In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lighting accuracy will fix that. A lot of people "press" a flame onto the pipe when they first light it, I notice...the flame then goes to the path of least resistance, which it seems, is around the edges between the tobacco and edge of the pipe bowl--resulting in darkened/charred rims. I tend to hover the flame above the pipe maybe by half an inch or so, and let the action of the draw/puff bring the flame to the tobacco. It is also a good indicator if your pipe is packed too tight. Then there's a lot more heat and flame hovering around where it ought not to be. That heat has to go somewhere and...presto--hot pipe.

8)

That will happen if you pack them so high that lighting the tobacco lets it crown up and scorch the tops.

But why do that ?

:face: 

Pick out pipes that look like you'd like to show them off and that you think you enjoy hanging off your face.  

Select several and then look at the description.  Click on the pictures and look at their grain.  

Frankly, I saw several in the lower range I wouldn't mind owning.  

If you are unsure still, bring the links back here and ask for an opinion.  Best choices are those without flaw or toothmarks. But, if you really like one, a small flaw is OK.

Typically, you want to smoke a pipe not more than once a day.  Not quite as true for a Meerchaum.  So, more on the inexpensive side is good but those Savs are choice in the medium price range.

A lot of the ones up right now are from a guy that worked in a pipe shop. That's a plus.

vmen84":8anyeg5m said:
which do you feel would be the best one for a new comer?
I just LOVE Savinelli pipes!!!! I've got about 16 of them so far and ALL of them are EXCELLENT smokers. So asking me, won't be fair!!!!

Difficult for me to say which pipes you should buy. I like medium size pipes, bents are my favourites and I adore bulldogs (I have 11 so far and will make it a dozen shortly)

Go through Nathan's catalogue and pick two nice pipes for yourself. You can easily buy two QUALITY pipes for US $150.00 from there. Need not be Sav's at all.

I'm not related to Nathan, neither does he pay me to advertise for him. I've dealt with him 6 times already and I can highly recommend him to all my brothers. And what's more, because you are a member of BoB, he will allow you a 10% discount on everything you buy from him. That normally pays for my shipping.

I'll have ta do that soon for now Im about to go smoke some chicken on my uds smoker.

Old Charatans and GBDs, ie, from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s will give you a better smoke than a new pipe of the same price. Just my 2¢.

Smoker99":5oj99pl4 said:
Old Charatans and GBDs, ie, from the 50s, 60s, and early 70s will give you a better smoke than a new pipe of the same price. Just my 2¢.
I've been trying to get hold of an old Charatan for years already. But up till now I could not find one I could afford.

GBD's I've got and I love them. I have one old reject which I bought new 18 years ago. It's one of my top ten favourites!!! I can't believe that even a Dunhill will provide a better smoke than this old gentleman!

Smoker99":xjezj361 said:
That is my philosophy as well. A good brand, as above, well prepared and cleaned estate is a great smoking pipe. GBD's are available in the $50 -$100 range and I prefer those over any new, lower priced pipe. I learned that my stem preference is vulcanite. Most new, lower priced pipes are made with acrylic stems.

What ever direction you decide works for you, I recommend that you don't spend a lot of money early in your smoking experience. My tastes changed dramatically in the first year of smoking a pipe and I ended up selling almost all of the pipes bought in that first year.

Here is one nice Charatan example, $74 delivered. And another Charatan sold for $51 a few days ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DARK-BLAST-LANE-ERA-CHARATANS-89DC-NICE-BENT-PIPE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/200946679258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec95afdda&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$(KGrHqJ,!oQFHdsH2!NNBR8cmK1ME!~~60_57.JPG

This one would need cleaned, but well worth that minimal effort, in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-CHARATAN-S-MAKE-LONDON-ENGLAND-BELVEDERE-2109-D-C-WOOD-SMOKING-PIPE-/370862368634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56591ea77a&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$T2eC16dHJGYFFlFO48cgBR8gIHMjTQ~~60_57.JPG

Puff Daddy":67i57yu1 said:
My reasoning for listing those two specific pipes:

Both have acrylic stems, no vulcanite to go green and give off a bad taste.

Both are bent but not extreme and would be comfortable/appealing to most pipe smokers. A bent billiard and bent pot, both classic shapes.

Both have a good bit of wood surrounding the chamber, no thin walls.

One rusticated and one smooth.

Buying both pipes, new, change back from your $150, will last a lifetime with care.
I wish I had this advice on my first pipes. The first pipe I bought was quality but I sold it quickly on eBay cuz it was straight, too heavy, too large a chamber. It had a vulcanite stem that started oxidizing and I didn't know what to do. If I had that pipe today I'd treasure it, but I bailed on it then.

I would recommend grabbing a great pipe for 125.00 than 2 good pipes for 150.00. For example this Ascorti/Radice era Caminetto will be a great smoking pipe and you will have 25.00 left over for tobacco. http://briarblues.com/hen08.htm

These older pipes from Caminetto are some of the best bang for the buck pipes on the market today. They smoke cool and dry and are just great smoking pipes.

Enjoy your Quest. IMHO you can never go wrong with a Savinelli or Pete and another you might want to check out is T.Polinski. House of pipes on EBay list a wide variety of his pipes and they usually sell for around $50 - $125 bucks delivered. They are some of the best smokers in my collection at very resonable prices.