Howdy folks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayak

Reaction score
New pipe smoker here. Picked up the pipe on a whim while at the local B&M while in search of Zippo wicks. I managed to time my exit perfectly with rush hour traffic, and rather than jump back out into the craziness I picked up a corn cob and an ounce of a straight up burley aromatic to while away an hour till rush hour passed. As is to be expected from a complete novice, I utterly eviscerated my tongue and mouth. The flavor I did manage to extract from the blend wasn't all that enjoyable. I quickly pawned the remainder of the ounce off on a friend and picked up a pouch of captain black. I've been having better luck with that. Don't smoke all that often, whenever the mood strikes and the weather cooperates, the current rate being about once a week. I don't have the luxury of smoking indoors (aside from my local B&M), and live in a fairly windy area. Consequently I don't bother with the pipe if I know it will be a hassle. Anywho, I look forward to gleaning knowledge from the community.

Welcome, Kayak, and don't worry, most of us were where you are at some point! I hope you enjoy your time and your intro to the hobby

"T"

Howdy! I'm glad to hear the rough start didn't discourage you. Stick around...you just might enjoy the place. :)

Hey there kayak, great to hear from you, and welcome to the BoB!

Yeah, tongue melters do come along from time to time, fortunately there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in between!

Welcome to BoB, keep up the piping when you can and read up on here to learn little tips and tricks.

Welcome to the group!

And Kaiser...I totally dig that cap you're sporting in your avatar.

Welcome, Kayak, (I'm a single blade, 11 degree bent shaft kind of guy myself!) and welcome. We all started by frying our tongue the first few attempts, perhaps it's a right of passage, and only the tough (or really stupid? :lol: ) survive it?

Coming directly from the tobacconists, I can guess it's the same culprit that vexed me in the early days, overly moist tobacco. Try drying it out (and it it's a cube cut burley, that can take a long time) to various moisture levels and see if that helps. I found the steam created from smoking too moist tobacco to be the major factor in poaching the mouth.

Natch

kayak":kua035xd said:
I don't have the luxury of smoking indoors (aside from my local B&M), and live in a fairly windy area. Consequently I don't bother with the pipe if I know it will be a hassle.
Welcome to the forum.
This was a major problem for me as well. I encourage you to stick to it the best you can, but I didn't get dedicated until I had an indoor space. This topic came up in a recent conversation and it was clear to many of us that smoking a pipe outdoors (in non-ideal conditions) is a special talent that among many I do not have. Especially in an anti-tobacco climate, finding a place to enjoy the pipe while living in an apartment is a challenge. Best I can recommend is to find an out-of-the-way place where you would be happy to hang out for an hour to enjoy the pipe.