In praise of Peterson Pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't a Peterson, but I've got my eye on one.
I like your bulldog, it looks like a good companion.

I have Petersons in my collection and they do have an old world charm. Also, a unique stem, chamber system and smoke very well.

I second your comments! I love Petersons, particularly the XL305 and XL315 shapes.

The only thing I wished is that, since the stems are so uniquely fitted to each briar, and since they are vulcanite and can be easily abused, there were more opportunities to have NEW stems (including P-lips) refitted on perfectly good Peterson briar.

I agree whole-heartedly with your post. I love the Petersons I have and I hope to obtain more.

Gentlemen:

This is my input on the subject.

My humble Peterson collection

"Thre's a story behind every bowl"

I love Pete's as well, and have probably 10 os so (mostly purchased approx. 20 - 35 years ago). My favorite is a full bent system "House Pipe"---massive, multi-hour smoke! One observation, though: In recent years the number of fills in the smooth pipes seems to have increased, especially in the lower grades. A model that would never had had a fill in years ago now seems to consistently have fills, based upon my perusal in shops. The higher grade pipes are still top-notch.

I have over 30 Petersons & collect the POY's. They're great pipes. And a fine way to start pipe smoking (as I did). I believe every pipe smoker should have a Pete 303 system with a P-lip. It's the archetypical Peterson.

I have a Peterson Sherlock Holmes, that I purchased from a brother here, that has never let me down.

NeroWolfe":dusnk8js said:
I love Pete's as well, and have probably 10 os so (mostly purchased approx. 20 - 35 years ago). My favorite is a full bent system "House Pipe"---massive, multi-hour smoke! One observation, though: In recent years the number of fills in the smooth pipes seems to have increased, especially in the lower grades. A model that would never had had a fill in years ago now seems to consistently have fills, based upon my perusal in shops. The higher grade pipes are still top-notch.

I did read somewhere that there was a problem with the number of fills in their smooth pipes and that Peterson was addressing the issue. What I read (it was online, but I can't remember what website) was written a few years ago. I don't know whether they did anything about it. I'm going to be in Dublin next week for about five days. I'll be going to the Grafton Street shop and if I can squeeze it in, the factory in Sallynoggin. I should ask them about it.

nosenhoj":j712omlc said:
Gentlemen:

You have a fantastic Peterson collection, my friend.

nosenhoj --

That is indeed a great collection!

It really makes me feel better about my penchant for buying Petersons. Sometimes I think I need to become involved with a local PPA chapter (Peterson Pipes Anonymous)! :D

nosenhoj":765w1re8 said:
Gentlemen:

"Thre's a story behind every bowl"

My Peterson's; somewhat more humble and ill-used, but no less loved:

-2.jpg

You have a beautiful collection, notwithstanding the later additional photo. I'm envious.

Idlefellow":t0dnmpta said:
My Peterson's; somewhat more humble and ill-used, but no less loved:
Cool! A very impressive collection of Pete's.

If you want to clean up those bits, there's a wonderful product I discovered a few months ago. It's a deoxidizer that really works. I used it on my vulcanite bites and it does what it advertises. It makes the bits look absolutely new. Here's the website: http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/stem_restore_kit.html then click on Stem Restore kit. It's an amazing product and pretty inexpensive.

Idlefellow;

I enjoy the photos of your pipes each time i see them.To quote one of the
brothers when he saw my photos," there's nothing humble about that collection"
You have a collection to be proud of.

"There's a story behind every bowl"

Most excellent, my friend.
How old is your oldest Pete?
Thanx for the photos.

Bill