I Flubbed up!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnrust

Reaction score
So I normally us JD to clean my pipes. Being an alcoholic with 12yr sober, I decided to try Brebbia Pipe Cleaner once my little airline size bottle of JD was empty. I proceeded to clean 7 of my Autographs with it. BIG MISTAKE!!! The stuff made everything taste like spearmint extract. Taste like crap'ola. Right now I am trying to enjoy a bowl of mint flavored Kajun Kake. It ain't happening. This stuff is going in the trash.

What do you all use to clean your pipes?

fishnrust":t3i3gy66 said:
So I normally us JD to clean my pipes. Being an alcoholic with 12yr sober, I decided to try Brebbia Pipe Cleaner once my little airline size bottle of JD was empty. I proceeded to clean 7 of my Autographs with it. BIG MISTAKE!!! The stuff made everything taste like spearmint extract. Taste like crap'ola. Right now I am trying to enjoy a bowl of mint flavored Kajun Kake. It ain't happening. This stuff is going in the trash.

What do you all use to clean your pipes?
Wow, a light bulb just went off in my head! I have an Ardor that I bought used and I always get a small hint of spearmint when it gets to the bottom of the bowl. This also makes sense because I am sure that the person who previously owned this pipe would have used Brebbia Pipe Cleaners!!! Not to add insult to injury to you, but I have smoked this pipe several dozen times and still taste the mintiness at the bottom of the bowl. :evil:

99% isopropyl alcohol (do not know if this is available everywhere or not, but readily so in my parts), pipe cleaners, cotton swabs, and rags made from old undershirts or another soft cotton cloth.

Kapnismologist":stjcwq61 said:
99% isopropyl alcohol (do not know if this is available everywhere or not, but readily so in my parts), pipe cleaners, cotton swabs, and rags made from old undershirts or another soft cotton cloth.
I haven't asked the pharmacist, but 91% is the highest strength on the shelves.
I haven't seen any Everclear at the stores, either. Don't know if it's sold here.

Everclear has always done the trick just fine.

Kajun Kake a la Spearmint, yuck!

Bourbon,,,a little for the pipe, a little for me,,, :drunken:

You don't NEED alcohol.

Twist drills, in increments up to the draft hole size, worked slowly by hand take care of build-up.

What you might try to get rid of it is getting some activated charcoal from a tropical fish place (for the filters they use) and packing it into the shanks between the bowl and the stem mortise for a couple days.

:face:

Thanks guys, did not know about the rubbing alcohol thing. Yak, are you saying no moistened pipe cleaners go thru our pipes? Interesting.

Right now I am trying, repeat trying, to enjoy a bowl of Full Virginia Spearmint. Yuck! This is the 3rd time I smoked this pipe since cleaning it this past weekend, and I can still taste the crap.

Clean um??? You're supposed to clean your pipes??? Wow, what a novel idea, it will never catch on. :lol:

But I've heard a rumor that most any stronger liquor in a pipe cleaner works well, but it's merely a rumor.

Natch

I don´t like the pipe sweeteners much either. They just leave an artificial aftertaste. I use drugstore alcohol, like most have mentioned. I like to let the pipe dry out for a few days after though- you can perceive a slight taste on your first bowl but it is gone by the second....

Fish : You heard right. Alcohol will soften some of it and color the cleaner, but you can repeat that fifty times and still pull them out brown. It's a waste of pipe cleaners and effort if clean in there is what you're going for. The flutes of the proper diameter twist drill (provided it's a high quality one) will literally cut the crusted scunge away and get you back down to bare wood again.

I learned this from our resident virtuoso pipe repair/restoration guy (LL) (intending in no wise to slight Ronnie B or/and anyone else here).

Several repair guys (LL & Dr. Dave come to mind) can de-tox your pipes for you. It's a fairly inexpensive job, but the waiting time involved while your pipes are in the queue to get fixed can be several months. Which is why I'd try the activated charcoal first.

FWIW

:face:

"Diesel," a less expensive but exactly the same proof as "Everclear."

Unlike Yak, and sometimes it takes some six bristle cleaners to do the track, the cleaners do become less and less black, and in the end, have only a trace of gunk on them.