I know I belong to a bygone world because…

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when chocolate tasted like chocolate, the flavor wasn't masked by the abundance of salt, and didn't have the consistency of paraffin.

I still find hi-fi gear and sound to be the only way to listen to music. To piggyback, want the drums to sound like drums, not like they're playing on the bottom of 5g buckets.

I remember when things were built to last. *I've talked about this before, but just yesterday, an appliance repairman told me he fixes 2-3 year old refrigerators all day long, even the $12K models. forget inflation. Planned obsolescence is what is going to force people to keep working.

Prefer a steel-tubed bicycle frame.

When you could go to a concert, and the biggest nuisance was the 6'5" guy's head, not a sea of phones that corrupted my view.

gift cards didn't exist

and the loophole to the P&C gift card was buying hundreds of dollars on a gift card for yourself during one of their big 20-30% sales
I'm right there with you, especially on the steel bicyle frames. All I have are lugged steel Bridgestones.

I loved the one where a gal is walking through the mall with her nose buried in her phone and falls face first into a wading pool. LOL
... or a door... or off a step ... or into a sand trap or water hazard on the golf course.

Cell phones provide abundant opportunities for slapstick comedy where I work. Where anyone works I'd imagine. :p:LOL: 😁

I'm right there with you, especially on the steel bicyle frames. All I have are lugged steel Bridgestones.
I raced bicycles for about 15 years, more than any frame material I find electrically assisted bicycles something of an absurdity. When I was young we called a powered bicycle a moped and we thought they were ridiculous then. :unsure:

I still appreciate a good steel frame, both my current bicycles are steel. I particularly love my Carlton track bike with its Brooks saddle and bar tape.

Last edited:
Makes you think that "soma" is "newspeak" for cellphone!
I join the conversation late to say: you are correct, sir!

Also, nice reference.

My reply may sound flippant. It is not. I was speaking with colleagues today about the profound narcissistic and solipsistic attitudes of college students in the past few years.

You are not alone in being concerned.

Best,
Book

Camera operators at the World Series (or it might have been a pennant game) following a hugely important play scanned the fans just up behind third base and focused on a dozen babes in a couple of rows. They looked like quadruplets times three - each one had their nose stuck in their mobile phone, completely unaware of what was going on around them.

View attachment 15594
Calling BS. Looks like you found what you wanted to see via google.

Calling BS. Looks like you found what you wanted to see via google.
Dave…Exactly. Can’t pull physical evidence out of just memory. It’s an example, not the same event.

Looks like I need to start labeling pics that are representative images, as opposed to THE actual event so members shouting BS at me. ❤️