I'm in the mood for Scotch.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Any suggestions?
Nothing that will break the bank mind you, I am on a budget here.

McClelland has a pretty decent and inexpensive line of single malts out. Here in CT they cost about $27 / 750ml. There are four in the line (Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay). I've hand them all and found the Speyside to be my preferred blend. Plus for the price you really can't beat it.

Rugbysh9":xe65ej5p said:
McClelland has a pretty decent and inexpensive line of single malts out. Here in CT they cost about $27 / 750ml. There are four in the line (Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay). I've hand them all and found the Speyside to be my preferred blend. Plus for the price you really can't beat it.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

IMHO, Johnnie Walker Black Label, best scotch in the price range.

skaukatt":gnf44u5x said:
I'll drink to that!
But it'll have to be Red Label once I retire. :(
Unless Bruins can.....oh never mind, I shouldn't push my luck.

Falconer":ops4flwq said:
skaukatt":ops4flwq said:
I'll drink to that!
But it'll have to be Red Label once I retire. :(
Unless Bruins can.....oh never mind, I shouldn't push my luck.
That's just fine, Falconer, it's all good!

Cheers!

Lou

skaukatt" [u:709i6dfp said:
it's all good[/u]!

Cheers!

Lou

Funny, last time I was in the ABC store looking at Scotch there was a gentleman that walked up and reached for a bottle of Dewars, I asked "what's a good one". He said "They're all good" smiled and walked away.
I did pick up a bottle of McClelland Highland (the only one they offered), had a couple on the rocks last night, I must say Scotch is definately made for sipping. Quite enjoyable.

EJinVA":ewud5p5r said:
skaukatt" [u:ewud5p5r said:
it's all good[/u]!

Cheers!

Lou
Funny, last time I was in the ABC store looking at Scotch there was a gentleman that walked up and reached for a bottle of Dewars, I asked "what's a good one". He said "They're all good" smiled and walked away.
I did pick up a bottle of McClelland Highland (the only one they offered), had a couple on the rocks last night, I must say Scotch is definately made for sipping. Quite enjoyable.

I am in no way any expert but like tobaccos and wine, you will find that scotch will also vary in taste depending on numerous variables. Some lean towards honey, peat, some towards a smokey flavor some light some dark, singre malt, blended, everything under the sun depending upon where and how it is made.

I hit upon JWB Label and loved the flavor so as you experiment in much the same you we do with pipe tobacco, you will find a scotch or a number of them that you like better than others. Then the only thing that remains is how much we are willing to spend!

BTW, I don't care for Dewars, myself, to me it tastes like grain (unrefined) (yes I know it is distilled from grain but it does not appeal to me).

Lou

EJinVA":8a8ie2wt said:
Any suggestions?
Nothing that will break the bank mind you, I am on a budget here.
Not being a fan of scotch, my suggestion would be to stick with the KY or TN distillates. :lol:

About 10 years ago I sampled about all the different mini-bottles of scotch I could find. The only mini-bottle I kept was "The Dalmore, 12 yo". I don't now the price of a full bottle, but if I ever get in the mood again for scotch, that's the one.

Jim

I drink Dewar's 'cause that's what Grandma drank. And I drink it on the rocks, or in a Rusty Nail, like a savage! They're going to come reclaim my kilt if this gets out.

But I heartily agree, JWB is around the best for the money.

Rugbysh9":s0ew8i63 said:
I'll second the McClelland. My favorite is the Fine Oak 12yr, but they also have an 8 and 10 which are more reasonably priced.

Balvenie Double Wood. A very, very nice single malt under the $40 mark. It's $37 in my neck of the woods.

I really like Famous Grouse Blended Scotch. It is my everyday drink--on the rocks with a splash of club soda. I also like single malts from all of the different regions. One of my favorite single malts considering everything including price is Aberlour. Also, for those who enjoy good single malt scotch I highly recommend Red Breast or Middleton Irish Whiskey--pricey but oh so good with a bowl.

I was never a scotch drinker, but I did come across one that I found enjoyable. laphroaig it is an Islay single malt and is very different from the other scotches on the market. Perhaps that is why I like it.

I'm more of a rum guy.. Pyrat and Zaya :D

Stogiegila":mj0prxud said:
I was never a scotch drinker, but I did come across one that I found enjoyable. laphroaig it is an Islay single malt and is very different from the other scotches on the market. Perhaps that is why I like it.

I'm more of a rum guy.. Pyrat and Zaya :D
One of my favorites as well.

Lou

One that I had recently which I thought was amazing was the Highland Park 12 Year. Very balanced, very smooth, very delicious.

Zeno Marx":yw1cj3s2 said:
Balvenie Double Wood. A very, very nice single malt under the $40 mark. It's $37 in my neck of the woods.
Excellent choice - one of my regulars. Might also try The Macallan ( a very smooth sherry-casked single malt, almost like cognac) or for a very smoky, peaty drink Laphroig, although pricey.

Good blended is any JW or Dewar's 12 yo reserve. Reasonably priced and very smooth.

Jack Straw":4vx39dvn said:
One that I had recently which I thought was amazing was the Highland Park 12 Year. Very balanced, very smooth, very delicious.
I agree with you on this one whole-heartedly, went to scotland got the dime tour, paid attention to what the locals were drinking and fairly often it was highland park 12 yr. smoooooth. :drunken:

Last night a few of my brother Masons got together for conversation and libations. Good cigars, good pipe tobacco and good whiskey. We started off with Jameson but then moved on to Glenmorangie single malt scotch. Anyone ever tried it? I was really impressed and I'm not a scotch drinker, well... I wasn't a scotch drinker, I might be now...