I just tried Reiner's Long Golden Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I told you all I had a back log of samples from the generous Brothers!

Today's choice was Reiner's LGF--only because I'm attracted to flakes. I don't know what it is, but the cross-sections and "sedimentary layers" remind me of looking at a cross-section of earth, something I do in my job checkin' out minerals. It's just pretty. The colors, the consistency...

...this one is sliced REAL thin, too. It rubbed out beautifully into some very nice ribbons. The sample I got (thanks again, s.ireland, wherever you are!) was the perfect dryness. Into my Jilsa blowfish it went, which is a fantastic flake pipe (and it looks cool, too).

Lighting up nice, I got very, very faint notes of beet, fresh cut hay and some toastiness. This is a VERY mild tobacco. I found myself really trying to get some body out of it, but while lacking body, it made up for in dynamics. It's just very, VERY subtle. I made a mistake drinking some light tea with it, just because I needed a build-up of flavor on the palette, not to wash it away. The first half of the bowl stayed to this effect. The last half of the bowl left the beet/fresh cut hay and made way to a very faintly vanilla (not the cased kind, but vanilla bean--natural), a touch of pepper, and very faint waxiness. When I say "faint," I mean it. Not what I expected from a blend with some Burley, because it doesn't have Burley characteristics, perhaps except for the subtlety. Even the Perique was so background, it really was just a dusting, which works for me.

That said, it's a little light for my taste, but not to be denied. I've been hitting the Jackknife plug a lot lately, so it's kind of hard to go to something like this and expect a stampede of intensity. It'd be much better early in the day, or for some, an "all day smoke," and for those looking for their first non-aromatic, this would be choice. It smokes cool, has interesting notes, and for me at least, was a two-light smoke.

It's wonderful, and I'm going back for more, just not the evening "hard hitter" I've come to really be into at this point. The mildness is a benefit rather than "something is missing," because nothing is missing at all--my tongue had just been trampled by the joy of what I'd been choosing lately!

Good Morning, Kyle...

Thanks for the review! I've been curious about Reiner blends. My rotation includes big taste English blends from GLP and milder, more subtle blends like Dunhill 965. In between is FMOTT and 7 Seas Royal. As you so aptly pointed out, good milder blends need to be 'sipped' in order to bring out their characteristics. This time of year is tough because I am banned from smoking in the house or car, so I have to sit outside all bundled up and shivvering which does not lend itself very well to sipping and slowly enjoying a good blend! :(

Russ

I too had a sample of long golden slices from shane, at the beginning of ,,of,,???whatever you call this state of mind concerning tobacco's.

But, I started a journal way back then,(a few months ago :) )
and in my journal, I gave it a high rating, and I put it on my list of tobacco's to buy.
So, it must have been good :confused: its just that I have sampled so many since, that I cant remember.

I am drawn to flakes too.

LGF gets high marks from a lot of people, and for good reason: It's damn good. It's just not bold. I'm quite used to anything in flake form to be something that stands up and says hello, so this one's mildness just "faked me out" a bit. Like going to pick up a foam rock you think is going to weigh 60 pounds and knocking yourself on your arse because you overcompensated. :lol:

I have this habit of not reading other folks' reviews on tobacco until I've had a chance to try it. Meaning, when I put it on "the list," it's just ingredients and generalities only. Later, after I've had a bowl or two, I compare my tastes with other reviews, see to whom I'm similar in taste, experience, etc. It's a good method for not prejudging and preconceiving, but leaves me vulnerable to surprises.

Simply "going slow" on this one really wasn't the entire key to its success: the first half of the bowl was so light, it was like smoking nothing at all. To delicate tongues, this might be ideal. The latter half of the bowl, which is almost always moister and bolder, was one to slow down and consider, though.

If I had a metaphor for this one, it'd be "trying to catch a plastic shopping bag in a gusty wind eddie." In other words, sit back and pull an "American Beauty," sit back and relax with it directly, rather than trying to catch it. Your approach may vary.

I had a feeling LGF would be a perique blend Kyle might like... Thanks for the review, Kyle!

I just smoked a bowl of LGF in a group 3 poker while taking my dog for a walk. This blend is an all day for me (I don't tire of the flavor like some do; claiming its too rich of an aniseed note) but i really enjoy it for the first smoke of the day, like you, as well as a pre-dinner/sunset/dusk smoke. FWIW the sample that I sent to you as well as Dusty was from a one-and-a-half year-old tin.

I wonder what Kyle would think of this 8-year-old Solani 633 flake I just opened the other day....hmmm...

s.ireland":tnq4k89c said:
I had a feeling LGF would be a perique blend Kyle might like... Thanks for the review, Kyle!

I just smoked a bowl of LGF in a group 3 poker while taking my dog for a walk. This blend is an all day for me (I don't tire of the flavor like some do; claiming its too rich of an aniseed note) but i really enjoy it for the first smoke of the day, like you, as well as a pre-dinner/sunset/dusk smoke. FWIW the sample that I sent to you as well as Dusty was from a one-and-a-half year-old tin.

I wonder what Kyle would think of this 8-year-old Solani 633 flake I just opened the other day....hmmm...
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My style of smoking lends itself nicely to a good, strong-bodied and moderate nic-content smoke. LGF was an excellent choice! I'll be getting more, I just have to save it for the right time and space.

I read a lot of people getting anise/licorice notes, and I didn't get one...not a single one. And I *HATE HATE* licorice. Funny how our sense all work, eh?

Thanks for letting me know the age on the tin, all info is helpful!

I'm not going to say "no" to other tobaccos, but rest-assured, I'm still up to my eyeballs in sample baggies and unopened tins!!! 8) If it weren't for my exploration whimsy I'd be overwhelmed. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":rsi6dnw7 said:
s.ireland":rsi6dnw7 said:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My style of smoking lends itself nicely to a good, strong-bodied and moderate nic-content smoke. LGF was an excellent choice! I'll be getting more, I just have to save it for the right time and space.

I read a lot of people getting anise/licorice notes, and I didn't get one...not a single one. And I *HATE HATE* licorice. Funny how our sense all work, eh?

Thanks for letting me know the age on the tin, all info is helpful!

I'm not going to say "no" to other tobaccos, but rest-assured, I'm still up to my eyeballs in sample baggies and unopened tins!!! 8) If it weren't for my exploration whimsy I'd be overwhelmed. :lol:
Glad you enjoy the LGF and really glad you got a year and a half sample. Early on in my pipe career I tried a fresh tin of Reiner LGF and found it too harsh and bitey. I jarred up the remainder of the tin after having a half dozen similar experiences and revisited it about a year and a half later. I found that it has mellowed appreciably, the components had melded together nicely into one cohesive unit, and there was no longer any bite. IMO, definitely a blend that comes into its own after a year or two....I can only imagine how good it would be at the 5 and 10 year mark.

-Scott

Hey all, I really enjoy LGF as a nice mellow, sweet change of pace. I'd REALLY like to find something a little less pricey to get in bulk that's comparable. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

It is a lighter blend, but has had a pretty strong following for years. I find it a step up in taste (and cost!) from Orlick's Golden Sliced. It's a nice, easy morning smoke and it blends well with other tobaccos.

Natch