Instant collection.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd opine that the valuable items have already been culled from this herd and the remainder displayed in a great heap the better to lure impulsive buyers without permitting a close look at the merchandise. If there were some good pipes in there, I'd think the seller would place them more strategically, the better to drive up bids.

KevinM":4jg243hl said:
I'd opine that the valuable items have already been culled from this herd and the remainder displayed in a great heap the better to lure impulsive buyers without permitting a close look at the merchandise. If there were some good pipes in there, I'd think the seller would place them more strategically, the better to drive up bids.
Come to think of it, it wouldn't be hard to fuzzily put a nice pipe in there for the picture and take it out before being mailed off, of course, sticking with the promised number the auction stated. It's a gamble, and good luck eBay or PayPal giving a crap if "what you thought" about the fuzzy coulda-been pipe in a pile of hundreds (that could have been anything, really) when imagination got the best of the bidder...

...huh. I'm glad I'm not paying close to two grand for that lot. :scratch:

8)

$4 a pipe seems like a steal to me, wish it were me they were coming too, well done to who ever won the bidding, a once in a life time opportunity there, well done. :)

Even counting restoration labor this is still a slam dunk. On the cheaper pipes all you do is ream the bowls and swab out the innards with everclear. Take it to the buffer and viola! $4 becomes at least $12 with about 10 minutes of work. Now for those Petes and Savs in there you could spend an hour and a half on and turn $4 into $30-$40 pretty easily.

I say this because I do it all the time at the B&M I volunteer at. I've probably restored hundreds of lower grade pipes. Trust me, even if 100 out of the 400 pipes are in-salvageable its still a really good deal.

For the right guy, yes. I've learned the hard way a few times turning a hobby into a job, and I won't be making that mistake again any time soon. It's a separate school of kung-fu than loving your work, for sure.

Meanwhile, no one here won the auction, or we would have heard about it. :lol: My condolences/congrats to the new owner of 400 old pipes. :p

8)

I don't know so much about making profit from them, if I'd won them for a better price I would have chosen 50 from the lot I liked the most then tarted the rest up and given them to the community as gifts, I just bet the guy/gal who won them is going to make a personal killing, it's fair enough, they purchased them of course, but what a wonderful opportunity to do something nice for some folk gone down the plug-hole, oh well, there it is I guess.