I know I belong to a bygone world because…

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I know I belong to a bygone world because…

The US military jets look like UFO’s. Especially ones like the B2 bombers and the F117 & F35 fighters.

All the TV ads are for designer drugs I’ve never heard of for diseases I’ve never heard of.

Kids don’t play outside any more…it’s all electronics and indoors.

(Any others?)

I still go to my local libraries to get books to read and rent movie dvd's.

The books I take pictures of each page with my phone and read them when it gets slow at work. I smile when everone else is watching videos on their phone and I'm reading a book. I like to rent the dvd's because it reminds me of movie nights back when you went to blockbuster to get the VHS's.

I like hand tools over power tools most times, and even enjoy the extra time it takes. I also prefer wood to plastic or other substances. Music wise, I'd take most any stringed instrument type even without amplification over any modern music. I don’t care much about the social media apps like FB, X, etc. I never had a Twitter account. My goal is to live in peace, and those things don't seem to help me with that.

I find it depressing that every where i go all around me, people have their faces buried in their I-phones 'totally oblivious to the reality of their surroundings except when taking "selfies". I know that I'm old school because i still have a "land line" and don't sleep with my phone. Now I'm not knocking technology, but it seems to be human nature to latch on to new innovations and totally obsess over the ridiculous. thank god the contemplative nature of pipe smoking, to sit back and live in the moment, while society around us spins out of control. WOW, I've turned into a codger ! sorry about that lol :unsure:

I find it depressing that every where i go all around me, people have their faces buried in their I-phones 'totally oblivious to the reality of their surroundings except when taking "selfies". I know that I'm old school because i still have a "land line" and don't sleep with my phone. Now I'm not knocking technology, but it seems to be human nature to latch on to new innovations and totally obsess over the ridiculous. thank god the contemplative nature of pipe smoking, to sit back and live in the moment, while society around us spins out of control. WOW, I've turned into a codger ! sorry about that lol :unsure:
No need to apologize for that. Quite a few of us out there.

The Palm-Zombie Apocalypse is upon us! o_O

The Palm-Zombie Apocalypse is upon us! o_O

Camera operators at the World Series (or it might have been a pennant game) following a hugely important play scanned the fans just up behind third base and focused on a dozen babes in a couple of rows. They looked like quadruplets times three - each one had their nose stuck in their mobile phone, completely unaware of what was going on around them.

Image below is representative of the event via google…not the event itself.

IMG_7734.jpeg

Camera operators at the World Series (or it might have been a pennant game) following a hugely important play scanned the fans just up behind third base and focused on a dozen babes in a couple of rows. They looked like quadruplets times three - each one had their nose stuck in their mobile phone, completely unaware of what was going on around them.

View attachment 15594
Reminds me of a recent college football game where the parents of a quarterback that just made a good play were watching and you could see their pride and happiness in the real world sense of being there. A young woman was beside them and seemed like part of the family was just looking at her phone and really missed the real idea of being there. It occurred to me that she may have even been watching the same play...but on her phone, and that to people that focus on their phone all the time, that is their real world. That would be sad.

I remember when chocolate tasted like chocolate, the flavor wasn't masked by the abundance of salt, and didn't have the consistency of paraffin.

I still find hi-fi gear and sound to be the only way to listen to music. To piggyback, want the drums to sound like drums, not like they're playing on the bottom of 5g buckets.

I remember when things were built to last. *I've talked about this before, but just yesterday, an appliance repairman told me he fixes 2-3 year old refrigerators all day long, even the $12K models. forget inflation. Planned obsolescence is what is going to force people to keep working.

Prefer a steel-tubed bicycle frame.

When you could go to a concert, and the biggest nuisance was the 6'5" guy's head, not a sea of phones that corrupted my view.

gift cards didn't exist

and the loophole to the P&C gift card was buying hundreds of dollars on a gift card for yourself during one of their big 20-30% sales

Last edited: