I just tried GL Pease's Jackknife Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Once again, a generous portion (just enough to get me hooked, I guess) of Jackknife Plug was staring at me, taunting me from a bag with its name, and a disclaimer: "Not for the faint of heart."

My evening started out mellow enough, grilled chicken Caesar (including lightly grilling a split romaine heart--great way to go, by the way)... then a frozen grape bar. A great meal deserves a good smoke.

I originally picked up and packed my Diplomat cob with some Patton "Quadruple Virginia," but there was something in there that was VERY bitter at first light and after 1/4 of a bowl, or I just ruined my tongue with that frozen grape bar. Either way, something was amiss. That's when I heard further taunting... "Weiss, Jackknife, now."

I emptied the QV (I'll get to that later) and heeded the call.

Excellent move. The plug took some effort to rub out, but I ain't no sissy [sic]! Bring it! Packed, locked and loaded. Brace yourself. Here it comes...

...not what I expected. It smells fiery. It's chunky. It lit perfectly, and was a little dry (dry enough, in other words). I was instantly greeted by a dynamic whirlwind of solid edginess, but was followed by a very faint molasses "nose," and a fresh-cut alfalfa top end. Almost immediately I felt the vitamin N, but it wasn't too bad--I hadn't piped in a day or so, to be expected. Slow and steady. Got stung in the nose a little bit on some hot lights (think "wasabi" or "hot mustard), but that was my own fault. Spicy and woody notes came through at the end to really mesh wonderfully with the alfalfa and molasses notes... the fullness was ever-so enjoyable, but this really is a mellow smoke--provided you treat it like a curious but still wild animal that just might want to take a scrap from your hand. No sudden moves...easy... easy...

...I loved this stuff. It must be respected. If it is, it holds the most dynamic Virginia smoke I've had to date. Not what I was expecting. Paired great with some Tito's vodka as a palette cleanser, but there was zero aftertaste, except the good stuff. The clean, straightforwardness of this blend shocked me about as much as the wildness it held within. I felt terrible abandoning Quad Virginia to switch to this, but my instincts were right when I was making my decision this evening, and I always say, trust your instincts--and your nose.

Quadruple Virginia will get another test some other time, I'm not going to judge it base on tonight's poor introduction. Tilt's got some good blends, and I have to go back, and justly so.

Jackknife, on the other hand, has all the intrigue and complexity of the wilds itself. Unpredictable, but if you get to know it, give it respect and a little time, will be just the kind of smoke you're looking for when Latakia is too obvious an answer and you want something else, but want something a little (a lot?) less subtle than a regular straight Virginia. I'd like to know how the new "ready rubbed" mixture compares to the plug, but if they're the same, I'm going to buy gobs of this stuff to smoke... in small amounts, mind you. 8)

...and before I knew it, because it stayed lit so well, the bowl was gone, and I wanted more.

Pease, you did it again. Don't stop.

Kyle wrote:

"a very faint molasses "nose," and a fresh-cut alfalfa top end. Almost immediately I felt the vitamin N, but it wasn't too bad. . .Spicy and woody notes came through at the end to really mesh wonderfully with the alfalfa and molasses notes... the fullness was ever-so enjoyable"

I think the sizable amount of dark-fired KY is the likely culprit regarding its strength. I think its description as molasses, spicy and woody is quite correct, not that I have a special expertise regarding KY, but it rings true to my sensibilities.

Another great review, Kyle. Question: what are you going to do when you have no more new tobacco to review? Will you want to continue reviewing but provide commentary on non-new tobaccos that catch your eye? If so you do realize that you'll have to change the titles?

alfredo_buscatti":mxw5jqtd said:
Kyle wrote:

"a very faint molasses "nose," and a fresh-cut alfalfa top end. Almost immediately I felt the vitamin N, but it wasn't too bad. . .Spicy and woody notes came through at the end to really mesh wonderfully with the alfalfa and molasses notes... the fullness was ever-so enjoyable"

I think the sizable amount of dark-fired KY is the likely culprit regarding its strength. I think its description as molasses, spicy and woody is quite correct, not that I have a special expertise regarding KY, but it rings true to my sensibilities.
What I found odd was the lack of fruit most people in other reviews I read seemed to find...which is okay, because I'm going to smoke this stuff more often. I'm going to go searching for other flavors in the upcoming next few bowls, try switching up the pipes, time of day, what I drink along side it, drying it out even more, etc...

...fire-cured tobacco is really making me happy right now! It has a quality unlike air- or flue-cured. It's the second fire-cured tobacco I have tried, C&D's "Mississippi Mud" being the other, and I wasn't all that happy with a lot of the flavors in there--the Latakia and the fire "taste" was what got me on track with it in the first place, though. I didn't notice much of a nicotine difference between "Miss Mud" and other tobaccos at the time, though. Jackknife is just loaded, though, for some reason. Strain of tobacco? Growing location/method? *shrug*

alfredo_buscatti":mxw5jqtd said:
Another great review, Kyle. Question: what are you going to do when you have no more new tobacco to review? Will you want to continue reviewing but provide commentary on non-new tobaccos that catch your eye? If so you do realize that you'll have to change the titles?
Thanks!! :)

:shock: N...no more tobacco to review? :( That's going to happen? :( NoooooOoOOoOOOO! :affraid:

Wait, I stressed too soon... :lol:

There will always be blends that come and go, but I think the next step would be to revisit certain blends I dismissed, or was underwhelmed by, figuring out how to maybe blend together two blends that were mediocre to make a new blend (also using "spice" tobacco to liven things up here and there), pairing specific smokes to specific drinks...

"I just mixed [tobacco 1] and [tobacco 2]"

"I just revisited [tobacco I didn't like before]"

*shrug*

I think that revisiting is a grand strategy. I can't tell you the number of times just smoking a few more bowls, or putting a tobacco down for a few months and coming back to it has showed me new dimensions that I had not noticed before.

For example the My Father cigar blended by Jaime Garcia, or Jaime and his father Don Pepin Garcia (they can't get their story straight as regards the nature of the collaboration) (just like in the Mafia, in the cigar world once a blender's repute grows large, he is awarded the appellation). I smoked a few boxes and ordered a third in 4 or 5/11. I wasn't impressed, not like I'd been with the last boxes. So I put them down in 6/11 and forgot them. Last week I smoked another, and it knocked my socks off. The flavors were complex, very tasty, and what's more, according to my palate, they were focused. Yes, focused; as in a shape. They had acquired a certain flavor dimension born of a combination of tastes. Age is supposed to do this.

Now the Don Carlos by Arturo Fuente is a renowned cigar. I bought my second box last fall and loved them just as much as I had the first box. But smoking one recently I realized that yes, the cigar has complexity, but it has no focus. The cigar tastes like it has many competing flavors. I'm going to put them down until the spring, and my guess is that they will have acquired focus by then. If not they will continue to age.

What I'm saying is that not only does revisiting a tobacco change one's experience of it, but also that the tobacco changes; it ages; it gets better. Moreover, in the time away from a cigar or a pipe blend, your palate will continue to improve. You will have learned a trick or two since the last time you encountered that smoke.

I do love pipes, but I have always loved tobacco that much more.

alfredo_buscatti":so14c93q said:
What I'm saying is that not only does revisiting a tobacco change one's experience of it, but also that the tobacco changes; it ages; it gets better. Moreover, in the time away from a cigar or a pipe blend, your palate will continue to improve. You will have learned a trick or two since the last time you encountered that smoke.
Aye, sir. I hear that. 8) Tasting is tasting is tasting--scotch, cheese, wine, tobacco, meats, coffee, tea... there's as much dimension, experience, learning, and ultimately, enjoyment involved as one is willing to put into it.

Really like JNP. Been through a tin, and have a couple in waiting. Also just got in a tin of the ready rubbed which I have yet to open.

Good stuff!

Cheers,

RR

Again, I'd love to hear people's reaction to the ready-rubbed Jackknife product that more recently. It'll help me decide what to order when I do. 8)

Well, I havent tried it yet, But , I was ordering acouple of MM cobs today, and thought I might as well get some more GLP Fillmore, and then I noticed the jacknife plug on the page, So I threw in 2 tins of it.

I cant wait, judging by everybodys response to it.
And I do love the Virginias.

Dusty, all I can say is: "...brace yourself."

Only via experience and empathy shall ye know... :lol: 8)

I want to like this tobacco so bad it hurts. The smell in the tin is just about the best my nose has ever enjoyed, and I have a thing for plug tobacco...once I light it up though...the flavor is just too strong and pungant for my tastes. It's the opposite of smooth and sweet which is what I like about McClelland VAs. I get the same result from C&D VAs, which I guess makes sense since they blend for Mr. Pease I believe.

I think I'm going to give it another whirl and see if my tastes have changed any since last I sampled JKP. I'm going to enjoy this baccy if it kills me dammit! :lol:

Interesting review, Kyle. Thanks for sharing.

I struggled a lot with this blend. The first part was how to cut it. Tried many different approaches, but thanks to someone here (I think it was Hermit's or Yak's suggestion, I don't remembe which) I finally settled on large scissors as the best method to slice the plug. The plug is really a cake, not a plug in the sense of British plugs. That is ok, but was a bit disappointing when opening the first tin, just because I was expecting something else.

Then, I could not get any sweetness out of this blend. Tried several different cuts. The tobacco does taste differently with different cuts, and finally settled on thin slices (well, as thin as I could slice them without destroying the integrity of the cake) that I tried to smoke as intact as possible. This seems to maximize the flavor. Also played with moisture levels, but could never get to a point that satisfied me.

I think Storm_Crow is right regarding C&D, McClelland, and Virginias. But perhaps what this blend needs is aging. I don't know and I really don't care. You know why? Because I found Triple Play, and that thing is simply delicious. I think the only difference between Jackknife Plug and Triple Play is the addition of Perique, but I must say that it's like the two blends are not even from the same planet. Triple Play is not sweet, either, but I'm sure it will develop to it given enough time. I already have a couple of lb in my cellar.

Storm_Crow":v7sgy43l said:
I want to like this tobacco so bad it hurts. The smell in the tin is just about the best my nose has ever enjoyed, and I have a thing for plug tobacco...once I light it up though...the flavor is just too strong and pungant for my tastes. It's the opposite of smooth and sweet which is what I like about McClelland VAs. I get the same result from C&D VAs, which I guess makes sense since they blend for Mr. Pease I believe.

I think I'm going to give it another whirl and see if my tastes have changed any since last I sampled JKP. I'm going to enjoy this baccy if it kills me dammit! :lol:
I admire your dedication! I'm also curious about your reaction to this one, and wonder what's going on. It could simply be a body chemistry thing. We're all different. There are blends that others swear are the smoothest things on the planet, and which sting me faster than a mouthful of wasps, and blends that others complain about being harsh that are like butter to me. Sorry to say, just as some have fallen instantly in love with it, you may never end up finding peace with JKP, though things do change, sometimes. (For instance, my tolerance for strong tobaccos ebbs and flows throughout the year. I can smoke things in winter that I can't tolerate at all well in summer.)

And, yes, C&D manufacture my blends to my protocols, and we do use a lot of the same leaf, but our methods and blends are different.

Wet Dottle":v7sgy43l said:
I struggled a lot with this blend. The first part was how to cut it. Tried many different approaches, but thanks to someone here (I think it was Hermit's or Yak's suggestion, I don't remembe which) I finally settled on large scissors as the best method to slice the plug. The plug is really a cake, not a plug in the sense of British plugs. That is ok, but was a bit disappointing when opening the first tin, just because I was expecting something else.

Then, I could not get any sweetness out of this blend. Tried several different cuts. The tobacco does taste differently with different cuts, and finally settled on thin slices (well, as thin as I could slice them without destroying the integrity of the cake) that I tried to smoke as intact as possible. This seems to maximize the flavor. Also played with moisture levels, but could never get to a point that satisfied me.

I think Storm_Crow is right regarding C&D, McClelland, and Virginias. But perhaps what this blend needs is aging. I don't know and I really don't care. You know why? Because I found Triple Play, and that thing is simply delicious. I think the only difference between Jackknife Plug and Triple Play is the addition of Perique, but I must say that it's like the two blends are not even from the same planet. Triple Play is not sweet, either, but I'm sure it will develop to it given enough time. I already have a couple of lb in my cellar.
The recipe for Triple Play is quite different from JackKnife's. In addition to the perique, t's got much less dark-fired, and the virginias are balanced slightly differently. But, if you find Triple Play sweet, I'm surprised you're not finding that sweetness in JKP.

These plugs are fairly easily sliced with a sharp knife. I wrote something here discussing preparation. And, preparation makes a HUGE difference in the way the stuff smokes. If you cut it thick, or thin, fully rubbed or coarse slices, it can behaves as though it's different blends. Aging will, of course, change it, but the leaf is already fully aged when we use it, and the maturation process the tobaccos go through whilst under pressure is pretty dramatic. Again, it just might be a body chemistry thing.

Well, that explains it! Somehow, I thought Triple Play = Jackknife Plug + Perique, but always found the blends to be so different that I was amazed at what difference the Perique was making. :tongue: Triple Play has become a favorite. And no, I did not find Triple Play to be sweet at all, either, but that's ok because I like it just the way it is. I would say that "musty" is the best term I can come up to describe it, which is wrong because there is nothing moldy or stale about it.

I'm glad when Greg can lend some credibility to the "body chemistry," thing (and I even suggest at times that chemistry can change throughout the day, too)... there just isn't going to be a mix for every single smoker. It's downright impossible. Evidenced by the fact there are so many blends and blenders out there.

Too many times, I think, folks will take exception you don't like their favorite blend, rather than figure you're just at a different stage in the game, or more likely, programmed with a different set of senses.

It ain't personal, it's just pipe smoking--to enjoy, each his own. 8)

Jackknife just does it for me. I'm glad it does, too!

Just got the ready rubbed version in the mail from 4noggins, it comes in kindof a rough looking shag cut with some pieces still stuck to eachother like a piece of flake. The moisture i very close to what I like to smoke virginias at, about 20 mins drying time is all it took to be perfect to me. Upon opening the tin I got a deep dark tobacco smell mixed with some hay...very earthy, savory smell.

I rubbed it out bit more than it already was, let it dry for 20 mins, and packed a never been smoked MM diplomat to make sure i didn't get any other flavors in there. Upon lighting I didn't get much flavor, but I suspect that was a function of just having finished a large coffee. After the false light and tamp, I began to get some really nice sweetness on the tip of my tongue backed up by some earthy mustyness, as the bowl burned down the up front sweetness faded into the background a little and the predominant taste became the earthy mustiness....I'm really enjoying this stuff.

It makes alot of smoke too...which I love. I hate having to puff too much to get the volume that I like....this is not a problem with JKP. Also, keeping this lit is no problem at all...I hear that some people have trouble keeping the plug cut lit...idk if thats a function of the presentation or people not preparing it correctly, but this cut isn't difficult to keep going at all....slow puffskeep it going almost indefinately...I only had to relight once.

All in all I'd say this is right up my alley, sweet, musty and savory along the lines of HotW but sweeter...better imo....and that for me is saying something cause I really like HotW alot. I'll definately be buying more of this in the future.......bravo Mr. Pease

I love the JKP! I've been smoking it almost every evening for a couple months now. I use small Jost or Tinsky pipes for the JKP. I don't cut the tobacco but just kind of pull the tobacco apart and tear the leafs into smaller pieces. When I've got enough tobacco to fill the pipe I sorta roll the tobacco pieces into small balls and fill the pipe. I know it sounds a little strange but it works for me.

Charlie R

charliepipes":e6zbajze said:
I love the JKP! I've been smoking it almost every evening for a couple months now. I use small Jost or Tinsky pipes for the JKP. I don't cut the tobacco but just kind of pull the tobacco apart and tear the leafs into smaller pieces. When I've got enough tobacco to fill the pipe I sorta roll the tobacco pieces into small balls and fill the pipe. I know it sounds a little strange but it works for me.

Charlie R
Glad you're enjoying it! If you're not slicing through the bar, though, you're not getting the "blend," but rather a random collection of the leaf that went into it. It can be fun, that way, since every bowl will be different, but...

I wrote an article about this very thing in the Chronicles.

Also, fun is that Pipes Magazine just published a fabulous review of the ReadyRubbed. It's a great read.

Also, fun is that Pipes Magazine just published a fabulous review of the ReadyRubbed. It's a great read.
[/quote]

This blend s new form sounds like just what I'm looking for !! From whom can it be purchased and when ? Inquiring tongues want to know :p

monbla256":zeb4h0vp said:
This blend s new form sounds like just what I'm looking for !! From whom can it be purchased and when ? Inquiring tongues want to know :p
looks like smokingpipes.com, 4noggins.com, and pipesandcigars.com all have it in stock.