Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centurian 803

Reaction score
I don't want to start a war (I'm told feelings run high on this topic) but would anyone care to weigh in on the relative merits of Irish Whisky (Jameson and Bushmill) as compared to American or Canadian whisky?
Which is better Jameson or Bushmill?
Which is better American, Irish or Candadian? :scratch:

Centurian 803":lhq7bi4k said:
I don't want to start a war (I'm told feelings run high on this topic) but would anyone care to weigh in on the relative merits of Irish Whisky (Jameson and Bushmill) as compared to American or Canadian whisky?
Which is better Jameson or Bushmill?
Which is better American, Irish or Candadian? :scratch:
Humm, not sure.
Guess this calls for a test! :drunken:
Let you know in a few days.......Hic.

I've never tried Irish, but enjoy American quite often, Canadian on occasion. I never felt one was better than the other, just a slight difference in taste.

Comparing types of whisky is like comparing a pickup truck to a minivan to a sportscar--depends what you need, and you can get a great one or a lousy one in any category. For me, if I want an inexpensive whisky, to mix or because I'm broke, I prefer American rye or bourbon, but that may just be because the selection is best for me in America. If I can go top shelf, it's bourbon for me if it isn't scotch.

Given the choice and the cash-in-hand, my favorite Irish whiskey is Bushmill's Black... Bushmill's in general is more to my tastes, not as heavy as Jameson. (Don't believe the old chestnut about Jameson/Bushmill's being a Catholic/Protestant debate--that myth is thoroughly busted here.)

My preference runs to Bourbon over either Irish or Canadian. Some bourbons are as complex in flavor profile as the finest whiskeys in the world. This is particularly true in the single barrel range of several bourbons, most notably the Van Winkles. My favorite Whiskey of all of them is single malt scotch with Highland Park 18 yo and Macallan 18 leading the pack.

For me it depends what I'm in the mood for. For a long time I mostly drank George Dickel...#8 for mixing and #12 for sipping.

When I went to Ireland about 10 years ago, I toured both the Bushmill's distillery and the Jameson's and came away for a fondness of Irish whiskeys. My favorite after sampling all available nearby is Bushmill's 10 though Bushmill's Black Bush is not far behind. For the price Kilbeggan is very good and Powers Gold is too. If you have deep pockets Middleton Rare is super.

During a hunting trip to British Columbia a few years ago, the host introduced me to Wiser's Deluxe which after sampling the better known Canadian whiskys became my favorite. Then during a hunting trip last fall, I was introduced to Pendleton Canadian which is very good too. For deep pockets Crown Royal Cask #16 is very nice.

The bottom line is I keep several bottles of each type on hand in an attempt to keep my changing pallet satisfied and can't say which is the best. That's for you to decide what is best for you.

Jim...my ha'pence worth

Ok, this is getting good. I'll add my widow's mite. Between Jameson & Bushmill I find I prefer Bushmill. It seems to me to have more fruity notes than the Jameson. As for American Whiskies I use to be a big fan of Maker's Mark but now seem to prefer Jack Daniels. I hear George Dickel is good and need to try it. I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.

I'm a whiskey drinker, and I can say they all have their place in my bar. I prefer Bushmills, but it is just peronal taste. I use them to make a few drinks, namely my Belfast Bombers. I also like to sip Irish whiskey when I drink Guiness.

By American do you mean blended whiskey? or Bourbon?

I do like my Forty Creek, and I find it to be a fine spirit to accompany cigars.

My preference is small batch bourbon and 12+ year old scotch with McClelland 18 being my favorite right now.

I guess my answer is: whatever I'm in the mood for.

I too am a George Dickel fan. It's hands down better than Jack Daniel which seems syrupy to my taste. YOu need to try the Barrel Select, which I consider a small batch.

I could of swore that I had a 24 year GD, but I cannot find the empy bottle, so it may have been the 12.

Incidentally, I keep different bourbons in the house. Right now I have Booker's, Baker's, Jim Beam (for mixing), Elijah Craig 12.

I will occasionally sip a single-barrel bourbon. Other than perhaps George Dickel, I don't care for any other American or Canadian whiskey. Irish I absolutely love; Jameson and Bushmills both high on the list. We prefer the older and/or the single-malt ones. We visited the Jameson distillery two years ago. Brought back several bottles of their "Distillery Reserve" 12-year old whiskey. We drink our "Irish" just as we do our "Scotch," neat or with a wee dram o' spring water. FTRPLT

ftrplt":kduc0sig said:
I will occasionally sip a single-barrel bourbon. Other than perhaps George Dickel, I don't care for any other American or Canadian whiskey. Irish I absolutely love; Jameson and Bushmills both high on the list. We prefer the older and/or the single-malt ones. We visited the Jameson distillery two years ago. Brought back several bottles of their "Distillery Reserve" 12-year old whiskey. We drink our "Irish" just as we do our "Scotch," neat or with a wee dram o' spring water. FTRPLT
Damn, you boys are makin me thirsty! :drool:
I might have to make a stop on the way home!

Centurian 803":maq70w45 said:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.
Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":qett2ktj said:
Centurian 803":qett2ktj said:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.
Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim
'
Thanks, I'll look for that at my local pkg store.

Texas Outlaw":qyrxcqt2 said:
I too am a George Dickel fan. It's hands down better than Jack Daniel which seems syrupy to my taste. YOu need to try the Barrel Select, which I consider a small batch.

I could of swore that I had a 24 year GD, but I cannot find the empy bottle, so it may have been the 12.

Incidentally, I keep different bourbons in the house. Right now I have Booker's, Baker's, Jim Beam (for mixing), Elijah Craig 12.
Been planning a trip to the Dickel distillery. Guess this would be a good time to go. Thanks for the tip.

I did end up trying the Jameson, It was good but for the money I'll just stick with my Rye or Bourbon.

If you want to try a really good Irish whiskey than I would suggest John Powers Gold Label. It is probably the smoothest whiskey I have ever had. It's not #1 in Ireland for nothing.
I still prefer a good Bourbon but this is a good change of pace for me.

SailorJack":oizsdn2p said:
If you want to try a really good Irish whiskey than I would suggest John Powers Gold Label. It is probably the smoothest whiskey I have ever had. It's not #1 in Ireland for nothing.
I still prefer a good Bourbon but this is a good change of pace for me.
Whole hearty agree
My Grandda only drank Powers
And between it and Paddys I would have a hard time a choosin

well i drink bourbons ,american ryes and irish.
haven't seen any references to tullamore dew, an excellent irish... smooth, tasty and expensive... but worth it if you lov e irish

Recently tried the Crown Royal, very good!
I noticed the last trip to the local ABC they are stocking the Wild Turkey Rye which JP turned me on to last year, excellent IMO (I am partial to Rye when I can find it). I typically pick up the Jim Beam Rye (which one of the three local ABC's regularly stocks) when I'm in the mood for it, but in the fall they stock the WT Rye here in VA. I've asked about Van Winkle Rye (highly recommended by JP) which they tell me they can order.

Bushmills over Jameson, but for pure ease of drinking It is always a canadian blend like Canadian club or classic 12 or Seagrams 7 or VO or Black Velvet

Centurian 803":rwz3a2tx said:
Ok, this is getting good. I'll add my widow's mite. Between Jameson & Bushmill I find I prefer Bushmill. It seems to me to have more fruity notes than the Jameson. As for American Whiskies I use to be a big fan of Maker's Mark but now seem to prefer Jack Daniels. I hear George Dickel is good and need to try it. I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.
george dickel showed up at a bourbon tasting a year ago, though like jack daniels, it's not a bourbon and the guy who brought it took a razzing. all the same, i fell in love with it. very earthy, lots of dark tones, barrel and whatnot.

i've tried various irish whiskeys without success. there's a metallic, copper taste in there i don't care for. with so many top notch american bourbons to enjoy, from the salon whiskey's of old grandad 114, bullet, wild turkey rare breed (god, i'm starting to sweat now), to rich sweet single barrels, the bakers and bookers (got that for a present a month ago--wow, good stuff)--anyway, my long winded point is, i'm happy to stick with american in this department.