It must be getting to be spring time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy-boy

Reaction score
Cause I gots me a cravin for a dry Martini.
Boodles, Noilly pratt 6 to 1. three queen olives please.

paddy-boy":2oixytst said:
Cause I gots me a cravin for a dry Martini.
Boodles, Noilly pratt 6 to 1. three queen olives please.
Bravo! One olive or three. Never two!

I prefer three. Traditionally, the olive should be eaten before the drink is drunk. I happen to really like the olive steeped in the martini for a while, so three is the right number. One to eat, according to tradition, to whet the whistle, one as a mid-cocktail snack, and a third to stew until the drink is done, and to tide me over whilst I wait for the second round to chill. ;)

SWMBO just mentioned that now that the daffodils and crocuses are up everywhere and the days are getting longer and warmer, it must be getting close to Gin & Tonic season, (our traditional summer drink). Interesting that our libations, like our tobaccos, seem to have seasonal preferences.

Natch

My wife has been enjoying dry martinis as of late. When I make myself a Manhattan I fix her a Sky martini with 3 queen greens, served 'Up'. The last jar of olives I got at BevMo claims to be jarred in vermouth, they may be, but they just taste like good martini olives to me. I always manage to sneak and munch on one while I'm mixing drinks 8)

Puff Daddy":ulmittei said:
My wife has been enjoying dry martinis as of late. When I make myself a Manhattan I fix her a Sky martini with 3 queen greens, served 'Up'. The last jar of olives I got at BevMo claims to be jarred in vermouth, they may be, but they just taste like good martini olives to me. I always manage to sneak and munch on one while I'm mixing drinks 8)
PD
I must humbly disagree.
A martini is made with Gin not Vodka.
Unless there is a Skyy Gin I don't know about. :D

You guys are making me thirsty...and at 10 am on a Thursday at my desk, that is not a good thing!

I am longing for the Spring air to start rolling in. The nights are slightly bitter, but the air is moist from the thaw and the warmth from the days sun lingers a little longer with each day. Kicking back on the porch and listening to life start popping up from beneath the frozen ground, a carefully chilled martini in hand, and the perfectly clear sky overhead that shouts "tomorrow will be a good day".

Yes. Now I am really thirsty and anxious for Spring.

Benjamin Button":vvp0w85b said:
You guys are making me thirsty...and at 10 am on a Thursday at my desk, that is not a good thing!
Aw, c'mon. That's what desk drawers are for...

;)

glpease":0im3emyn said:
Benjamin Button":0im3emyn said:

;)
Amen

But your own your own for a shaker and Ice.

glpease":tcg05w8j said:
Benjamin Button":tcg05w8j said:

;)
I'll leave it up to you to find a way to fit the olives in my flask. :D

Getting them out will be secondary. :drunken:

Benjamin Button":bu6zbm9w said:
glpease":bu6zbm9w said:
Benjamin Button":bu6zbm9w said:

;)
I'll leave it up to you to find a way to fit the olives in my flask. :D

Getting them out will be secondary. :drunken:
Oh, that's easy. You just need a larger flask!

My design neurons are working overtime, now. A Martini flask. Double walled, with a thermal pack between the two walls. A separate compartment for the olives - you don't want the martini to get cloudy - and a built-in stainless cocktail pick. Chill the flask. Make a pristine martini in the usual way, and pour it in. When you're ready, so is your martini. Transportable glassware in the proper size and shape is a little more challenging.

I'm not really as much of a sot as it may appear...

By the way, am I the only one annoyed by the ridiculous trend towards absurdly large cocktail glasses? I saw a 15oz version the other day. Asinine! I have some beautiful cocktail glasses from the 1930s that are about 3oz; a bit TOO small, and not quite the right shape. It seems to me the pinnacle of the martini glass probably occurred in the late 1950s or early 1960s when people still wore neckties and jackets to parties. The glassware was elegant, and perfectly sized. Too small, you only get a few sips, or they end up so full that they become a spill hazzard. Too large, and the drink will warm up before you finish it.

glpease":4emhteaa said:

My design neurons are working overtime, now. A Martini flask. Double walled, with a thermal pack between the two walls. A separate compartment for the olives - you don't want the martini to get cloudy - and a built-in stainless cocktail pick. Chill the flask. Make a pristine martini in the usual way, and pour it in. When you're ready, so is your martini. Transportable glassware in the proper size and shape is a little more challenging.
You may be on to something here...hmmm...I can visualize it. To the drawing board!

glpease":4emhteaa said:
By the way, am I the only one annoyed by the ridiculous trend towards absurdly large cocktail glasses? I saw a 15oz version the other day. Asinine! I have some beautiful cocktail glasses from the 1930s that are about 3oz; a bit TOO small, and not quite the right shape. It seems to me the pinnacle of the martini glass probably occurred in the late 1950s or early 1960s when people still wore neckties and jackets to parties. The glassware was elegant, and perfectly sized. Too small, you only get a few sips, or they end up so full that they become a spill hazzard. Too large, and the drink will warm up before you finish it.
It's funny you say that. We actually just downsized our martini glasses at the wine bar I work at part time. I prefer the smaller size, for one, because it forces the consumer to sip rather than gulp which many of the younger martini consumers today are not accustomed to. I believe partly due to the fact that the word martini in itself today is not so much associated with gin, but more so with crazy concoctions of sweet mixers and liqueurs, the market has slowly started to increase the size of the martini vessel to accommodate the amount of mixer that is required in the drinks thus also providing more room for the alcohol. Unfortunately, any drink that is now served in a martini glass is considered a "martini" and the word in and of itself has been sadly "lost in the mix", pun fully intended.

Natch":nqdcvd60 said:
Interesting that our libations, like our tobaccos, seem to have seasonal preferences.
Natch
Agreed. In Fall/Winter, it's Manhattans or Scotch for us. Spring/Summer it's strictly Bombay Sapphire martinis. I have to be careful with the martinis though. For some reason they really pack a punch on me. :drunken:

On the topic of seasonal drinking i personally won't drink rum until its at least 20 degrees Celsius (room Temp) outside, Eggnog only within 3 weeks before Christmas.

Blended whiskey any old time of the year!

Call my young and inexperienced but my taste for Martinis has yet to be established and i only imbibe them when already into my cups but i always stick to my old man's old addage: "Martinis are like boobs, one is not enough and three is too many"

paddy-boy":m9pqv2ip said:
PD
I must humbly disagree.
Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so :!: Some points just are not worth toiling after, given the opposition :shock: Now for me, I'm a Bombay Sapphire man (just hold the vermouth bottle over the mixing glass and bless it by making the Catholic crossing motion, hopefully none of the vermouth will spill into the gin in doing so). Gently stirred, 3 queens, served 'Up' and no distractions please :)

Besides, if she wants Sky, Sky's the limits! ($14 a bottle, gotta love a cheap date ;) )

Puff Daddy":86zt30zm said:
[Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so . )
Yes, when mama's happy, everyone's happy !!!! :lol!:

Puff Daddy":f3xkyhua said:
paddy-boy":f3xkyhua said:
PD
I must humbly disagree.
Ah but you see, you've left out the single greatest factor in your assessment: The wife declares the vodka martini to be the finest of cocktails, thus, clearly it is so :!: Some points just are not worth toiling after, given the opposition :shock: Now for me, I'm a Bombay Sapphire man (just hold the vermouth bottle over the mixing glass and bless it by making the Catholic crossing motion, hopefully none of the vermouth will spill into the gin in doing so). Gently stirred, 3 queens, served 'Up' and no distractions please :)

Besides, if she wants Sky, Sky's the limits! ($14 a bottle, gotta love a cheap date ;) )
I stand corrected sir. :D

glpease":m515767s said:

I'm so reminded of the Bugs Bunny cartoon where the Saint Bernard runs up to rescue Yosemite Sam, opens his little barrel attached to his collar, mixes up a martini which he then gulps down, packs up and runs off barking.
:lol!:

With snow on the ground I am longing for that Spring martini myself. As for me, I'll take it 5:1 (not very dry) using Hendrick's or Tanqueray Ten. I completely agree with Greg on the 3 olive system, eating at the beginning middle and end of the Martini.

Until the weather warms a bit (we are expecting 70's by the end of the week, despite the gloomy snow day we are having), I will have to stick with my snifter of Bourbon.

-Andrew