Imperial Stout

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I love good beer. My favorite or my go-to is Imperial Stout. I drink it fall, winter, spring, summer doesn't matter when. Currently I'm sippin on an Oskar Blues Ten fidy. Favorites in my fridge right now:

Stone Russian imperial stout
Founders Imperial Stout (I also like their Breakfast Stout)
Alesmith Speedway Stout
Great Divide Yeti and Oak Aged Yeti

Out of all of these if I had to pick one I think I'd go w the Stone. It has that deep roast flavor w anise, prune, chocolate flavors playing in the background w just the right amount of heat. What a beer!

Anyone else?

You really can't go wrong with any of the beers from the top breweries in the San Diego area. Stone's Imperial Stout is very good. Green Flash's barrel aged Silva Stout was fantastic. I say was because I believe it was a 2015 limited edition. Might still be some on the shelves though. Also check out Port Brewing's Santa's Little Helper.

Not San Diego, I also love North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. If you can make it to Fort Bragg they serve a delicious nitrogenized version.  Sierra Nevada's barrel aged Narwhal is tremendous.

Sadly beer is a long ago past time for me, I do love a good stout, either Imperial, Milk, or just about any other! My current favorite. which I have only had 1 bottle this year, is Southern Tier's Cream Brulee Stout. It is a sweeter stout, in the style of a milk stout. Very yummy! At my peak I drank 15 to 22, 22oz bottles of beer a week. This year I have had a total of 5 bottles.

DrumsAndBeer":ipgfgqnj said:
You really can't go wrong with any of the beers from the top breweries in the San Diego area. Stone's Imperial Stout is very good. Green Flash's barrel aged Silva Stout was fantastic. I say was because I believe it was a 2015 limited edition. Might still be some on the shelves though. Also check out Port Brewing's Santa's Little Helper.

Not San Diego, I also love North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. If you can make it to Fort Bragg they serve a delicious nitrogenized version.  Sierra Nevada's barrel aged Narwhal is tremendous.
Yes! Narwhal is very good. I haven't had the barrel aged version though. Old Raspy was one of my first really big beers. Still enjoy it. That nitro version sounds amazing!

Out my way there is a nitro milk stout made by Voodoo Brewing called cowbell stout creamy, chocolatey, delicious and amped up to about 9%.

John, that's another good one! Southern tier makes some great "big" beers! My favorite from them is prob Choklat. Good stuff! I really want to get back to home brewing.

oldmansmokingpipe":dzj6bkap said:
try Samuel smith
's imperial stout! or their taddy porter...
I like the Taddy Porter. Haven't had it in years, though.

There was a time when almost every beer I drank was a bold one - Imperial Stouts, a number of Porters, and some pretty potent IPAs.

Over the last year or two, my taste for beer has evolved and I've come to appreciate a drink that isn't quite so bold....these days, nothing beats a good wheat beer (I say with the requisite humility).

idbowman":9iybko7q said:
There was a time when almost every beer I drank was a bold one - Imperial Stouts, a number of Porters, and some pretty potent IPAs.

Over the last year or two, my taste for beer has evolved and I've come to appreciate a drink that isn't quite so bold....these days, nothing beats a good wheat beer (I say with the requisite humility).
You're right about that. I've been putting down some session IPA's and pilsners lately as well. I especially like Lagunitas Pilsner and Victory Prima Pils... nice, crisp refreshing beers after work or on a Saturday afternoon.

I like Australia's take on stout. Sheaf is a favorite. Cooper's is also tasty.

Zeno Marx":9lh3zech said:
I like Australia's take on stout.  Sheaf is a favorite.  Cooper's is also tasty.
Sheaf is one of my favorites.

Old Nate":9escahqc said:
Brewdude":9escahqc said:
Several years ago, my brewery released a Russain Imperial Stout in our special release program. It was called Louis XIV, and had an ABV of 8.6%.

https://untappd.com/b/snoqualmie-falls-brewing-company-louis-quatorze-14th-anniversary-imperial-stout/109768

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/snoqualmie-falls-louis-quatorze-14th-anniversary/163460/

Cheers,

RR
Rande, is the Louis 14th Anniversary still available?
No, that was 4 years ago.

Cheers,

RR

I remember a number of campfires made more cheerful per the addition of Imperial Ale. Loved the way the flavor shifted as the brew grew warmer...and at 10% alcohol I grew warmer right along with it!

But Summer is upon us almost. And from July through August I turn to the lighter beer & ales...lager and pilsner. No Wheat for me thanx. Sometimes when it's boiling outside you just need a beer you can gulp right down instead of sip-n-savor. Maybe that's anathema to serious suds savants. But considering that I grew up on Olympia, Rainier & Blitz, I'm lovin' the good life with a cold crisp Coors long neck on a hot August afternoon.

Other than that there are brew pubs an every corner in Portland it seems...right across from every Starbucks. They all have their versions of this-n-that IPA or Copper Ale or the Bad Boy Batch O'the Week. It's all good!

Everyone has their favorites. Victor Borge was once asked why he didn't like pancakes. He said, "The only thing about pancakes is that they're not waffles." Whatever.

DrumsAndBeer":uqhhdbzf said:

+1 for me on those two. Both are amazing imperial stouts, and you can't beat them. Narwhal will set you back on your heels a bit though, if you're not expecting it - it's a deceptively strong beer, alcohol-wise.

I'm sipping on a Rogue Chocolate Stout at the moment. I don't usually like the effect of adding flavors (coffee, chocolate, etc) to beer but this one works. The first sip or two is "Whoa, chocolate added. Not so sure 'm gonna like this...." But then it settles nicely into a good rich flavor. There's a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout ready for tomorrow.

When I was in Washington state earlier this summer for my daughters wedding we all ate at Silver City in Silverdale, Wa. There is a Silver City Brewery and a Silver City pub, separate facillities. The pub has great food and, of course, plenty of Silver City beer. Had The Best beer I've ever had in my life that night, their Fat Scotch Ale, which to my uneducated palate fell squarely into the flavor arena of a Stout. If you're ever in the area.... (Unobtanium in California :(  )

Puff Daddy":1azhoefw said:
I'm sipping on a Rogue Chocolate Stout at the moment. I don't usually like the effect of adding flavors (coffee, chocolate, etc) to beer but this one works. The first sip or two is "Whoa, chocolate added. Not so sure 'm gonna like this...." But then it settles nicely into a good rich flavor. There's a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout ready for tomorrow.

When I was in Washington state earlier this summer for my daughters wedding we all ate at Silver City in Silverdale, Wa. There is a Silver City Brewery and a Silver City pub, separate facillities. The pub has great food and, of course, plenty of Silver City beer. Had The Best beer I've ever had in my life that night, their Fat Scotch Ale, which to my uneducated palate fell squarely into the flavor arena of a Stout. If you're ever in the area.... (Unobtanium in California :(  )
Well then, you've experienced the delights of a very talented brewer - Don Spencer, who came up through me at Thomas Kemper in the mid 90's at Poulsbo.

Don was destined for greater things, and I really can't hold any credit except for perhaps introducing him to the world of brewing on a professional scale. And all the equipment that goes with it.

Don was already brewing at home when he came to us, with a very professional steam fired 3-bbl system and had his ducks in a row, so to speak. His beers were fine and I and others enjoyed them on many occasions. Most notably one of his X-mas celebrations at his digs back around '94 or so when many cigars were also smoked!

Don went on to become the Brewmaster at Silver City in Silverdale, a fledgling brewpub next to the Silverdale mall around '95, the year we closed down the Poulsbo brewery. I say "we" but I had no hand in that. It was a corporate decision and I wasn't consulted.

By then, Thomas Kemper had been acquired by Pyramid back in Sept '92, so I danced to that tune. And at the time I was Plant Mgr/Brewmaster the new Pyramid facility in Seattle, directly across from what would eventually be the home of the Mariners. And eventually the Seahawks, kitty corner. But back to Don Spencer-

Many was the time I visited the original Silver City location. Saw it being built. And the ambience, food, and especially the beers were without equal. Don certainly knew what he was all about.

In fact we at Pyramid use to joke that the decor was "Pyramid West" since it was designed by the same folks that designed Pyramid on 1st Ave South and Royal Brougham. Very similar!

Similarities notwithstanding, the Silvedale location went on to achieve great accolades, and well deserved. Don's skill as a brewer were much in evidence, and he went on to win awards for his beers in competitions.

Sadly the Silverdale brewpub is no more , but the brand lives on still under Don's guidance in the production facility in Bremerton, a few miles away. To say that Don has made a name for himself in WA brewing history is an understatement. And I can't lay any claim to hos success. He was destined for it!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Relaxing with a Narwhal at the moment. Very good, very rich. I'm getting a lot of black coffee from this one.