Is it just me? John Cotton's Smyrna vs Balkan Sobranie?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
Is it just me or is JC Smyrna really similar to the current production of Balkan Sobranie? There are some differences but they're minor. There just isn't that well fermented texture of the JC but the base notes feel the same to me.

That's not my experience. Balkan Sobranie is too grassy with less yenidje than it used to have. The old version was great and a regular smoke. The new stuff... amazingly mediocre to me. JC Smyrna is more Oriental forward (woody and spicier) as the name implies, and doesn't have much grassiness. I'd buy Smyrna, but not the new BS.

JimInks":s0nmdpi8 said:
That's not my experience. Balkan Sobranie is too grassy with less yenidje than it used to have. The old version was great and a regular smoke. The new stuff... amazingly mediocre to me. JC Smyrna is more Oriental forward (woody and spicier) as the name implies, and doesn't have much grassiness. I'd buy Smyrna, but not the new BS.
I agree with that assessment. I feel they're in the same ball park, but i do like Smyrna more. Pretty happy about that since BS is hard to find. I hope it's offered in larger sizes than just the 1.75oz tin. Which works out to like 109 bucks a pound.

ZeroContent":9wf9e3hd said:
JimInks":9wf9e3hd said:
I agree with that assessment. I feel they're in the same ball park, but i do like Smyrna more.  Pretty happy about that since BS is hard to find.  I hope it's offered in larger sizes than just the 1.75oz tin.  Which works out to like 109 bucks a pound.  
'Fraid you out of luck with that. It and the 759 used to be available in 4 oz tins back in the '70s but that stopped by the '80s. They make more $s this way and we all support making mucho $s. It's the Amurican way !! :twisted: :twisted:

ZeroContent":bv5fu9dr said:
JimInks":bv5fu9dr said:
I agree with that assessment. I feel they're in the same ball park, but i do like Smyrna more.  Pretty happy about that since BS is hard to find.  I hope it's offered in larger sizes than just the 1.75oz tin.  Which works out to like 109 bucks a pound.  
From what you wrote I thought you were speaking about the BS.

"..... since BS is hard to find.  I hope it's offered in larger sizes than just the 1.75oz tin.  Which works out to like 109 bucks a pound. " :twisted: :twisted:

JimInks":m0gqiypd said:
Dan here. I'm one of the guys behind the Standard Tobacco Co of Pennsylvania.

The truth is, you are all correct. All tobacco is the same, we just change the tin art. The rest is testament to the power of suggestion.