Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good answers here. My Presbyterian Pastor smokes a pipe as well as about half the men in our church. Just like alcohol the tobacco leaf is a blessing from God and should be used wisely and in moderation.

shootist51":cude6q95 said:
I am often reminded of the story of the young man smoking on a street corner who is approached by a man of the cloth and informed that smoking is bad for his health. He replies that his grandfather lived to be 87 years old. The preacher asks,"Was he a smoker?' "No", replies the young man."but he knew enough to mind his own damn business."
shootist51
One of my favorite stories along the same line occurred when a fellow was digging worms for fishing on a Sunday morning when a lady passed by and said "Sir, don't you realize this is the Lord's day?" He replied "No, I was too busy minding my own business." I use the reply when I've had enough of someone obnoxiously trying to tell me how to live my life.

Jim

Number 6":udw21n97 said:
EJinVA- That argument can blow up on your face. After all, not every plant and herb is good for us (although within the theist worldview, it may well serve a good purpose that has nothing to do with us). Hemlock and poison ivy come right to mind.
Good for us in some respects, bad for us in others. Depends on why and how they're used ;) But the substance isn't the issue.

Ol'Dawg":a9ipyd28 said:
shootist51":a9ipyd28 said:
I am often reminded of the story of the young man smoking on a street corner who is approached by a man of the cloth and informed that smoking is bad for his health. He replies that his grandfather lived to be 87 years old. The preacher asks,"Was he a smoker?' "No", replies the young man."but he knew enough to mind his own damn business."
shootist51
One of my favorite stories along the same line occurred when a fellow was digging worms for fishing on a Sunday morning when a lady passed by and said "Sir, don't you realize this is the Lord's day?" He replied "No, I was too busy minding my own business." I use the reply when I've had enough of someone obnoxiously trying to tell me how to live my life.

Jim
Jim, Your the wisest feller on this forum!
I just love your bits of wisdom spread with humor.

Interesting topic to me as I have members of my family who are convinced that I am going to hell for smoking. It will be hotter than normal for me according to some of them because I also have been known to have a drink as well and sometime even simultaneously. I try to live a Christian life and be a good example. Sometimes though because of all the legalism in today's churches it is extremley difficult to meet their standards. Being a Christian I don't even try because as I understand it the price paid on the cross was sufficient for whatever sins this old man has committed. I'll put my faith in that, not some gluttonous overweight preacher who has to know that eating to the point of morbid obesity is every bit as sinful as smoking a bowl of tobacco. But let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I guess we'll find out judgment day, heh? :)

You are all wrong, but I have the answers. For a small donation to my mission in pongo pongo ( we are teaching cross-eyed pygmies how to sell there basket weaving on e-bay) I will send you the truth by telepathic message. :mrgreen:

Tennessee Dave":nvddiy8d said:
Being a Christian I don't even try because as I understand it the price paid on the cross was sufficient for whatever sins this old man has committed. I'll put my faith in that, not some gluttonous overweight preacher who has to know that eating to the point of morbid obesity is every bit as sinful as smoking a bowl of tobacco. But let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I guess we'll find out judgment day, heh? :)
Just an old sinner saved by Grace. I agree: we'll find out at the Judgment Seat.
Terry :pipe:

I think holding your tongue in that situation was wise,,,with your grandpa and the elderly woman in the room ,confrontation would have just made everyone uncomfortable, good job (in my opinion) live and let live :cheers:

yeah i think the next time i see that preacher and he says some thing to me about smoking ill just say to him ill be right back im going out side to enjoy a nice bowl of Devil's Holiday :twisted:

A little perspective from a practitioner of that Old Time Religion: if it's not banned by the Torah (the written law) or the Talmud (the expert interpretation of the law), it's not a 'sin'... though the concepts of sin and grace are not really the same as they are in most Christian interpretations. The short answer: tobacco isn't forbidden, but some authorities discourage smoking for health reasons (modern cigarettes bearing the brunt of that association of course.) Pipe smoking being reasonably health-neutral = not forbidden and thus a personal choice.

But the Hasidic Jews, an ecstatic Orthodox sect, embraced tobacco for its mind-altering properties. To wit:

...there are certain subtle 'holy sparks' in tobacco which, under divine providence, was brought to Europe so the masters could elevate these sparks in order to complete the full restoration that would result in the coming of the Messiah.
So... keep smoking those pipes!

Its use by the Hasidim raises the weed from the profane to the scared in that no one is ashamed to accept from another a peck of snuff or a pipeful of tobacco and so acts of benevolence are carried out through it all the time.
Sounds like they understood the Brotherhood, yes?

The lulke (churchwarden pipe) of the Baal Shem Tov (a famous rabbi/mystic) features frequently in Hasidic legend.
It was reputedly so long that an assistant had to light it.

what i think ill do is find me a preacher that smokes pipes and have him bless my tobacco and we should be all good :mrgreen:

mark said:
I think holding your tongue in that situation was wise,,,with your grandpa and the elderly woman in the room ,confrontation would have just made everyone uncomfortable, good job (in my opinion) live and let live :cheers:[/quote

yeah i know i did not want things to get out of hand but my redheaded temper it was tested

Ol'Dawg":5h62fm51 said:
shootist51":5h62fm51 said:
shootist51

Jim
All fabulous contributions to a great topic! I think most of the bases have been covered but I will add "There is therefore now no more condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus". Only He knows our hearts. Matthew 15:11 says - "It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

Jim, as EJ indicated, your responses of wisdom are priceless!

They use to tell me when I was going fishing on Sunday that I was going to end up catching the devil some Sunday. :lol:

Matt 15:11 is exactly where I was going to respond to this thread as well. It's amazing how people who call themselves Christians are so eager to be like the Pharisees that Jesus repeatedly condemned. Matt 23 is one of the most intriguing chapters of the Bible IMO. FWIW, I attend a very "legalistic" congregation, and I've had public discussions on the issue of alcohol (which I think the same arguments apply to pipes). I'm not alone in my convictions on these topics either. If anyone is interested, I can definitely answer any questions that may come up.

Hey guys, I didn't get a chance to read through everyone's posts, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents. Frankly, I don't know if it's a sin; however, it can't be any worse of a sin than gluttony...which many non-smokers partake in. Anyone for lusting after a neighbor's wife? All of a sudden smoking (in a polite manner without endangering non-smokers) doesn't seem like a sin.

robertw1249":llw4dua7 said:
what i think ill do is find me a preacher that smokes pipes and have him bless my tobacco and we should be all good :mrgreen:

ooooh, I got this one: Then you can exclaim, "holy smoke!" every time you light up....

Judges?

Texas Outlaw":o6bgi8ao said:
Hey guys, I didn't get a chance to read through everyone's posts, but I figure I'll throw in my two cents. Frankly, I don't know if it's a sin; however, it can't be any worse of a sin than gluttony...which many non-smokers partake in. Anyone for lusting after a neighbor's wife? All of a sudden smoking (in a polite manner without endangering non-smokers) doesn't seem like a sin.
Well, ya know there's a commandment 'bout that "neighbor's wife" thingy. ;)
They don't say nuthin' 'bout smokin'. :evil:

shootist51[b said:
":frpqv7jc]Just so you know, I hold the record in Indiana for distance in pitching priests off of balconies[/b]....
Was that freestyle or Olympic rules? And, was the pitch for vertical or horizontal distance, or merely the total number tossed in a timed event? :darklord:

As a child, I was raised in an immigrant Roman Catholic family. Our priests, who came from Yugoslavia and Poland, smoked like proverbial 'chimneys, all the time. Pipes and cigars seemed to prevail, w/ an occasional cigarette smoker, but the point was that they smoked, quite consciously. It was never an issue for them, or for any creature comfort, I might add. In our Phila pipegroup, one of the more prominent members is Rabbi Ira Stone, who writes quite positively and articulately in his blog "Pipe Pulpit" about pipes and smoking. Again, never any issue about the religious ramifications of smoking. You should be praised for thinking enough to do a good deed for an elder person.

morleysson":ykfd2enp said:
You should be praised for thinking enough to do a good deed for an elder person.
Amen!

Always nice to see you post Morleysson!