Inhaling.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanJohn

Reaction score
Been having a discussion about inhaling tobacco while smoking a pipe. I maintain that if you exhale through the nose, then you are inhaling,and it is best not to.
I'd like opinions please.

Nah. Inhaling into the lungs is what the deal is. They're a friggin' cul-de-sac, and have no way of ridding themselves of cooties other than coughing. Why smoke at all if you're nervous about it?

Richard Burley":d8e727q7 said:
Nah. Inhaling into the lungs is what the deal is. They're a friggin' cul-de-sac, and have no way of ridding themselves of cooties other than coughing. Why smoke at all if you're nervous about it?
This    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

If you draw the smoke into your lungs then you have inhaled. If you just puff it into your mouth and exhale the smoke through your nose that my friend is not inhaling. Most people refer to that as smoking a pipe as that is the common method albeit some do inhale the smoke into their lungs. Most doctors call that dumb. I call it enjoyable. :twisted: 

AJ

Though one probably does not inhale directly into the lungs when smoking a pipe, you are still INGESTING Nicotine into your body thru your mouth tissues, skin, and when exhaling thru the nose into your nasal passages. Let's not play games with ourselves on this. Nicotine has been proven BAD for the system, and we ARE ingesting it, though in less quantities than a cig smoker. There also is the aspect of the effects of the added chemicals added to cig 'bac for ease of keeping 'em lit and taste which are not the same in pipe tobacco. So in truth, it's all a matter of proportions. :twisted: :twisted: 

This is a mess.

I'll see if I can try and rummage through it a little.

*  Inhaling is generally regarded as taking smoke into the lungs.   Pipe tobacco and cigars, specifically, are made with stronger, un-mucked-with tobacco (meaning, not filled with stabilizers, added nicotine, super-addiction/patented chemicals and made less harsh to deliver all the former directly to the lungs).  Pipes are a delivery of flavor, and since your lungs do not taste, there's no real point to inhaling the smoke.  Since the nose is part of the tasting system, with what is known as "snorking" (or proto-exhaling), there is a way to push the smoke from your mouth through your nasal passages without taking a breath.  A lot of us do this to get different nuances and broaden flavor of our smoke.   Inhaling is possible, and not recommended.   Really, only people I know who do this are people who also smoke cigarettes.   Leave tricks like that to them, if you aren't one of 'em.

*  Worrying about inhaling is a genuine concern, but overblown (so to speak).  The fact is, you're going to be around smoke, very close to (and in) your face, so if it worries, you, don't do it.   I'm still worried about it, and I still do it.  Why?  I've been told by so many people my allergies and asthma would go through the roof, my lung capacity would diminish...which leads me to...

* ...smoke, and nicotine, are not always bad.   Not by a long shot.   Cigarettes have been the canvass that many groups and parts of government have rallied against, but they have a harder time with cigars and pipes.   Sure, there's risks.   Life is risk.  Period.  There is always a balance, however, this is also life.   Moderation, rather than gluttony, by example.  I will forever cite, to my amazement, the scant bits of smoke I am exposed to have reduced my asthma medications to just the pill form (no more daily inhaler) and I'm off one of my allergy meds, too. It's also helped with other issues in my unique brain chemistry (ASD).  Is it magic?   Nope, it's the shedding of casual or consciously-accepted misinformation by personal trials (and errors).

Obviously this is just one person's facet regarding the pipe, my own.   You can chug away like the Chattanooga choo-choo inhaling all the pipe smoke you like.  You can choose not do that.   You may or may not get any surprising health benefits; you may develop festering, worm-filled wounds on your tongue.  Who knows?  :lol:

Most come to Pipeville for the simple relaxation, but stay for the intricacies.

8)

I agree with all that has been said. One extra data point is that while I am not intentionally drawing smoke into the lungs, I am confident some small diluted amount is finding its way there. Call it "second hand" smoke or something. I consider this to be a small risk, and the benefit outweighs it. You have to make your own decisions on this.

There are risks everywhere. Some people might decide the risks are too great to climb a ladder or get married...

I guess it all depends on how you inhale.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrJwm7nq-E8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:fpalm: Recent sabbatical to Mendocino County there, PeeDee? :lol:

Ya gotta consider the extremes before you can realize where you stand and evaluate your own situation. After living through (and surviving) the 70's I no longer fear a little stray pipe smoke.

Puff Daddy":r57btnc0 said:
After living through (and surviving not remembering) the 70's I no longer fear a little stray pipe smoke.
Edited. :mrgreen:

8)

Puff Daddy":zb341d4e said:
I guess it all depends on how you inhale.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrJwm7nq-E8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
In many locations, it is more what you inhale. But, here it is how your linkage failed. :)

I inhale at least 75%, not worried about it. I've been smoking for more then 40 years and I aint dead yet. Inhaling is just automatic for me, I enjoy it. So if I die after posting this, I will have died happy.

Cartaphilus":jhx2f0p7 said:
So if I die after posting this, I will have died happy.
I won't be happy, though. I'd miss Cart posts. :selfish: :lol:

Tobacco, when respected, is about simple pleasures, not worry. The more of the former and less of the latter the better.

I believe the technique of bringing the smoke through the sinuses and nose is referred to as the snork. It is not inhaling, but it does indeed contribute to the enjoyment and certainly enhances the favors of the smoke.

Idlefellow":ndasal92 said:
I believe the technique of bringing the smoke through the sinuses and nose is referred to as the snork.  It is not inhaling, but it does indeed contribute to the enjoyment and certainly enhances the favors of the smoke.
Are referring to "French inhaling" were the smoke exits your mouth and you inhale it through your nose?
I exhale a lot out my nose but, don't not "French inhale".

Puff Daddy":81sncf84 said:
JKenP":81sncf84 said:
In many locations, it is more what you inhale.  But, here it is how your linkage failed.  :)
:scratch: 
Interesting bit here, Mr. Moderator.   You Chong video didn't show and doesn't show now in my browser.  However, when I previewed my posting, your video link showed up.  That has to relate to the forum software, I'd think. I did get a captura type middle process from Utube though. The forum software may be to dumb to know the change.

JKenP":pnri6c6l said:
... video didn't show and doesn't show now in my browser.  However, when I previewed my posting, your video link showed up.
Ah, Now I understand, a software issue. I thought you were commenting on my thought pattern there :lol: 

Uh, not that it isn't questionable :suspect: 

As to your software issue, I have an answer.

image16.jpg

Idlefellow":2meptrqa said:
I believe the technique of bringing the smoke through the sinuses and nose is referred to as the snork.
That's a little too Dr Seuss sounding. Borrowing from the cigar community, the act of expelling some of the smoke through the nose is known as Retrohaling.