I just tried E Hoffman's Spilman Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Hooray! Something to tide me over until some Sam Gawith Squadron Leader arrives!

Well, kind of.

I fell farther and farther in love with Squadron Leader from the get-go. It was my first SG product, and really got me into these medium-bodied, medium-Latakia English blends.

So, it's all I have to compare this to right now. Which is fine, because lots of people can relate to Squadron Leader.

So--Spilman Mixture very similar to Squadron Leader to me. There's a few differences...for example, the cut is a bit chunkier and cube-ish, (which loaded great and stayed lit perfectly, by the way, as does SL) and smelling it from the bag, it isn't as "punchy" smelling as Squadron Leader. Spilman Mixture contains a fair amount of Latakia, even though the smell in the tin/bag doesn't give this away. I found this mixture a little lacking in body and complexity (yes, again, comparing it to Squadron Leader), because I believe the leading tobacco is likely Burley--which gets taken over by the Latakia and doesn't give the Vitamin "N" hit one would expect. I believe mixes like this have the "right" amount of Latakia (as does SL) but the key here is the amounts of other tobaccos (VA/Turkish) not being quite bold or strong enough, or in enough amounts, to really play fairly.

It's a good, straightforward smoke: I like it a lot. It's a fantastic medium English. You'll like it if you really enjoy Latakia, as it isn't overpowering and is pleasant to smoke. For me, Burley is a really subtle tobacco, even more so than most Virginias I've tried so far, and it'd take a little different mixing to get that thick waxiness and sweet-starchiness that Squadron Leader gives me--according to ingredients, SL has less types of tobacco...and gets more complexity for my taste.

So, it's obvious I like my SL. Sure. The fact this stuff came close is impressive. I'd reach for this if SL suddenly disappeared. It would also pair wonderfully with strong coffee/spirits if you weren't as worried about getting every delicious molecule of tobacco but wanted something English and smoky.

This is the first review that I can recall of your first bowl experiences that ventures into the realm of "like."

Glad you liked.

A very good blend indeed. Not only does the container have the old time motif, it tastes like an old time blend, mellow, smooth and no bite. The Latakia is merely to smooth out the blend and tastes like a vintage tobacco of years past.
Kyle, it's nice to see that you found something that you don't have to dispose to the gods.

:lol:

Oh, I haven't been that picky... :p

...okay, yes I have. I've been fair, though!

Don't worry, I have more tobacco on the roster to try than I can smoke daily in a month at this point. 8)

Thanks, Kyle. I think I may try some, based on your description. I'm a fiend for this type of blend, although C & D's Ephemeris is the one to beat, to my mind. I can't get enough of it and prefer it over Squadron Leader, which I do have on hand.

Sounds like a good'un, Richard. I put it on my ever-growing list. It has a similar cast of 'baccy characters as Spilman here, wherein (at least according to tobaccoreviews.com) SL is sans the Burley. Since I've developed some pretty hardcore VA lust right now, too, it's not surprising SL is really floating my boat. I'd be curious to see how C&D does with their variant of this!

I've tried Spilman Mixture and really like it a lot. I'm a big fan of C&D's Epiphany, too.

Smokey

Epiphany is my favorite lite Lat. blend, always keep a few pounds in jars. Every new and then in the past, you would find a good deal on certain C&D blends, and I think it wasn't too long ago I got two pounds of Epiphany for around $30 each?

Spellman was OK, but didn't ring my bell, and I think there are better blends in that genre to smoke. But that, to me, is the big advantage of getting small samples of blends I haven't tried. It costs nothing to learn it's not your cup-o-tea. I hate it when I buy a tin (or in some cases, a bulk pound because it looked/sounded so promising) and on the first bowl realize this stuff is awful, what a wast of money!

Not that Spellman is awful, it's OK to me, but I appreciate the overly generous trade I made with one of our BoB's a while back that included numerous open tins of Lat. blends, several that I've never tried. This allowed me to find few gems I'll order again, yet not loose any money on some I won't. It may sound odd, but I'd rather get a sample of a weed I've not tried and find out I don't care for it, than one I've not tried and find out I love it. I'd have gotten to both blends eventually, but it's annoying to pay for the one I didn't like.

Natch

Agreed, Natch. Spilman was good, just not my idea of "Wow!" (...and thank you for the sample of it!) These tobacco care packages I've received from folks here have been the difference of me either going broke trying this stuff, or having a very limited range of tobaccos I only think I like...

...I find it interesting piping is such a personal hobby but is so important to connect to others, while sharing experience and tobacco. This is an economical hobby, but not always a cheap one. :lol:

Epiphany is on my list. 8)