep while he was driving...on ice, near Ithaca. The van skidded off the road, the doors flew open, and the band gear became an ornament for some farmer's field.

Well, Carl had hit the windshield and his head was bleeding. He wasn't badly hurt, but he was in shock...and the only thing he could think of was, "Jeez, the guys in the band are gonna kill me...", so he was running around in that farmer's field in the dead of night, picking up band equipment and stuffing it back in the van.

I was a drummer in those days, and my drum set was part of the ejecta when the van went blooey. My trap case opened somehow and my cymbals were lying there in the snow. Good ol' Carl managed to find them all, even while he was dripping blood all over everything...including the cymbals...and he got everything back into the van. Somebody towed it back.

So we had this gig the next night. We shoved everything into three cars and hit the road. We didn't even have time to clean the blood off the stuff. As it turned out, the gig was at a bar that was the favorite hangout of a motorcycle gang. We're talkin' 1968 here, and these weren't exactly enlightened dudes. They came to get drunk and kick some ass. If it was musician ass, no big deal.

At one point, some huge friggin' motorcycle dude staggers over right in front of my drum set between songs and says something incomprehensible to me, so I tried the standard 1968 affirmation, "Right on, man!", just exactly as if I had any idea WTF he said. He says, "Well all right!", so I must have given the right answer. Then he looks at my cymbals, which have dried blood all over them, and says, "Whats that stuff?"

"It's blood, man."

Silence.

I grinned.

"Cool!" he says. We were an instant hit.

Fights broke out throughout the rest of the night, but at least we didn't get our asses kicked. :mrgreen:

:joker:

Only one real fight, and one near-miss.

The real one happened long ago (so did the near-miss, for that matter). I was helping a friend who managed a bar. It was closing time, and we were going around reminding folks that it was time to go home. There were three or four guys at a pool table who had obviously been drinking more than they should have. One of them got in my face and said, rather incoherently, "we'll leave when we're ready." Wiping his spittle from my face, I said, as nicely as I could, "you're ready now."

He didn't think so. He shoved me backward against the pool table. Now, I am a sixth degree black belt in Isshinryu Karate, and at the time I was in pretty good shape, with sharp reflexes, etc. No more words were said, and it all happened pretty quickly. I threw a punch that pretty much exploded his nose, and knocked him off his feet onto his ample ass.

Of course, his friends decided to join in, but fortunately my friend and another bar employee also jumped in, and a fine time was had by all.

My friend who owned the bar got a beer bottle to the head, and I took him to the ER for stitches.

The near-miss came when my wife and I were dancing at a club, and a guy kept bumping into me. I figured, what the heck, it's a crowded dance floor, accidents happen. But it happened over and over, and I finally told him it was over. He backed down, and nothing happened.

This guy actually was too young to be in there anyway (my wife knew him). He went on to be a police officer, and we became sort-of friends later.

I actually detest fighting, but as others have said here (and my Karate instructor always told me) avoid it if at all possible. But if you must defend yourself or your family, hit hard and hit fast. And make it count.

Mike

While it may make for good movie entertainment, People who engage in this type of behavior are that types that are accustomed to arrest and court life and are more comfortable spitting out a molar than most are with just spitting. To win a bar fight is never to find yourself in that type of environment.

gospelman":nummo8zx said:
...I actually detest fighting, but as others have said here (and my Karate instructor always told me) avoid it if at all possible. But if you must defend yourself or your family, hit hard and hit fast. And make it count.
:cheers: Well said, Mike. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

It has nothing to do with bars; there are aggressive jerks everywhere. My sensei has always taught the same thing. His dojo's name is Shizukana-do; it means "the quiet way".

It really IS a way...a way of life. Those with the strength to defend themselves have no need to be the aggressor. But when a bonehead brings trouble, you should be ready to defend yourself.

:joker: