In Praise Of The Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":fj83nn2t said:
My MM order is in!

These things are beautiful!! No, I do not have the "forever stems," but these are some wonderful pipes. I'm really impressed.

So, now that I'm a first-time cob owner, is there any special care, cake-building, seasoning or any tips another cob snob can hand down?

Excited about these!
My Cob Primer should give you all the information you need, based on my own and other experienced cobbers opinions.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer

tiltjlp":3yt5zezc said:
Kyle Weiss":3yt5zezc said:
My MM order is in!

These things are beautiful!! No, I do not have the "forever stems," but these are some wonderful pipes. I'm really impressed.

So, now that I'm a first-time cob owner, is there any special care, cake-building, seasoning or any tips another cob snob can hand down?

Excited about these!
My Cob Primer should give you all the information you need, based on my own and other experienced cobbers opinions.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-new-smoker-primer
That's the ticket, right there. Thanks!

Gonna be a great Saturday night. Cool breeze, burgers on the grill with my secret onion burger butter and a new Country Gentleman full of Blackpool.

I will say that my cobs have made my pipe experience one to treasure for the rest of my life. Kinda like driving my long departed vintage Mustang(s) - such a comfort that it puts me in a completely different frame of mind. I'm in the process of purchasing 8-10 acres of raw land and look forward to the days of spending time in the solitude of my property with my old friends, the cobs and the luxury of an aged tobacco.

...now that I've learned Missouri Meerschaums are quite possibly the best made cobbers in this world, I can't wait to get out on the porch and time-warp a little for a couple of hours and relax with 'em... :cheers:

I have several MM "Freehands" and American Generals. Workhorse pipes that smoke just fine for me. :cheers:

Lestrade":u1rvq7ns said:
I have several MM "Freehands" and American Generals. Workhorse pipes that smoke just fine for me. :cheers:
Likewise, my MM's are my daily workhorses. Nothing against the Freehands or Generals, I just prefer the bent-stem Diplomats. Just personal preference.

So, I've gone quite a few rounds with my cobs "Washington" and "Diplomat" at this point: Anyone thinking of taking on a cob, pick up Missouri Meerschaum--they were made to be smoked. Don't hesitate to buy two or three: they're a total dream to smoke and light, humble in appearance, and durable.

Thanks to all who suggested MM, the break-in advice, the "bent half pipe cleaner" to replace the filter each time, and bringing me smoking joy.

I'm confident enough to firmly establish my praise of the cob. It's official. I'm going to get a freehand soon, without question. Hell, probably pick up a few more to give to friends while I'm at it. 8)

Rob_In_MO":im811cpk said:
Lestrade":im811cpk said:
Likewise, my MM's are my daily workhorses. Nothing against the Freehands or Generals, I just prefer the bent-stem Diplomats. Just personal preference.
I'm with ya on the bents.
Gentleman, Patriot, Egg, Spool - all bents. All smoke wonderfully.
I'll do my cobs 2-3 times each week (mowing, yard work, 12 oz curls, etc) and my briars get broken out on special occasions.
I was looking over a thread that referred to your "least favorite shapes" and was mildly surprised to find a number of BoB-ers that don't care for freehands.

For some reason I have never liked cobs with latakia blends. They're great with burleys, but not the former. Then last night I took an old 15-year-old Country Gentleman out and stuffed it with Rattray's Accountant. It was ambrosia, or whatever the proper term is. Very surprised, to say the least. The thing is, this tobacco tastes like crap to me in a briar, and I'm talkin' Castellos and stuff. I was aware that a cob tends to round off the edges of various blends and makes them more mellow or something, but this takes the cake. Further experimentation is called for. If I had to choose between just cobs or just briars, I'm not so sure I'd pick briar. There goes my "investment!" LOL, as they say.

WaydeG":c202qn57 said:
I was looking over a thread that referred to your "least favorite shapes" and was mildly surprised to find a number of BoB-ers that don't care for freehands.
I'm certainly not in this school of thought. :)

all my cobs save one are bents--the loner is a Pride--

the Spool, the Egg, and the Diplomat are my favorites--the Gentleman is no slouch either--cobs and burley are a match made in heaven--

Just recieved two Diplomats from Mars. Now if that ain't the basis for a Larson cartoon, I don't know what is.
I've been smoking...never mind...that ain't gonna sound right.

Anyway, I really enjoy cobs.