I'm getting into Burleys, any suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzman

Reaction score
For most of my pipe smoking life(1.5 years) I've been smoking English and Balkan blends, stuff like Westminster,Abingdon, Frog Morton. I have some VaPers that I occasionally smoke and enjoy as well.

I'm sure my palate has gotten more refined and I'm hoping to learn how to enjoy many of the different types of pipe tobacco.

Which brings me to Burleys. I few guys in my pipe club, and you know who you are, are big fans of Burleys. And I'm sure there are more Burley smokers on here so I'm asking for your suggestions.
As with all types of tobaccos, there are a thousand Burley blends, I'm not quite sure where to start.

I should also mention that I'm in the Boston area and I've heard that Peretti's make excellent burleys too.

Peace-Mike

Jazzman, JP's walmut is at the bottem of my Burley list!! :D
Peretti's Somerset flake expensive but worth it
All of Peretti's blends PCP,Cigar, their oldest blend. and others, get some samples
All of Uhle's Burley's blends, get samples, much cheaper than Peretti's. Burley Plug cut, Crushed white burley, #333 and others
Peterson's University Fl. Va/ Burley, that stuff Dock smokes cant remember :D hundreds of Burleys out there, FYI Walmut contains, Va.& Latakia Ken :tongue: :p
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :p

Best place to start is here.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/Burley_blends.html

C& D has a wide selection;
Old Joe Krantz is highly touted on various forums.
I personally like Pegasus
Three Burley tobaccos, two Virginias and a touch of unsweetened Black Cavendish make this a classic American blend.
&

pennington Gap
Pennington Gap: From the tip of Virginia, an all-American blend with a southern accent. Nutty Kentucky cube cut burley and rich black cavendish balance the unique aroma and flavor of Louisiana Perique, finished with bourbon for that touch of southern hospitality.
I have 1 & 1/2 pounds of this; 1 jar open the rest cellared.. if I did'nt have 30 different blends fighting for my time, this would be an every day smoke

their new burley series 1,2 & 3 is getting some good reviews.

BURLEY FLAKE #1: A blend of dark Burley and red Virginia with a just a splash of Perique.

BURLEY FLAKE #2: A blend of Dark and White Burleys with red Virginia for a touch of sweetness.

BURLEY FLAKE #3: A blend of quality Burleys with a bit of Virginia for natural sweetness and a dash of Perique for interest.

I'll second both the C&D and Peretti burleys. If you enjoy Latakia blends, C&D has a couple of great blends with burley and Latakia: Epiphany and Morley's Best.

Smokey

Haven't tried nearly as many burley blends as I'd like, but Solani's Aged Burley is a favorite.. University Flake is pretty good too (as has been mentioned, it's a VaBur), definitely worth it... I just recently tried C&D's Burley Flake #2, a nice strong burley with a definite cocoa'ish flavour to it, though it doesn't mask the baccy flavor, so an interesting one to try.

Aw heck, just buy a few oz's of everything you can find, and if ya don't like it after an oz, you can send it to me so your money doesn't go to waste :p

You might give GLP's Barbary Coast a try.

And, don't overlook some of the codger burleys...Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall are all good choices, and each has its own individual characteristics.

I just recently ordered some Old Joe Krantz. Having never tried it, I'm looking forward to firing up a bowl.

Mike

Thanks to all. I just placed a fairly good sized order with 4noggins and for Burleys i went with Bald Headed Teacher and Old Joe Krantz. I also plan on getting to Peretti's sometime soon.

I have some Solani ABF, Barbary Coast and some Wessex burley flake on hand from about 2 years ago.

I dried out some Barbary Coast and it wasn't that bad, I know others will disagree with that. I think part of the reason I haven't got into burleys sooner was because I'm not huge fan of working with flake tobacco and many of the burleys are flake.

Also, when I read reviews for burleys they're usually rated mild-medium in strength and I'm more of a medium-full guy. I'd love for someone to recommend a FULL tasting burley.

So the journey continues...thanks again everyone. Peace-Mike :cheers:

I would have said somerset again, but it is a flake - still - don't think it has an equal for fullness...

The BPC is pure pine forest

pipetongue1":10d8al15 said:
Jazzman, JP's walmut is at the bottem of my Burley list!! :D
Peretti's Somerset flake expensive but worth it
All of Peretti's blends PCP,Cigar, their oldest blend. and others, get some samples
All of Uhle's Burley's blends, get samples, much cheaper than Peretti's. Burley Plug cut, Crushed white burley, #333 and others
Peterson's University Fl. Va/ Burley, that stuff Dock smokes cant remember :D hundreds of Burleys out there, FYI Walmut contains, Va.& Latakia Ken :tongue: :p
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :p
HEY!!! I didn't start my response off with "Jazzman, Pipetongue1's Peretti's is at the bottom of my Burley list!!" I was minding my own business just making a requested suggestion to a brother!

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Ditto Justpipes! Walnut is at the top of the list! JP... I've got your back on this one!
P.S> Walnut being English contains everything you need in a fine Baccy Ken! :lol!:

I'll second the motion on Solani ABF and Wessex BS -- I love both. These are thick flakes but you don't need to fool with them much to prepare them. I just take one slice and fold it in half twice then twist it a little to loosen it up. It is not easy to light this way, but once it gets going it burns nice and slow.

C&D Exhausted Rooster is another one I like, but haven't had in a while.

Esoterica Stonehaven is worth a try, too. The burley/latakia combination is interesting. It is a flake, but very easy to handle because the slices are so thin.

Mon Ami jp, I didn't know I could offend anyone who would put malmut in their pipes Ken :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Some good one mentioned, my favorites are MacB Navy Flake, Esoterica Stonehaven, can't go wrong with either of those for a soft and dark burley, respectively (though with the latter that comes from the VA I'd imagine).

It's not true burley but I assume those who haven't mentioned GLP Cumberland are just trying to hoard it all for themselves! Fantastic stuff. :D

Old Joe Krantz
Ribbon and coarse cut burleys, perique and red virginia. Shades of brown with the characteristic mustiness of perique. That is what Tobacco Review say's.

If You ever need your tractor cranked this stuff will give you a very helping hand.
I don't know how to do a review on it so I'll just say it is very good very strong very well burning very delicious, I will continue to remember to keep in stock to smoke and I put 3- half pints and one quart jar in my small cellar. Gonna see how it ages. If it gets any better I might be able to I LOVE IT.
Ed