I just tried Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinH":7mcbcmcm said:
Kyle - I'm a big latakia fan, and as a matter of fact I pulled out an aged tin of Squadron Leader and couldn't get enough of it. What interesting to me is that I smoked for almost 2 hours with the SL, and it was simple heaven. But, the other day I smoked a bowl of McClelland 2011 Christmas cheer and I nauseous. My only guess is that it was the vixen N that got to me. How would you describe the overall experience of the BB to SL, assuming these two are even comparable in the slightest? I'm always looking for something new to try, and to expand my tobacco horizons. I also find it interesting that smoking a robust leaf in a larger chamber makes a difference. I had never thought of that, but it makes sense.
Nice comparison by Kyle. From experience with Billy Budd, I'd recommend buying as little of it as possible to start. I can't speak to Christmas Cheer, but I can say that BB is somewhat of a nicotene blast. While it didn't make me woozy, it definitely made it's presence felt. Like any strong tobacco, it pays to treat it with a little respect and eat something before hand. I am beginning to like this mixture a lot, but it's not an everyday smoke for me by any means.

Yak":g617ap8f said:
Pressing changes it.

:face:
Well, one out of three ain't bad.

Anyone else wanna take a stab at the other two questions? :lol:

8)

Take 20 minutes and read all the recent GLP raps about recent tobaccos he's come out with. He goes into that. Pressing changes balances. Not to mention that long vs. short, cold vs. hot, & steam vs. dry pressing all alter the outcome. It's as variable as "cooking" is.

I've read them. He goes into it in a clinical, in-the-know way which I'm not clear. At first I was under the assumption it was an available method of packing, or that the tobacconist did it. I can't find places to buy "Billy Budd Pressed."

Anyone else?

It's an available, extra-cost option with any of their own tobaccos. As is tinning.

Good, Yak, good... we're gettin' there. :lol: You're doing fine. 8)

Another BB revisit today.

Because of the chunky nature of this tobacco, I've found it a good choice for a breezy day. One remarkable thing about this mix is it doesn't seem to get too hot (at least for me). I'm sure I could put it to the test, but Billy would probably sock me in the mouth. :lol:

I especially like how consistent the Latakia is in the mix. It maintains its prominence throughout the bowl.

I know very little about tobacco blending, but when I've tried to add Latakia to experimental batches, it seems to be great at first, then disappears in a week. Then I add more. Good roar, but then dulls to a tired growl. This ain't an easy one to work with, by my account. Then I have had mixtures perfected by some companies that the Lat is great on the first 1/4 bowl, then goes away, or suddenly appears just before the bowl gives up its last breath. BB stays the course.

Trying "Chelsea Morning" recently got my motor revvin' for some Cyprian Latakia... so, today, I returned to Billy Budd.

Burley gives me a spicy, savory sensation that I like to pretend is Perique, especially since I'm so sensitive to the "Per." Billy Budd has none, but I can get a solid, but mellow "punchy smoke" from this one each and every time. I just keep reaching for this stuff. The thick mouth-feel of the cigar leaf is so pleasant, and the sweetness of the VA shines through the Latakia with ease.

Still a good 'bacca that I can't stay away from. 8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DdTpxnbP9ZU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Billy Budd and Bow Legged Bear are currently in my rotation. I think LI Pipe nailed it quite well. A lot of strength there but once you overcome the bitch slapping, you enter a new world of taste and relaxation. A fantastic way to laugh off a stressful day.

Really nice review. I've been experiencing a newfound craving for English blends and Billy is one I've had my eye on for a while.

May I humbly recommend our very own, NYPC's Jack's Shanty Cigar Leaf Blend. It is a tribute blend to the club's first Pres. and founding member, and above all, good friend, who we dearly and deeply miss. It can be purchased exclusively from: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/newyopiclbl.html

From the tin label:

Jack's Shanty Cigar Leaf Blend

The New York Pipe Club's collection of pipe tobaccos reflects the historic and vibrant character of our City. Bestowed to our club by its founder, Sailorman Jack, his personal recipe is a rich and stout blend featuring sweet lemon and red virginias with generous portions of fine Latakia and Perique for added spice and depth. Finished with shredded cigar leaf, it delivers a unique flavor that will appeal to seasoned smokers. Attention, Attention! Savor a New York State of Mind with Jack's Shanty.

I'm really proud of it as well as our other three blends. I hope you enjoy it as much as I!

Lou

I really liked billy budd too, not as strong as i was expecting to be honest, but plenty strong enough.
I have been smoking it daily since i got my C&D sampler.

I've returned to BB recently. Had a jar of it I forgot about since early last fall...figures it'd start making me eyeball it now that spring is bouncing around.

I have a couple new pipes that I figured would be perfect with it...a fine Ben Wade number a brother gifted me, and it sings. I don't mind Latakia in the warmer months, just not the super heavy stuff. Star of the East is probably gonna get put away for a few months, and BB's the ticket.

I recently described it to someone as "...a gentlemanly punch to the mouth." That makes it sound terrible, but it really has a bold foundation with a wholesome balance that I've missed--but never tasted right in the "lean months." Manly but honest, as gentle as it is solid without sacrificing body, flavor or intensity. The little bit of cigar leaf really binds it all together.

I love a good pipeful of seasonal-change homecoming like this. :cheers:

Does that little bit of time do anything for it? I bought 8oz after Christmas, and just haven't been able to really get into. In my mind, I should love it - I like all the components, burns nice, nothing seems "wrong" (that I can put my finger on), etc. It's just kind of been a nonevent and I can't say why.

Possibly. I don't think six months is going to do much. I like this stuff fresh, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of bright Virginia flavor that would need a bit of the rough edges cleaned up via time. The Latakia would tone down a bit and reveal some of the other components, I'd guess. This stuff isn't a powerhouse of flavor; more subtle. But not weak at all. Might be you're into something with more glitz and glamor? :shrug: