I'm not insulting DDNR.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
Normally when you say that the best thing about a blend is the tin note it's an insult. But the best thing about Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls to me is the tin note..... followed directly on its heels by everything else about. What an alluring fragrance there is inside that tin at opening. Wow.
I smoked my first bit of DDNR and it was fantastic. I love me some Vaper but actually lean a bit away from the classic profile and tend towards the mixtures with another ingredient or more in it. So understand my opinion is from a guy inclined to smoke a tin of Haddo's before the classic profile blends. I do like them on occasion and have now smoked most of the coin style VaPers. My favorite had been the Davidoff product but that contains the Cavendish core. DDNR has moved right up to the top of that list for me. It is now certainly my #1 VaPer coin without extra condimental leaf. My trio of coins would now likely be DDNR for classic VaPer, Davidoff for the Cavendish core version, and Doblone D'Oro for Dark Fired. These are not budget tins and are change of pace blends for me. Summation, DDNR is really good stuff.

I just ordered some DDNR. Interested to see how it compares to Escudo. Honestly, I'm hoping I don't like it as much as Escudo... $$$

The DDNR I had is fresh. The Escudo I had last was an aged tin from Pipestud.com and was 1 or two production changes old at this point so I probably ought to get a new sample of Escudo to eliminate variables but short of that I did prefer DDNR. I think. As a change of pace type blend I don't smoke enough of it often enough or side by side to have a real critical comparison. I'm going with DDNR but that may not have much bearing on regular smokers of the two. Let us know what you think of it.

Good call, I definitely should have gone long form at least once in there.

DUNHILL DE LUXE NAVY ROLLS

Initial post edited to include it written out for ease of anyone joining the thread. So don't nobody pick on Richard for not seeing it, it wasn't there a minute ago. :evil:

Back when I smoked more of duhill blends back in the '70s I tried it along with the Gallaher produced Escudo but neither was in my wheelhouse as FOR ME, they had too much Perique in them. ( Perique , as well as Burley, and I don't get along well ) I've not tried either since STG/Orlik now produces them. But with the change of producers I might give 'em a try !! :twisted: :twisted:

Does anyone know the reason for the price hike on the DDNR? I would have bought a tin of this much sooner but it costs a fortune! Maybe Ron has insight on that... I mean it's $4-$6 more expensive than other Dunhill blends and it's close cousin, Escudo, which many ppl would argue is better...

Old Nate":2c62x4pk said:
Does anyone know the reason for the price hike on the DDNR? I would have bought a tin of this much sooner but it costs a fortune! Maybe Ron has insight on that... I mean it's $4-$6 more expensive than other Dunhill blends and it's close cousin, Escudo, which many ppl would argue is better...
Your asking for a REASON about a price hike ?? If they can get MORE for it why not !! Who knows what goes on in the greedy minds of the bean counters !! :twisted: :twisted:

Navy Rolls has always been more expensive than the other Dunhill blends. I'm sure some of it has to do with the greater production expense. I like it better than Escudo. Less grassy.

As an avid lover of Long Golden FLake, I'll steer clear. The last thing I need is another expensive Vaper. :p

I think it's a terrific blend, but I usually go with the Escudo just to save the $5. Some people swear up and down that it's different, but I can't really tell for sure. I think you'd find as much variance between two different tins of Escudo in a blind taste test. Prolly between DDNR, too, for that matter.

FWIW

DDNR seems a little more full bodied/richer in all respects compared to Escudo. And the Perique factor not as pronounced. Yet it's not what I would call a full-bodied mouthful as compared to some others.

This is neither a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. Just how I taste it.

Escudo seems more light bodied (but not thin), with more emphasis on the Perique. Also has a bit more nic-kick. Perhaps a bit less complex, but nevertheless a very satisfying bowl.

I like them both for different reasons. No reason not to stock both.

Cheers,

RR

Guyrox":ewijkw05 said:
Juan how did you think it compares to Escudo's?

It's been awhile but the Escudo I had was aged from a manufacturer or two ago and it was visibly darker as I recall. Perhaps the age. It may be that I prefer this style with the Virginia more fresh. In all fairness I should probably give it another go as the comparison is far from scientific but based on my memory of it I was just struck a bit more by the DDNR. Again, I smoke a lot more C&d burley blends than this type so my opinion is exceptionally idiosyncratic. Brewdude's input is far more informed.

To Monbla: I thought the presence of perique was obvious at opening. If you're perique sensitive frankly idk that it will suit you. It might but I make no guarantee.

Drumsandbeer: Never tried the Long Golden Flake. When I think golden flake with Perique perhaps the closest I've tried is Solani 633(?) are they similar?

@juanmedusa: Yea, it's much harder to make a "fair" comparison between a "fresh" and an aged tobacco, especially after smoking the aged tobacco before the fresh. All of my (very few) tins of Escudo have a few years of age. When I tried Navy Rolls upon receiving the order, I could not not compare it despite my efforts not to.
Of course, I had found it much less rich in flavours and taste than Escudo. So I can't consider my first impressions as fair to Navy Rolls. As I have some in the cellar, I'm curious to see my impressions of it after a few years of aging. My feeling is I will appreciate it as much as Escudo.

All this talk of DDNR and Escudo I had to pop a tin of the latter last night and WOW that Escudo never disappoints! I'll be interested to see how it compares to the DDNR when my order comes in!

I continue to enjoy the DDNR. Just had a bowlful in my meerschaum. Full disclosure, I noticed this tin is dated 8/2013.

This may help with the cost. From smokingpipes.com,

Well, today, it's never been easier to experience this tobacco revival for yourself, as from now until the end of October, you'll receive 20% off when you buy five or more tins of Dunhill tinned tobacco.

Enjoy, Brothers.