Ice Storm

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Haggerty

Reaction score
They're predicting a hell of a storm over the next two days: snow, then freezing rain, then snow in the Ohio Valley. That's a misery sandwich so I wisely cracked a new tin of tobacco, hit the State Store and stocked up on food. Now if it comes true, I'll be set. I'm hoping. :) Anyone else laid stock in?

Ah, you vether veeklings amuse me vith your vining. :lol: Minus 23F predicted here on Hoth tonight with significant wind. Meaning around 50 below windchill (using the newer, more conservative calculation). In short, another typical January day.

Good god man, I thought Maine was bad when I was a boy. Hoth sounds like just about the best description.

We are also getting set for a storm out here in Oklahoma. Being in the south (sortof, it's really more the south end of the plains, but whatever) serious snowfall equates to the national guard getting called.

We're looking at a couple inches of ice followed closely by a couple feet of snow. Schools have all been cancelled in anticipation, as well as the courthouse (yay on my end, I was dreading work even if school was out, luckily my judge "doesn't do winter").

Yeah, hit the state store (from Philadelphia originally, so yes, I still call it that even out here) and the grocery as well. Have my tins ready for the day tomorrow and a buddy of mine (fellow pipeman) coming with his stash selections as well for the day. Should be a good time, as long as the power stays on.

I, oddly enough, really look forward to weather like this. I guess it makes me feel like I'm home, or alternatively like I'm a kid again. The mere concept of a snow day makes me beam.

I'm sure I'll be bitching and moaning tomorrow when I'm cleaning the car off. Oh well.

Filled the tractor with diesel and don't plan on getting to work Wed when we get hit,,,,18-24 inches is no problem but the wind off the lake will cause drifting and white outs and the morons that can't drive in the winter weather will clog the roads,,then the SP will close them to unnecessary traffic,,,time to simmer a pot of chile and look for a stupid groundhog,,,,

The weather nuts are predicting 6"-8" of snow here in Oklahoma City so the schools are all closed and so are government offices. They've been announcing the closing of almost everything in the state since this morning.
I stopped at the grocery store this afternoon to pick up some Diet Coke to thin my Jack Daniel's with and found the danged place mobbed by all the sheep stocking up on food and water. It's gonna be back up to 50 degrees in four days!!!

That's not a typo either,.....6-8 inches,.....and get this; our new Governess has declared a "State of Emergency"! I thought a State of Emergency was for like when the Chinese where coming ashore on the west coast or Flying Saucers were landing in Wasthington D.C.

I am so embarassed.

There is just so much sensationalism surrounding the weather these days. "Gee, we might have our car snowed in for a day, let's clean out the supermarket, spend all night watching weather reports, and then telecommute for a day."

Here in the belt buckle of the bible belt everything shuts down if we get more than a couple of inches of snow. I grew up going to school on buses with snow chains. Here the world comes to a stand still over a few inches of the white stuff.

Of course, it was almost 70 this weekend but their predicting wintery mix this weekend.

If you gotta go to the store before a snow storm then you aren't really prepped for much. Fifty pounds of tobacco, at least 3 gallons of single malt and enough food for a month, I think I will get through a 2 day snow storm!

I don't mind snow. I hate ICE. Weighs down the trees and power lines. Most people can't drive in a good rain around here let alone 1/2 inch of ice with a bit of snow on top.
I've got enough tobacco to get through a week or so, candles, and dog food( people food too, but the dog food is more important.) My kids freak out when the power goes for a few minutes, heaven forbid it goes for a day or two. :shock:
I'm right on the line between snow/rain/ice so goodness only knows what I'll wake up to. Have a new bag of 5100 to test so I'll survive in style, or at least happier.

bigmick":ob5y0fh0 said:
I've got enough tobacco to get through a week or so...
:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

Snow has started here outside Chicago...If I didn't have a 60 mile commute I wouldn't mind it at all.

snow doesn't matter as I don't have to go anywhere.. but, the ICE will take out the electric and that sucks!

Yeah, gotta love Oklahoma. It's sleeting right now, like break your windows sleet, with thunder and lightning behind it.

This is the end.

:lol:

LL":aiglh9pm said:
bigmick":aiglh9pm said:
I've got enough tobacco to get through a week or so...
:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:
What can I say, I'm new and still finding the tobaccos I like before I stock up....

I hope everyone in the path of the massive storm has a wonderful snow day, excellent bowls of the weed and no power outages. Stay inside and enjoy a smoke. :D

LL":0efrty94 said:
Ah, you vether veeklings amuse me vith your vining. :lol: Minus 23F predicted here on Hoth tonight with significant wind. Meaning around 50 below windchill (using the newer, more conservative calculation). In short, another typical January day.
They nailed it:

NDDOT Bowman US 85 MP 12.2, Bowman, Dry (PWS)
Updated: 37 min 32 sec ago

-23 °F
Clear
Windchill: -48 °F
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: -27 °F
Wind: 14 mph from the NW

Wind Gust: 17.0 mph
Pressure: in
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Pollen: .10 out of 12
Pollen Forecast new!
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 2911 ft

LL you know its different.. Population and acclimation matters..

Indiana is mobilizing the National Guard.

Supposedly Chicagoland hasn't seen a storm of this magnitude since the 70's..

:-D All is lost, mankind defeated by Global Warming.

Ha! You need som ton-tons up there in Hoth. Just remember they smell worse on inside than they do on the outside!

:D