Ice Storm

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinH":hahqzioj said:
Here in the belt buckle of the bible belt everything shuts down if we get more than a couple of inches of snow. I grew up going to school on buses with snow chains. Here the world comes to a stand still over a few inches of the white stuff.

Of course, it was almost 70 this weekend but their predicting wintery mix this weekend.
Interesting term, buckle (i.e. heart) of the Bible Belt. I use it as an example in my cultural geography class, every place in the South (and isolated locations outside) claim to be it. In Arkansas they're convinced they're it, and somewhere near the Missouri Border begins the Satan Belt!!!

Natch

Tommy":6h2wbp8x said:
That's not a typo either,.....6-8 inches,.....and get this; our new Governess has declared a "State of Emergency"! I thought a State of Emergency was for like when the Chinese where coming ashore on the west coast or Flying Saucers were landing in Wasthington D.C.

I am so embarassed.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Meh.

MICHIGAN TEMPERATURES
> 70F - Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear. People
> in Michigan go swimming in the Lakes.
> 60F- North Carolinians start turning on the heat. People in Michigan
> plant gardens.
> 50F -Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Michigan sunbathe.
> 40F -Italian and English cars won't start. People in Michigan drive with
> the windows down.
> 30F - Distilled water freezes. Lake Superior's water gets thicker.
> 20F -Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
> People in Michigan throw on a flannel shirt.
> 15F Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Michigan
> have the last cookout before it gets cold.
> 0F - People in Miami begin freezing to death. Michiganders lick the
> flagpole.
> -20F - Californians evacuate to Mexico. People in Michigan get out their
> winter coats.
> -40F - Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Michigan are selling
> cookies door to door.
> -60F - Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic. Michigan Boy Scouts
> postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
> -80F - Mt. St. Helens freezes. People in Michigan rent some videos.
> -100F - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Michiganders get frustrated
> because they can't thaw the keg.
> -297F -Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products. Cows in
> Michigan com plain about farmers with cold hands.
> -459.69F - ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
> People in Michigan start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"
> -500F - Hell freezes over. The Lions win the Super Bowl!
>

I rolled out of Syracuse on the way to Clifton Springs (home of Park Lane Tobacconist) with 38,000lbs of wine and liquor in the trailer. It took me over 4 1/2 hours to drive it. I was bone dry empty on the way home and it took almost the same amount of time. I hate driving tractor trailer in snow and ice with nothing in the wagon. I almost got stuck on the on ramp to get back on I87. No traction whatsoever. :evil:

The big storm in heading right towards us, just another day in central NY.

ski_ne_600x405.jpg

We could have 22 inches of snow. But it's all going to be blown into 12' drifts. Wind will switch around and roar out of the NW later and move all the drifts around. Add to this, I have a sinus thing going on and I am pretty miserable. National Guard is out here trying to bring people in off Interstate 55 and keep others from going back out there.

Later all. Going to bed again.

Absolutely nothing here in Toronto. My students were asking about school closures today. Unlikely. The school board gets $$ from the government when the schools are open, not closed. Watching the satellite images, it looks like it may pass south of Lake Ontario. My fingers are crossed. I have winter tires but others are rolling around on no-season tires. I can stop & turn but can the car behind me?

You folks enjoy your snow day. Watch out for your back if you're shoveling.

I spoke too soon. For only the second time in my 21yr career, the school board closed the schools! The last time was during the big ice storms in 1999. I'll have to eat crow with my grade 10s!

The online newspaper had a report of "snow thunderstorms" just west of here. Supposedly 1-2 inches per hour along with thunder & lightning! Too cool!

Good thing I'll be at home.

Natch":5kn2f17e said:
MartinH":5kn2f17e said:
Here in the belt buckle of the bible belt everything shuts down if we get more than a couple of inches of snow. I grew up going to school on buses with snow chains. Here the world comes to a stand still over a few inches of the white stuff.

Of course, it was almost 70 this weekend but their predicting wintery mix this weekend.
Interesting term, buckle (i.e. heart) of the Bible Belt. I use it as an example in my cultural geography class, every place in the South (and isolated locations outside) claim to be it. In Arkansas they're convinced they're it, and somewhere near the Missouri Border begins the Satan Belt!!!

Natch
I might live in the bible belt buckle, as people down here call it, but I fight it every day! LOL :bounce:

sstodvictory":ql74yenh said:
Icy day in central Illinois. I put up this web page today.

Photos and vids.
http://www.stevesite.us/illinois_scenes/icy_day/

Steve

Nice pics. You are out on the tundra like we are. Todays pics will show a whole lot more snow though. Not sure when I will get out on the John Deere. No hurry with the wind still blowing.

Carlos said:
sstodvictory":ookjpbqu said:
Nice pics. You are out on the tundra like we are. Todays pics will show a whole lot more snow though. Not sure when I will get out on the John Deere. No hurry with the wind still blowing.
Yep. It doesn't have to snow very much on the plains. The wind does the rest. I am drift-bound and will be plowed out later today. Electrical utility power is still out, too, and my backup generator is running.

Steve

For the first time in forever, I feel compelled to talk about the weather. Before Tuesday morning, I never understood what the hell purpose earmuffs served. After waiting in two degree (with wind chill) weather on a bus that was thirty minutes late, I now understand the earmuff thing.

Just the previous week, the weather in Dallas was almost like you'd expect in May, feeling too warm. Sweating in damned January, now the city looks like World War II footage of the Russian front. You've probably heard what they say about the weather in Texas, and it's true.

Cathy took the pics. Not very dramatic. 4-5 foot drifts in places in town. A few feet a way, the grass was barely covered. Bet there are 12 foot drifts along the railroad tracks.

It was cold out. 16deg and the wind was still blowing. I had more sweaters and sweatshirts on than I thought possible.

blizza10.jpg

blizza11.jpg

I spoke with a buddy of mine last night who´s in NW Indiana. Says it´s just freezing up there. I, on the other hand, was in shorts this afternoon... ;)

Round Two here in Tulsa. It's been snowing solidly for about 5 hours, totally ridiculous considering we're still at a standstill from the last snow.

Looks like Monday will be off as well. Wild.