I just visted Sacramento's Briar Patch (Fair Oaks)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I have to apologize to loneredtree and maybe even Puff Daddy for not letting them know I'd be in the neighborhood, it was a last-minute trip with my buddy jaquesdubois (James) for a trip to Fry's, not necessarily a pipe or tobacco run. But, we were there.

My impressions?

Nice shop, but tries way too hard. The guys there were nice enough, dressed more like they worked in a suit shop (waistcoat, tie, suit coat, leather-soled dress shoes), and gave us an almost too thorough tour (which took away from smoking/relaxing time), wanted to show us each and every pipe to try and sell us (we apparently were not getting out of there without buying a pipe or four...or six... :scratch: ) showed off somewhat neat amenities like a for-pay cigar lounge with TV, stereo, stocked fridge, microwave, delivery menus, personalized rentable humidor "cubbies" (complete with engraved brass name plate). The guy who gave the tour insisted we sit and stay a while...

...their pipe selection was pretty good, kind of on the thin side for the $-cob to $150 range, but had plenty of estate Dunhills, Castellos, Radice, Wiley and other makers. Each were almost randomly presented and brought to us while sitting, like desserts at a black-tie restaurant (or paraded in front of us like high class whores, whichever you relate to). Prices were nothing special, average B&M retail, I suppose. Did I mention I knew more about pipes than the guy did? :scratch: I almost went home with a Pete 80s, but I really didn't like the grain and finish on it. The guy kept telling me, "Well, you seemed to like that one, so I'll just leave it next to you for you to decide." Great sales technique in a sense, letting the pipe talk to me, but we already talked, and decided we weren't for each other... :lol: James bought a couple of pipes, a black Pete 312 and a Savinelli "Bingwarden," some leather pipe furniture and some tobacco.

I noticed they were out of Rattray's Marlin Flake bulk on their well-stocked bulk wall, and from trying to chat up one of the sales guys a bit, figured this might be a good match for him to sample. "I can fix that..." as I happened to have a small bag of about an ounce of MF on hand. Once I pulled out the bag, he promptly and sternly said, "Oh, I'm sorry, sir, one of our policies is we don't allow outside tobacco in the store." :scratch:

"Oh, okay... I understand," I say, "however, this is... a sample for you. If that's allowed." I smiled a bit uncomfortably, because this put us both in a tough spot. He apologized a bit too much for a while, and accepted. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone that his sample wasn't from the store. I guess they were having a problem with people bringing in cigars and just abusing the place, so now there's a policy.

By the time we heard "...very good choice, sir," and "sir this" and "sir that" for the nine-hundredth time, hearing stories about guys that fly in on private jets just for poker games, it made me realize this wasn't my kind of place. I bought two ounces of HH Vintage Syrian and two ounces of Pirate Kake and figured I was alright, but the last pitch was, "We want you to go home with something from the Briar Patch, to remember your first visit here..." and presents a Dunhill pen tamper doohickey for $90 for me to buy. *sigh*

A little pushy and stiff for my tastes. I know how to brush elbows with "upscale," and this was bordering on pointlessly pretentious. Wood floors that were badly scuffed under fluorescent bulbs, jewelry store "you're gonna buy something" layout, inconsistent tobacco tins for sale (but good bulk selection), all showed a lack of detail compared to this perfection dance that was being performed. I could tell the guys were perfectly nice, but there were light years of distance between us, and I'm not sure if that was the commission talking or the guys in the suit. Maybe it was the counter running the length of the store, which seemed more like a barrier than a showcase. Most of the pipes were all on the wall, far from the customer, like a gun store. You had to ask for each one.

Sure, I'd go back to check out pipes or grab some 'bacca (they have two locations in Sac) but I don't think I'd stay long. Even though we were welcome to sample any of the bulk tobaccos for as long as we liked. The mixed message of hand-and-foot sales and please-sit-and-relax was strange. The place is set to sell, not be casual.

I'm thankful for coming home to my Tinder Box, where I can grab a leather chair, probably be offered a soda, change the radio station or turn on the game, load up my pipe with whatever tobacco I had or dig in the sample bucket and actually...

...relax.

8)

It was an experience for sure. I was hoping there'd be more Petersons, actually. I want to see some of the Holmes and the Mark Twain set. They have the Holmes at the Arden Fair store and after consulting with his colleague, they didn't know what a Mark Twain was!

The selection of the pipes both new and used was impressive, but being plied to for 45 minutes to buy a pipe was a bit tiring. I was happy to get the ones I did, but I would have liked to get on with it...And it did cut into the time- I wanted to take Kyle to my favorite restaurant in Sacramento, Famous Kabob. It's a great, great, Persian restaurant...which closed at the same time as Fry's. Oh well. Another time. It makes me happy to have Tinder Box in Reno too.

The ambiance of stores can be interesting to say the least. The store I hang out in has diverse group of regulars in terms of income, but luckily nobody there gives a rats azz one way or the other......we all just get along and have a good time.

Don't feel badly about not hollering, I wouldn't have made it yesterday anyhow Kyle. I worked back to back 15 hour night shifts wednesday and thursday, got home yesterday about 11 am a complete zombie.

I haven't been to the new Briar Patch that you went to, just the old one in the mall. I don't think I would have handled it as patiently as you guys did. In those situations I tend to be blunt at the second wave of bullshit and say "That'll be all for now, thank you". It goes downhill from there when they persist :lol:

The original store in the mall is very small, just enough room to stand at the counter and look at the pipes. They get enough foot traffic to keep them busy that a guy can say "Just looking for now, thanks" and be left alone to squeeze into a corner for a few minutes and peruse the goodies. It's an OK shop, they have some nice pipes.

The place to go in Sacramento is Tobacco Road at Fulton and Marconi ave.. It's a simple cigar and pipe joint, the owner is a really good guy, the staff are good guys, the cigar selection is good, the pipe selection kinda small but still decent. Fact is the money is in cigars and it's tough to keep inventory dollars tied up in pipes that move slowly. I guess that's the reason for the pressure you got at the other place. What's cool is the guys at Tobacco Road are into pipes, so you'll see a pipe and strike up a conversation wondering about something similar you don't see there and find that the guy knows a great deal about pipes and is willing to work for you and even be competitive on pricing. The lounge is totally relaxing, I've often been offered free beverages and other goodies, and the crowd is a nice mix of people.

If you guys make a visit again let me know. We have a pipe club here that meets twice a month too, you'd be most welcome to join me there :)

Seems like you could have snuffed out the hard sell from the salesman by casually mentioning that you were a freelance prospector from Reno... 8)

I kid!
I've been to the other store as well, the one in the Arden Mall. Nice place, nice pipes. After getting over the surprise of seeing brand new Dunhill Tanshells in the window of a mall shop, I went inside, and the staff were pretty mellow.
The clerk suggested I try some London Mixture, so I bought a tin, as well as some FVF, and went on my merry way.

I've always felt the B&M lounge ambiance a little contrived so I don't go. The exception would be if you guys were to show up. That's be worth it. A live rubber room.

Could you imagine having a bowl with Yak and Kyle in person?! It's be like TED live.

*shrug* + :face: = :p :affraid: :shock: :cheers: :roll: :D :x :scratch: and sometimes :suspect:

But most of all it would be 8)

Add PB and you'd probably have to finish your bowl in the parking lot....

:lol!: :lol!:

I'm probably more patient than I give myself credit for. :| I mean, if the guy wants to hand-deliver pipes I can't see anyway from where I'd be standing, might as well sit and smoke and at least try and shoot the sh*t a little. Unless necessary, I'm not a "conflict" guy. I just kind of shrug and let people gas on if that's what they want to do. I'm kind of a "sales tease" anyway, because as evidenced here, I'm very interested in pipes and fairly easy to get along with. I must have looked like a sucker. :lol: Oh well.

Harlock, I wasn't exactly dressed to the nines, slash sleeve button up, sweaty apple cap and cutoff shorts, unshaven--there was no way I was mistaken for a typical, polished credit-stretched Californian.

PD, thanks so much for the tip!!! We'll probably end up cruising through Sackoftomatoes sometime soon and check out Tobacco Road. When and where does your pipe club meet up, usually?

MisterE":5orkbv6d said:
I've always felt the B&M lounge ambiance a little contrived so I don't go. The exception would be if you guys were to show up. That's be worth it. A live rubber room.

Could you imagine having a bowl with Yak and Kyle in person?! It's be like TED live.

*shrug* + :face: = :p :affraid: :shock: :cheers: :roll: :D :x :scratch: and sometimes :suspect:

But most of all it would be 8)

Add PB and you'd probably have to finish your bowl in the parking lot....

:lol!: :lol!:
That'd be hilarious. :lol: I'd dig it.

One correction: PB would be on his new pink vape. 8)

The hand delivery (on a silver platter no less) shtick is copying the way Dunhill used to operate.

You couldn't just go to the pipes department and look at pipes. No. You had to park it in a chair, tell the salesman/butler/waiter what size/shape/finish you wanted, and he'd bring you out one.

Only.

They had an answer to every potential objection. (We don't consider graining a factor, sir . . .)

They always had the upper hand.

If you wanted something you liked, you had to know somebody there, behind the scenes.

:face:

Yak":55nkb03p said:
The hand delivery (on a silver platter no less) shtick is copying the way Dunhill used to operate.

You couldn't just go to the pipes department and look at pipes. No. You had to park it in a chair, tell the salesman/butler/waiter what size/shape/finish you wanted, and he'd bring you out one.

Only.

They had an answer to every potential objection. (We don't consider graining a factor, sir . . .)

They always had the upper hand.

If you wanted something you liked, you had to know somebody there, behind the scenes.

:face:
Interesting. First time I've experienced such a thing. Maybe my personal notion of "pipe culture" is a little different than other guys, I guess. I didn't mind the ordeal so much, but I forgot my AKC harlequin Great Dane, ascot, convertible roadster, black tie and cummerbund. :lol: I've mentioned before, I don't mind an excuse to dress up, but I still would have felt like I was in there to buy a car, not relax.

"I'm sophistitrash--too broke to care but enough sense and taste to know better."

I think I'm gonna go check out Tobacco Road as per PD's suggestion.

8)

Kyle Weiss":6xottp28 said:
"I'm sophistitrash--too broke to care but enough sense and taste to know better."
I have to go with that description. Yes.

In my wanderings around Sacramento, I have seen Tobacco Road, but wasn't sure about it. It warrants a look I think.

jacquesdubois":pjnhrj42 said:
Kyle Weiss":pjnhrj42 said:
I have to go with that description. Yes.

In my wanderings around Sacramento, I have seen Tobacco Road, but wasn't sure about it. It warrants a look I think.
Oh darn, another road trip before back-to-school? Good heavens, no! :lol: A travesty, sir. Plus we might be able to meet some other forum cronies. :twisted:

8)

Kyle Weiss":pdp461s2 said:
Plus we might be able to meet some other forum cronies. :twisted:

8)
That would be interesting. Just mostly lurking and reading here has made me quite interested in the folk here. Admitably, I mostly lurk and read and put in a good word when I need to, after all, there's so much to learn and know about all this!

This is the source of all my (maddening) knowledge so far, and I barely feel up to padawan rank, yet. :|

Most of these guys are our kind of scum. 8)

Kyle Weiss":16vhelsf said:
I wish I could take credit for that phrase, but I stole it from Star Wars. I always liked that line.

jacquesdubois":a67nazh1 said:
Kyle Weiss":a67nazh1 said:
I wish I could take credit for that phrase, but I stole it from Star Wars. I always liked that line.
Who wouldn't like it? :cheers:

Sacramento pipe collectors assembly meets the third thursday of the month at 6 PM and the last sunday of the month at 1 pm.

http://stores.ebay.com/SECOND-HAND-SMOKES-Estate-Pipes/Sacramento-Pipe-Collectors-Assembly.html

I haven't been in a couple of months because of work and family But I hope to go to the sunday meeting this month, I been slackin. It's really relaxed, just a bunch of guys hanging out chewin the fat. I really enjoy it.

Tobacco Road is no mecca, but like your Tinderbox hangout back in Reno, it's perfectly comfortable and feels right.

Puff Daddy":vj3lauqt said:
Sacramento pipe collectors assembly meets the third thursday of the month at 6 PM and the last sunday of the month at 1 pm.
Kyle or I, or both of us might end up there at some point in the near future. I look forward to meeting more of you all!

Maybe it should be pointed out that their technique works. You guys walked out with a couple of pipes and some tobacco.

Come to Birmingham and we will visit on the porch of an old farmhouse. If that is still too presumptuous for you, we will sit out by my pond and enjoy a bowl.

ch.jpg

J Soshae":60x81pld said:
Maybe it should be pointed out that their technique works. You guys walked out with a couple of pipes and some tobacco.
If they have the goods and things I (we) want at fair prices, was it the sales guy or the fact they had what we wanted? If it worked so well, why am I hesitant to return? :scratch: 70% of all sales are people that have already made up their minds before they walked in the door. Sales people are there to bulk up that 70% decision into profit and extras, and sway the other 30% if possible--and get them to return for more. That's sales 101. I was shown at least 50 pipes and walked out with only tobacco (my intended purchase). To be honest, if they we're cool, I probably would have bought that Pete 80S just on principle of supporting a B&M.

Not all creatures walk when put on a leash.

A sit on a Birmingham porch or by a pond is much more my style. Especially if there's ceiling fans on the porch, and it's screened in...ah! I miss the South. 8)

8)