I just tried GL Pease Navigator

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next order, though as yet money is not found, will be either 20 tins of Old Dark Fired or 3 lbs of Navigator. I'll probably go with ODF as it is so all-round splendid: strong enough to satisfy as an HO yet has a kind of mellow and stately splendor constituted, at least for me, by a dark-fired complexity. The dark fired KY stands out. (I have no idea what I mean by the second half of the second-to-last sentence but feel confident about the last sentence:):).

Opinions on this?

If you've spent some time with Navigator, ODF is pretty close. ODF focuses more on the dark Kentucky, and Greg's stuff has a little more dynamic action playing with the VA--however he melded all of this together, it stands on its own. Both ODF and Nav are good tobaccos, different ballparks, similar games. I'm leaning toward Navigator more and more. ODF will still be reached for when I want straightforward, but Navigator could be a great routine that wouldn't get old.

:shrug:

Oh hush, you old, hipster commie. Take some responsibility for your actions. :tongue: :heart:

Thanks Kyle!

If Nav has more VA complexity, and thus less KY, I'm guessing that ODF is stronger?

A brother (somedumbjerk, I believe) sampled me out some Navigator, and while I dug it, I thought it was a very different beast than ODF for some reason. Kyle's review, as always, is great--you're a wise man with a wise tongue, brother! Personally, I'll probably try other GLP blends that I haven't sampled yet before I pick up a whole tin of this, but not because I thought this lacking--it just didn't immediately grab me the way, say, Haddo's or ODF did.

In re: Mike's question, I didn't find it nearly as strong, Vitamin N-wise, as ODF--I wouldn't put Navigator in the HO camp, whereas ODF I would.

alfredo_buscatti":e4gt44oz said:
Thanks Kyle!

If Nav has more VA complexity, and thus less KY, I'm guessing that ODF is stronger?
Not sure how to answer that, but I'll try via guesses to your direction:

* As for stronger flavor, I'd say ODF has about a head-length lead over Nav. Meaning, not much. With (what I assume is) diminished use of overall Kentucky:VA ratio per Navigator, there's simply a different flavor--but since ODF uses Burley:VA, I can't say for sure. I'm probably safe to (further assume and) say some similar VA leaf exists in Nav as does Jackknife, and was chosen specifically to marry in pleasant contrast with the Kentucky. With that, the sometimes (pleasant) "harshness" that can be had by Kentucky isn't as up-front in Navigator, and is carried with the Virginia up the nasal passages in a unique way. In ODF, the character of the Burley (acting as KY, in this instance) is harder to find. It's there, but it just doesn't give up its secrets readily. When it does, it is more nutty, slightly herbacious/less spicy and challenging--focusing on only the "meat" (...probably the pressed Burley taking stage), whereas Navigator hints slightly sweet (and not simply due to the slight rum topping), grain-like, leaning more spicy than herbacious and focuses on nothing in particular (a good partnership of KY/VA). That is why I dig Navigator so much, I think. Navigator is a jazz quintet, ODF is only banjo and guitar. Both awesome, done right--one just goes a step further. The complexity of Navigator is less KY:VA, where I believe the Burley:VA ratio in ODF is more on the Burley side--not to mention, with both leaf types hot-pressed together in ODF, might mute and smooth out a few of the "edges" of both...creates a smooth smoke, but there's a sacrifice of a little character. I think Pease might have made the call to treat the KY and VA differently/separately and then press them afterward, if I'm guessing as to the method. In cooking, especially Chinese cooking, timing and adding things in the right amount builds upon the flavor, rather than using one technique to do it all. If that's the case, good show, Greg.

* As for stronger nicotine, they're quite equal. I'm guessing the hot-pressed Burley in ODF is what's purring under the hood, and the Kentucky is moving along Navigator. The Navigator hits me quicker than ODF, but levels out just as fast. ODF can "accumulate" in my system if I was overzealous (or not paying attention) and chose a larger bowl to fill. Neither would be good on an empty stomach. I tend to grab the same bowls for smoking each of these, and so far they're quite manageable, pushing high-octane qualifying weight, but haven't gotten unruly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...resuming course:

I'm having my ninth bowl of Navigator out of this tin as I type this. Each time I smoke it, it pushes me that much more into "favorite" category. It's going to give fans of ODF a real hard decision to make if they are trying to streamline their cellars.

Ever have tobacco that works so well you forget you're smoking, it just kind of melds with whatever is happening? Sometimes this is an indicator, for me, of a good smoke. You can jump in anytime and concentrate on enjoying it, but "dropping the subject" while smoking is also a factor. Akin to being outside on a nice day, you don't spend every second counting how great it is, you eventually just sink into it, let it become a component of you, and go with the flow...

...8)

I am now on my second tin of Navigator and I really enjoy this blend. After I smoked one bowl I ordered 34 tins of it, that is how much I liked it. I never do that after just one bowl, but this stuff was that good. I find it to be very different than ODF which I also love and have a lot cellared. To my tastes the ODF has a more smokey, meaty flavor where the Navigator is more sweet due to the rum casing. Both are world class blends in my opinion and I think both will age beautifully. I do think the Navigator will have a shelf life due to the rum casing where as the ODF will be great after 20 years.

Kyle, great reviews and descriptions of both blends. I like your analogy of the banjo and guitar and jazz quartet.

Just a bit stronger on Vitamin N than ODF in my book. But it's real close. To take from Kyle's thoughts, Navigator is a Jazz Quintet and ODF more of a baroque band. The rum is just noticeable to me if I stick my nose in the tin. Navigator is more fully flavored than ODF. But well balanced. I was pretty wowed by ODF at Chicago when it was released (last year) if you recall, so this is saying something about Navigator. Greg has really been hitting some home runs.

8oz tins available soon. :sunny:

Glad you're diggin' it, Carlos. It's been a week and three days now of nothing but Navigator. I look forward to it each time. Considering my rough start with the sample, the gnomes hiding in the tins when our leaf gets sealed up really performed some magic.

8oz tins? :shock: Considering the scant bowls I load up (and still get quite a nicotine whole-body-buzz :lol:) that sucker would last me a year if I popped one open. I think this whole time I've only smoked about three flakes. :lol!:

8)

Carlos":0fnhsf8c said:
Just a bit stronger on Vitamin N than ODF in my book. But it's real close. To take from Kyle's thoughts, Navigator is a Jazz Quintet and ODF more of a baroque band. The rum is just noticeable to me if I stick my nose in the tin. Navigator is more fully flavored than ODF. But well balanced. I was pretty wowed by ODF at Chicago when it was released (last year) if you recall, so this is saying something about Navigator. Greg has really been hitting some home runs.

No doubt about it man, this Navigator stuff is some seriously good tobacco! I too get a stronger N kick from Navigator than I do from ODF. It is really hard to pick which one I like better, as they both seem to satisfy in different areas. From ODF, I get a lot of cured meat-like tastes, and it's a blend I look forward to smoking up at the pool this summer while kielbasas and burgers eminate their heavenly odors from the grill, and a nice hoppy IPA graces my taste buds....all the while puffing contently on ODF.

Navigator, on the other hand, seems to really satisfy as an after dinner smoke. After consuming a burger and a dog, this is the smoke I crave after the meal, while popping a nice full bodied Belgian ale. It almost reminds me of the same satisfaction I get from a cigar after a big meal. What a wonderful blend and the fact that it will soon be available in 8 oz tins makes me straight up giddy! :cheers:

Cheers,
Scott

Carlos":aqgdbbxj said:
Had to open another tin. Wonderful high quality hay-like scent with a touch of rum. Fantastic!
Had to comment on this observation as well. Agree wholeheartedly with your description. It's like Rattray Old Gowrie (quintessential hay-like Va flavors) amped up with some G&H Dark Flake unscented with a little bit of rum added for good measure.....and a little hint of cigar-like flavors now and again. Love this stuff!

-Scott

Nav is one of the few tobaccos I sniff-huff the unburnt stuff while in the tin. It smells amazing. Not more amazing than the flavor when smoking it, but I hardly do that with other tins of bacca.

Not sure if there's too many cob-nerds reading this, but try some in a small MM...really gives a different angle to Navigator.

Between this and recently, Robusto, boy am I a happy camper. Thinking about selling any McClelland in my cellar. :lol: Need more space. :twisted:

Cobbin' it up again with Navigator. The unique thing about Navigator is though it smokes densely, it is not a terribly dense tobacco. It's actually quite delicate. What I've experienced so far is that it can actually dry itself out (at least in my arid neck of the woods) as it is smoked--it sounds weird, but this stuff needs the moisture that it comes with in the tin (again, at least for me around the desert). A few other delicate leafs (like Embarcadero) can do this, too.

Cobs tend to soak up moisture pretty quickly, and retain it--kind of a good news/bad news thing. However with Navigator, it lends back a bit of that moisture and keeps the temperature down and the flavor up.

One of these days, Greg, if you're reading this, fire up that sole cob you have, and do it with Navigator. Seriously, brother. :) Just make sure it's a smaller one. There's a reason why I'm thankful for the MM Washington models!

8)

It will kind of create it's own dust in the tin. Perfect for topping the bowl for easy starts. Definitely has more flavor than ODF. Just completing my 2nd tin since the Chicago show. Amazing how it does not last long around here. Been comparing it against ODF. ODF is more spicy upon first light. Navigator is sweeter, with a nice burley feel to the smoke. A toasted effect. Not that "toast" taste I get from Dunhills, but a nice lightly toasted flavor comes through. Smoke you can really feel with your tongue. You can roll it around and feel the silky texture. A most satisfying blend. :sunny:

C & D and the boys were on hand at the StL show and I tried a couple of bowls of the Navigator there.

Keep in mind that I'm usually a VA or Vaper FLAKE guy. The best blends I've discovered over the last year were the triumvirate of Brown Clunee, Old Gowrie, and Hal o the Wynd. Also, in general, anything McClelland decides to put into flake form (Christmas Cheer, Beacon, Dark Star, Tudor Castle) turns right into crack for me. I can't get enough of the stuff.

So when I tried Navigator, my immediate reaction was that the rum was not anywhere there and neither was much sweetness. What was there was a bit harsh for me--not necessarily loaded with nicotine, but just harsh.

I guess I'm kind of a Philistine when it comes to this stuff. I like a lot of cream and sugar in my coffee.

I won 8 tins in the silent auction, so I'm hoping that age will mellow it out a bit.

Carlos":xipev6iq said:

FYI

8 oz tins now up at 4Nog!

:bball:

Cheers,

RR