In Praise Of The Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewest

Reaction score
I was smoking my old trusty Country Gentlemen cob last night, when it dawned on me what kind of workhorse this pipe really is. I smoke it all the time, it gets a little of everything pushed thru it, and it doesn't get the attention and cleaning near as much as the briars do. Yet, time after time, it smokes great and never lets me down. Anyone else ever feel like they could just have a handful of quality cobs and be just as happy?

As I mentioned when I joined, I was away from the pipe for over 12 years. These days, I do like how VAs, VaPers, and my trusty CarterHall smoke in my Country Gentleman, but I do need to learn to be gentler in getting the dottles out! (I've ruined more cobs that way. . . .) I don't care for Latakia blends in cobs so much, never mind anything flavored (although I've gotten away from aros this time around). I am one of those who has always believed in having at least one cob in use.

I recently was gifted my first cob and was really surprised how well they actually smoke. No fuss and and a very decent smoking pipe. I'll never look down on them with my "briar superiority complex" again! In fact I will have my first smoke of today in that very cob. :cheers: :cheers:

*shrug* I'm in Nevada. Snobbery is always secondary to pride, and I'd be proud to smoke a cob! I'd need some instruction to take care of it properly... I've never owned/smoked one.

...anyone ever make one? That'd be fun.

Kyle Weiss":fgoq870t said:
*shrug* I'm in Nevada. Snobbery is always secondary to pride, and I'd be proud to smoke a cob! I'd need some instruction to take care of it properly... I've never owned/smoked one.

...anyone ever make one? That'd be fun.
I was just looking at my beautiful red natural MM Freehand and thinking the same thing. I wonder if you can just get a piece of corn. Cook. Enjoy. Dry.Carve. and continue to enjoy.

It would be neat to try.

ewest":fy7dwybl said:
I was smoking my old trusty Country Gentlemen cob last night, when it dawned on me what kind of workhorse this pipe really is. I smoke it all the time, it gets a little of everything pushed thru it, and it doesn't get the attention and cleaning near as much as the briars do. Yet, time after time, it smokes great and never lets me down. Anyone else ever feel like they could just have a handful of quality cobs and be just as happy?
21 of my 24 pipe rotation are corncobs. I'm always surprised about how surprised people are when they discover cobs are quality pipes, and a bit more surprised at how many pipe smokers won't even/ever consider a cob. For those wanting more information, check out the two links below.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12900-mm-buyers-guide-5-31

MisterE":wjc2xm08 said:
I recently was gifted my first cob and was really surprised how well they actually smoke. No fuss and and a very decent smoking pipe. I'll never look down on them with my "briar superiority complex" again! In fact I will have my first smoke of today in that very cob. :cheers: :cheers:
Same here. I smoked my first cob (a MacArthur) today compliments of Blackhorse and I must say, it exceeded my expectations. Now, I'm not ready to throw out my Castellos and Vipratis quite yet, but it was a good smoke!

ewest":gas0nlq1 said:
Well, thanks to John, on average I use my cobs 3-4 times each week versus my two favorite pipes (GBD Prehistoric and Rattray's Volcano) 2-3 times per month. I was gifted a Legend and then immediately turned around and bought a bent Great Dane Egg, Spool and Patriot. I'd love one of the natural red MM Freehands but can't seem to find them anywhere. My Mars Cigar basket currently has a Diplomat and Country Gentleman waiting for my final decision on tobaccos.

Hi, I'm Wayde and I'm a Cob Snob.

Hi Wade.
I just packed a cheap basket briar and only smoked 1/4 bowl. I dumped it and went down to my work truck and loaded up the cob. Now I'm sitting outside my motel room in complete enjoyment. Instead of dreading the next sip I have already planned out tomorrow.

Funny I never really clean my cob either, I use the 9mm filter with my cob...all I really do is change that after every other smoke.

I've got a drawer in my studio that is 'devoted' to cobbs. I keep about a dozen in there...all sizes and shapes. I use the biggest ones (in my case the Freehands) to smoke Stonehaven and Storm Front (and that's a marriage that was made in heaven) and the midsized ones to smoke most anything else that's not TOO potent (stuff with Dark Fired Kentucky in it does really well in these...like JackKinife Plug...as well as VAPers and VA's, and the small little bitty ones to smoke the evil Brit twists and ropes, Irish Flake, etc. I've got a few other large ones...General's is what they're called I think. They are primarily used by me for VA's that have really good DGT characteristics. I keep the briars in the house, on the rack, and break one out often for a good smoke. But I smoke those cobs day in and day out with perfect results each and every time.

I've trimmed and adjusted both the length and height of a number of them. They infuse something into the cob during the 'curing' process that make them really, really tough...I honestly think it's something like cement. So maming your own from scratch wouldn't yield the same longevity...but then I've never really looked on the web for speicfics...it might be easy to do.

Last note: there is apparently a 'new' design on the way (takes a long time for growing and curing I guess) which is a Bulldog style. I hope they make a lot of 'em. They should go fast.

ewest":axrblnxy said:
Anyone else ever feel like they could just have a handful of quality cobs and be just as happy?
Yep, that's me. I have around 15 cobs, eleven of them having a natural finish which I found I prefer over the plaster finished pipes. My five briars and two meers are now in a drawer.

My natural Diplomats and Morgans get the most use and, when I'm reading, I like the natural Freehand. The Prides seem to work well with the fold and stuff method using flakes. I smoke mainly va or va blends (LNF, LTF, OGS, Old Gowerie) with an occasional bowl of Balkans (PS Balkan Supreme) in them.

I've never had a wet smoke, gurgle, dottle or poked the bottom out of a cob. They all smoke to the bottom and the ash falls out easily with a light tap.

WyoBob

Well, I'm probably being talked into getting a cob sometime soon, for a very practical reason: I work out in the desert. For a week at a time, in some instances. I worry about my briar getting dried out, dusty, dropped, knicked, bumped and bruised in the rigors of miles in the Nevada hills. I would have to reside in a backpack. I sure would love getting to the top of a hill and enjoying the view with a pipe...and a cob seems like it might be a bit more forging of an undignified journey. Looks like I'm on the prowl for a nice cob to take with me...

...now, the question remains: Who makes a good one, where to get it, and what do you cob snobs suggest?

Wait just a darned second... are these prices real?

I went over to walkerbriarworks.com/html/corn_cob_pipes.html (can't post links yet, still a forum neophyte) and lo, cob pipes! Any experience with these guys? I was over there looking for briar finishing stuff for my DIY carver, but I soon wandered onto them...

...Ideas? Suggestions? I may be a cob pipe convert just on price alone if this is indicative of reality in cob-world.

WaydeG":5yf9vwsb said:
ewest":5yf9vwsb said:
Well, thanks to John, on average I use my cobs 3-4 times each week versus my two favorite pipes (GBD Prehistoric and Rattray's Volcano) 2-3 times per month. I was gifted a Legend and then immediately turned around and bought a bent Great Dane Egg, Spool and Patriot. I'd love one of the natural red MM Freehands but can't seem to find them anywhere. My Mars Cigar basket currently has a Diplomat and Country Gentleman waiting for my final decision on tobaccos.

Hi, I'm Wayde and I'm a Cob Snob.
The natural Freehands have to be ordered from MM directly. Marilyn will help you out at 800-888-2019

Kyle Weiss":lwnusqkz said:

I went over to walkerbriarworks.com/html/corn_cob_pipes.html (can't post links yet, still a forum neophyte) and lo, cob pipes! Any experience with these guys? I was over there looking for briar finishing stuff for my DIY carver, but I soon wandered onto them...

...Ideas? Suggestions? I may be a cob pipe convert just on price alone if this is indicative of reality in cob-world.
Yes, Walker Briar Works is very much for real, and offers cobs with lucite stems, to dress them up. Missouri Meerschaum makes the only quality cobs, and Walker and a few others offer them with upgrades, such as better stems or other custom features. Again, look at my Primer and Buying Guide, and check out MM's own website to see their full range of products.

http://www.corncobpipe.com/

Kyle Weiss":hl7vxeh2 said:

yup those prices are real...that's why we love cobs so much, really great smokers for the money, and If you break it or lose it who cares...just go buy another one.