Irish Whisky vs American or Canadian

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing up in Canada, Canadian Club was always the whisky of choice, but it was mostly mixed with coke or ginger. Now a days, I never mix anything except a drop of water, but CC has remained my favorite everyday Canadian. I had a couple bottles of Black Velvet reserved which was an 8 yo Canadian that was quite nice, but have not seen it locally for a while. I will drink Crown when someone else is buying but don't find it is worth the price otherwise.

I have not partaken of Irish whiskey for quite a while, but if memory serves Jamesons was usually my choice, possibly just because it was easy to find vs the other brands. My econ professor in college was a big Jamesons fan and I think that is where I got introduced to it. I have only been drinking bourbon for a few years so far, and Makers Mark is a safe, easy to find choice when I do. Don't like JD, Wild Turkey is pretty tasty and I do buy it for a change from time to time.

I'd take Bushmills over Jameson any day. But I have a question for you American bourbon lovers: do you have any recommendations? Of course, I'm familiar with Jack Daniels and Four Roses, but that's about it from your side of the pond.

I had a look at the site of a well stocked whisky shop over here and here are some of the American whiskeys they offer: (ri)¹, Blanton, Baker's, Colorado Stranahan's, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, George Dickel, George T. Stagg, Hancock's Reserve, Hirsch, I.W. Harper, Johnny Drum, Maker's Mark, McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt, Noah's Mill, Old Potrero, Parker's Heritage Selection, Pure Kentucky, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Rock Hill Farms, Rowan's Creek, Sazerac Rye, Wild Turkey and Woodford.

Sorry for the long list, but that is about half of what they have in stock (I excluded the cheapest stuff). I'm curious to try some "premium" US whiskey or at least some of the "good stuff". I'm not up for paying a few hundred euro for a bottle, but don't mind the price of a typical bottle of decent Scotch as a bottle usually lasts me for at least a month.

I've heard that Jameson and Bushmills and in fact all Irish distilleries except for one are now owned by non-Irish companies/entities. I can't remember what their name is though for the life of me, they make a few different products.

All in all I am biased towards American styles (bourbon and rye mostly), but also enjoy Jameson from time to time as well as scotch (recently tried Highland Park 12 which was fantastic). Each has something different to offer.

I don't think I've ever had canadian whiskey, is Canadian Club a good place to start?

fmw":0js7k2om said:
I'd take Bushmills over Jameson any day. But I have a question for you American bourbon lovers: do you have any recommendations? Of course, I'm familiar with Jack Daniels and Four Roses, but that's about it from your side of the pond.

I had a look at the site of a well stocked whisky shop over here and here are some of the American whiskeys they offer: (ri)¹, Blanton, Baker's, Colorado Stranahan's, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, George Dickel, George T. Stagg, Hancock's Reserve, Hirsch, I.W. Harper, Johnny Drum, Maker's Mark, McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt, Noah's Mill, Old Potrero, Parker's Heritage Selection, Pure Kentucky, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Rock Hill Farms, Rowan's Creek, Sazerac Rye, Wild Turkey and Woodford.

Sorry for the long list, but that is about half of what they have in stock (I excluded the cheapest stuff). I'm curious to try some "premium" US whiskey or at least some of the "good stuff". I'm not up for paying a few hundred euro for a bottle, but don't mind the price of a typical bottle of decent Scotch as a bottle usually lasts me for at least a month.
jack daniels and george dickel are made south of kentucky and due to the way they make it, are not considered bourbons. that said, they're both good stuff. wow, stay away from four roses. (at least i've yet to have a good one) maker's mark is made by jim beam, as is bookers, and bakers and are all top notch and a wonderful place to start. for that matter, straight jim beam is damn good and one of my staples. ridgemont reserve 1792, absolutely wonderful. of the wild turkeys, i prefer the wild turkey rare breed, which is a bit more pricey, but worth it if you ask me, but straight wild turkey is a nice kick in the pants. both elijah craig and woodford are high on my list as well. i'm pretty fluent in the bourbon category and you mentioned a few i've not heard of. maybe some others can comment on them. (or i'll sick my brother on you who goes to kentucky for their annual bourbon fest.)

to help you get started though, i'd begin with maker's mark for a very smooth, specialty bourbon. if you want what i call 'salon' whiskey (usually a bit harsher, higher alcohol content, and packs a 'hot damn!' at the end) try wild turkey, jim beam, or bullet if you can find it there.

have fun! it's as much fun as trying different tobaccos. (and keep us posted as to what you try and how you liked it)

Believe me I've tried them all! It's Canadian for me. Northern Light for everyday, good quality, low price.
On special occasions Forty Creek or Pendleton. That being said this calls for a special occassion! :D Like last night, St. Emmeloord Day in Holland. Sure I made it up but the wife doesn't know that!

For my money on canadian whiskey it has to be Tangle Ridge, don't know about the availability down south or across the pond but it sure is smooth for a rye blend and great vanilla notes.

St. Emmeloord Day,,,as in Noordoostpolder, Netherlands?,,,, :lol!:

Thanks for the recommendations, Bruins. You gave me a good starting point for my next trip to the whiskyshop!

Falconer":oc78fts9 said:
Like last night, St. Emmeloord Day in Holland. Sure I made it up but the wife doesn't know that!
Hilarious! As someone from Holland it is especially funny.

My all time favorite is Jack Daniel's but I only drink it every once in a while because it's kind of expensive. I have friends that drink a lot of Jameson and Bushmill's so I tend to drink a lot of that. When I'm home, I drink mostly Evan Williams because it's cheap and it tastes good. The only Canadian I have tried is Black Velvet and I just don't like it.

Johnny":kxcv0sgy said:
My all time favorite is Jack Daniel's but I only drink it every once in a while because it's kind of expensive. I have friends that drink a lot of Jameson and Bushmill's so I tend to drink a lot of that. When I'm home, I drink mostly Evan Williams because it's cheap and it tastes good. The only Canadian I have tried is Black Velvet and I just don't like it.
my brother bought me evan williams in a big ass jug and i thought, 'oh boy, this is gonna be bad.' i was wrong, quite wrong. another cheap one i really enjoy (maybe it's just me) but i think ten high is a great salon whiskey.

Picked up a bottle of Old Crow today after reading a couple of folks here recommending it. It was only $13 bucks after tax. If it's good, it'll be a regular here :twisted:

Irish--I've always been a Bushmill's fan. I lean a little toward Black Bush. Michael Colllins single malt is quite good and reasonably priced, though a little higher than Bushmill. Americans--Dickel has always been a favorite. Can't stand Jack--rotgut...to me. In Bourbon's it's the Van Winkle clan--when I can afford them. However, my current fav is George Stagg--really fine, fine stuff, at $50-60. The only thing better are the high end Van Winkles. The small batch Beams are good--I like Baker's a little more than the others. I grew up drinking Old Taylor. Haven't had any in years. One that gets overlooked a lot is Old Forester. It's cheap but pretty tasty. Then the ryes. I just started on ryes a few years ago. I have some Sazerac and it's good stuff, but my favorite is Old Potrero--made in California...great stuff. Canadians. My "drink" when I'm out on the town is plain ole Calverts and seven. I don't care how drunk the bartender is--he can make the drink strong or weak--it still tastes like Calverts.

Centurian 803":3569rj36 said:
Ol'Dawg":3569rj36 said:
Centurian 803":3569rj36 said:
I haven't tried any Canadians yet and don't know where to start.
Based on your preference for Bushmills with its fruity note, I'd recommend Pendleton as a good place to start. I believe it's made in Oregon but bottled in Canada to make it "authentic" Canadian.

Jim
'
Thanks, I'll look for that at my local pkg store.
Pendleton is as smooth as butter!
Forty Creek is very good!
I like Northern light for an inexpensive Canadian Whisky.

I have no allegiance. I like whiskey. Period.

Jameson 1780 is the best Irish Whiskey I've had so far, but I haven't tried anything above the $30 mark.

I love bourbon. Affordable, but I don't sacrifice anything I like about whiskey in drinking it. I prefer the wheated variety. Sweet, maple syrup, molasses, prunes, caramel, etc. The only brand so far that has consistently made me want to stop drinking whiskey is anything out of the Jim Beam house. To some degree, it all tastes like petroleum product to me, from kerosene to lamp oil. Knob Creek is the least offender.

Scotch, I prefer it smokey, peaty, and robust. Tea, tobacco, and Scotch...all sharing those elements. Lagavulin has priced itself out of my market, but the 16 year old used to be a staple in my home.

To answer your question, purely by how often I seem to buy and drink it, I guess I'd have to say I have a preference for bourbon (American) over the others. I often see specials on Irish Whiskies, but I don't buy them. Too many bourbons I'd like to try staring back at me in the aisle.

A little something about Jack Daniels...I've found that Evan Williams for less than $10 a fifth is actually better than any of the JD products sub-$30. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for some Sour Mash. It's a very simple, quick flavor, but it is smooth.

I was a solid Crown Royal fella, but I thought recently I'd branch out and try some others. Presently, I'm testing Gibson's 12 year old. Very nice... better than the Gibson's "silver".

Hey! you can't go wrong with anything Canadian.....Canadian whisky....Canadian pipe shape...Canadian _ _ _hummm... can I get back to you on that?

Oh and Canadian geese and....

Falconer":jy52xq0e said:
Hey! you can't go wrong with anything Canadian.....Canadian whisky....Canadian pipe shape...Canadian _ _ _hummm... can I get back to you on that?

By the way... the Geese are heading your way, the younsters are getting trial runs... a warm, warm day today but they are heading south....

:cheers:

Slow Puffs":clyzxbax said:
Falconer":clyzxbax said:

By the way... the Geese are heading your way, the younsters are getting trial runs... a warm, warm day today but they are heading south....

Are you kidding SP? I live on a lake and they never leave! I don't know if we can handle anymore. Last year I had to slap one up side the head for goosing my wife during a walk along the lake. They can be mean buggers if they so desire.

Falconer":7a27to5p said:
Slow Puffs":7a27to5p said:
Falconer":7a27to5p said:

Are you kidding SP? I live on a lake and they never leave! I don't know if we can handle anymore. Last year I had to slap one up side the head for goosing my wife during a walk along the lake. They can be mean buggers if they so desire.
New York City kills em by the thousands.

Mass goose murder

What a waste

I'm a fan of Jameson, and typically I like Irish whiskey more than anything else, but I'm also known to enjoy Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey as well as Ancient Age bourbon.