I just tried GL Pease Navigator

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well........

Cracked my tin and have now had 2 bowls in different pipes (both Pete's).

Have to say at this point I'm less than impressed! Yes, the tin aroma is intoxicating. I had high hopes based on this.

Initial lights were promising. It rubbed out just right and the moisture content was perfect for right out of the tin.

Yet after it got going, there was a drop off of flavor and it digressed into a wash of muddled components hard to identify.

The tin purchase was from Jan/'13. So that's about 6 months. No way to identify if this was the OR..

OK, so I've only tried it in 2 pipes. And it didn't blow my skirt up. And yes, I'll be trying this in many other pipes soon. As well as prep methods, although I do like to rub out flakes as that has always yielded the best experience.

No, I'm not giving up on this so fast. Could be a matter of the pipe/age of the weed/prep/smoking style/expectations/etc.....

All I'm saying is that right now I'm not impressed.

:eek:

Cheers,

RR

Rande, when I first got my "pre-release" sample from Greg, it hadn't done squat in any sealed environment. It was pretty rough. Not knowing, I swore there was Perique in it for the longest time, and Greg just laughed at me. :lol:

When I got a tin, it took me quite a few bowls to start dialing it in. It had mellowed and changed considerably, even though it might have only been in the tin for a couple of months. It isn't an "instant gratification" tobacco...there's a lot going on. Not to say you're nuts or that it's likely you might genuinely not like it, you'll have to take my word for it--there's quality leaf treated very nicely in that tin of Navigator you have. I have yet to smoke anything even remotely similar to it, the Kentucky in it flips tricks. This blend truly opened my eyes. Time will only tell if this stuff will become better with age, or stay about the same.

If you don't like it, hit me up, I'll dig in my cellar and trade you out for it. I like it THAT much. :)

8)

Kyle Weiss":blq72k16 said:
Rande, when I first got my "pre-release" sample from Greg, it hadn't done squat in any sealed environment. It was pretty rough. Not knowing, I swore there was Perique in it for the longest time, and Greg just laughed at me. :lol:

When I got a tin, it took me quite a few bowls to start dialing it in. It had mellowed and changed considerably, even though it might have only been in the tin for a couple of months. It isn't an "instant gratification" tobacco...there's a lot going on.

OK, I understand what you're saying. I've only had 3 bowls now (one more since yesterday when I posted the above). So I'll give it the chance to go through its learning curve.

And again, 2 or 3 bowls do not make a definitive judgement. Just my initial impressions FWIW!

Not to say you're nuts or that it's likely you might genuinely not like it, you'll have to take my word for it--there's quality leaf treated very nicely in that tin of Navigator you have. I have yet to smoke anything even remotely similar to it, the Kentucky in it flips tricks. This blend truly opened my eyes. Time will only tell if this stuff will become better with age, or stay about the same.

If you don't like it, hit me up, I'll dig in my cellar and trade you out for it. I like it THAT much. :)

Kyle, while I genuinely appreciate the offer (and I do) I'll continue to try and suss out the promise this makes.

I've come around to a few other blends over time, and this may be one of them. Time will tell!!

And I've frequently been accused of being nutz..... NBD!!

:joker:

8)

Crap, I just remembered I have to mail something out.

Thinking out loud, sorry.

Getting some Nav through trade! :D

Kyle Weiss":fhdp2gtz said:

When I got a tin, it took me quite a few bowls to start dialing it in. It had mellowed and changed considerably, even though it might have only been in the tin for a couple of months. It isn't an "instant gratification" tobacco...there's a lot going on. Not to say you're nuts or that it's likely you might genuinely not like it, you'll have to take my word for it--there's quality leaf treated very nicely in that tin of Navigator you have. I have yet to smoke anything even remotely similar to it, the Kentucky in it flips tricks. This blend truly opened my eyes. Time will only tell if this stuff will become better with age, or stay about the same.

8)
I'm coming around to this Kyle. Found out that the the Tobacconist Inc Poker is the best foil for this, at least so far.

Further experimentation in order tho..........

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

This is one I've been putting off... I'm going to include a few tins to my next order. Will report after the trial period.

And I've been smoking my cobs a lot lately, so I'm going to take Kyle's advice... There is an unsmoked cob in my drawer waiting for some Navigator

Small cob, Shane. This stuff kicks like a mule. :D

You fill a Natural Freehand with this stuff....woooweee! :drunken: :puke:

I've been on a cob-kick lately, too.

Think I have found the perfect combination for Navigator.

A few weeks ago, I got in an estate Tilshead 'dog from brother Nathan at Viking Club Pipes. After 4-5 bowls of strictly Navigator it's becoming apparent that this pipe and this 'baccy are made for one another.

:rabbit: 

The pipe is terrific in all ways, only one of a few straight stems I own (I'm primarily a "bent" guy, like my profile says). The draw is wide open without being too free, if you see what I mean.

And Navigator just seems to sing in this as well. Wasn't sure about it at first, but think that after the first few non-starters and jarring it up for a few months has made all the difference.

In any case, this is clearly a match made in heaven. From now on, the Tilshead and Navigator will be dedicated.

Kudos to GLP for creating this blend, and to mattia for enabling this!!

:king: 

Cheers,

RR

Only problem is, some tobaccos can give me a right-painful headache if I'm not ready for it.   Navigator does this once in a while. Yesterday was that day.

That's what ya get for meddling with the strong stuff.  :twisted:

Glad you found a good combo, Rande.  :D

8)

Kyle Weiss":okdy58l8 said:
Only problem is, some tobaccos can give me a right-painful headache if I'm not ready for it.   Navigator does this once in a while.   Yesterday was that day.

That's what ya get for meddling with the strong stuff.  :twisted:

Glad you found a good combo, Rande.  :D

8)
Truth be told, that bowl of Navigator kick my bony lil' arse yesterday.

Got the nic alert in the back of my throat after halfway down. Put it down for 10 min or so and drank some water. Otherwise I'd have had a  bad case of the hookers (what my late Pap called the hiccups).

Carried on after a relight, and the flavor was fine. Yet somewhere down the last 1/4 I started to feel vaguely nauseous. Cut it off right there and dumped the rest. Had to lie down for a while until the feeling passed.

Never had Navigator hit me like this before. And I HATE nic effects such as this!  Guess I'll go in more slowly next bowl.

:suspect: 

Cheers,

RR

Navigator is a sleeping bear.    It's not the strongest tobacco I've ever smoked, but it's up there.  For some reason it gets into the system really quickly, and heavily.   If there's any urge whatsoever to puff fast, wrap-up your smoke quickly or no time to let the bowlful rest for a few minutes, not only will you miss a lot of Navigators flavor qualities, but you'll risk a nicotine trip.  

Greg made this stuff so fascinating and delicious it's almost cruel to have it be so strong.  :lol:   Flavor-wise, I'd just love to pack the biggest pipe I have and smoke this stuff for three leisurely hours.   Unfortunately, I'd probably suffer cardiac arrest, so I pair small pipe with snail-paced smoking.   :lol:

8)

PS--Rande, a case of the "hookers" sounds like some of the neighborhoods I've had to live in around Reno. :lol: