I REALLY Love This Shape!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
There's something about the shank treatment that's so intriguing to me. I don't dig the smooth bowl with the blasted shank though. I'd rather the whole thing be blasted. I've contacted Bruce Weaver to see if can make me one like it. Knowing Bruce, I have a feeling that it'll be a real stunner.....

reminds me of a less extreme Roger Wallenstein pipe,,,

Hey Dock, I've had my eye on one of these for a while now as well. Hopefully I can find something similar in Chicago. I've been admiring the so- called acorn shape as carved by Senatarov or the ones carved by Yakolon. Florov does a nice one too.

My buddy Hank has a gorgeous Senatarov that he refuses to sell me!

Just a few short weeks until Chicago!

Lou

I always thought "wolfpaw" was becker's top grade, not a shape.

frankluke":52u9yk7z said:
I always thought "wolfpaw" was becker's top grade, not a shape.

Huh. That maybe Nick. Not really sure. I always thought that "wolf paw" was this shape. Marty Pulvers had a couple that were VERY similar with the same name. I'll freely admit to being a total novice when it comes to Becker's pipes. Hopefully someone will chime in that can tell us with certainty...

Got this from Pipedia:
Becker's grading runs in ascending sequence from 1 to 9. Absolute top pieces ranking above "9" are given letters ascending from A to G. He stamps his pipes on the lower surface of the sten with Wolfgang Becker in a circle, the respective degree placed in the center of this circle.

2 wasps from my collection the smooth is a 8 and the blast is a wolf's paw. I love his pipes but the prices have gone out of my price range since I got these years ago. :shock:
wolfga12.jpg

What I see in these are canted apples and horns stuck back to back - pipes that with the right milling could be smoked from either end. If a chamber were drilled in the shank, the shank cap were designed to hold the stem and be pushed into the top of either chamber, I think we'd have a first in the pipe world. Maybe its been done before?

Steve

daveinlax":zjd7cc0x said:
2 wasps from my collection the smooth is a 8 and the blast is a wolf's paw. I love his pipes but the prices have gone out of my price range since I got these years ago. :shock:
wolfga12.jpg
Those are gorgeous pipes! I'll be on the lookout in Chicago!

Lou

It is a shape that I fell in love with when I saw it 4-5 years ago in Chicago. He also makes it with a thinner shank that has a real nice look to it as well. Here is a pic of my wasp which smokes like a dream.

Really great looking shape and looks like it would feel great in-the-hand, but I find the excess weight on the shank usually makes it too heavy to clench. YMMV

PegLegEd":ulmgtyo1 said:
jhuggett":ulmgtyo1 said:
Apparently this one is going to be at the Chicago show this year...
Unknown-4.jpeg

http://twocousinspiperacks.blogspot.com/
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to cure PAD and TAD after exploring that link jhuggett posted I have both extremely seriously!!!
Ed
It's easy Ed. You just send all your money to me and that way you won't be able to succomb to temptation! :twisted:

Will Purdy carves a shape very similar to this and calls them "tadpoles."

In his blog "A Passion for Pipes" Neil Archer Roan waxes eloquent about Purdy's pipes, saying that they deliver a maximum of taste. Of course I want one but the price tags are too steep. . .

just had some Escudo in a MM Country Gentleman, about to have some 1792 in an MM Washington!