It's Time!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypipester

Reaction score
For a little while now I've been putting off opening the 20+ year old tins of HOTW I was fortunate enough to stumble upon.. but, I decided that with tomorrow being my 19th birthday, I will be opening one of the tins, and making it a midnight smoke..

Another wonderful pre-birthday surprise, I just got the new issue of The Pipe Collector today (if you haven't subscribed to the NASPC newsletter, I highly recommend it.. it's the best currently-in-print pipe periodical out there IMHO).

I'll post my impressions on it, good Lord willing, within the next couple days.

Cheers, and may you all smoke your pipes in peace for many years to come!

I posted one of em for trade, but ultimately decided to keep them.. just opened one to give it some breathing time before I smoke it... wow, beautiful is all I can say.. the aroma is a nice melding of the VA's and Perique, the tobacco (will post pics) is mostly different shades of brown, with wonderful small sugar crystals on the baccy.. it's tempting to load a bowl (the moisture level is perfect), but I will hold off till midnight, or at least close to it lol.

That's pretty cool getting to try something older than you are...at least tobacco wise. :lol:

Jim
PS- A early happy birthday wish!

Ol'Dawg said:
That's pretty cool getting to try something older than you are...at least tobacco wise. :lol:

Jim

I would love to smoke some tobacco older than me, but I don't think any of the tobacco Columbus brought back are available for sale?!?

Natch

Happy 19th birthday. 20 year old HOTW - wow. I haven't even got pipes older than me.

Yeah, birth-year pipes are cool, but (almost) birth-year tobacco, that is something special. I'd make it an annual event, 2 tins will last you a long time.

Enjoy your day!

What a great deal!! Happy Birthday!!! :cheers: Wonder if I could scrounge up some 1946 BS 759 anywhere???????? :lol!: FTRPLT

Thank you for all the birthday wishes guys!

The HOTW was wonderful, and a bit surprising (I had never smoked HOTW before). It started out with a very strong burst of VA sweetness, and a decent dose of fruit and spice, beautifully melded together. After about the first third of the bowl, it mellowed out considerably to a pancake and butter type of flavour with some occasional spice. It smoked down to a very small amount of grey ash

Forgive me if my reviews are a bit lacking in depth, but I'm not necessarily the greatest reviewer lol.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Happy Birthday!!
I hope the HOTW was everthing you'd hope it to be!

Thank you guys! It was quite an enjoyable birthday in general, and the HOTW just made it great.

This is a very musical thread lol, the title I gave it made me think of Tom Waits' "Time" (one of my favorite artists by the way), and Ol' Dawg made me start humming "older women, are beautiful lovers" :p

Happy belated birthday! Oh, to be 19 again! I was smoking Sir Walter Raleigh from the 5&10 and you are smoking 20 year old HOTW. Times have changed!

Thanks Jim!

JP, I'm definitely lucky to have found all the wonderful tobaccos I have, and most of that was thanks to the internet. I'm also really happy to say that I've been able to introduce my uncle, an off-and-on pipesmoker for 25 years, to a number of higher quality tobaccos. His normal smoke was Prince Albert, but believe it or not, our little local grocery store no longer carries the Prince (you know a town is going down the drain when ya can't get Prince Albert in a can or a pouch!! But I digress...).

Speaking of old things lol, I got a bit of a birthday pipe today that's special in a few ways. First off, it was from my favorite tobacconist's, second it's my first Dunhill, and third I think it's considerably older than me, and it's older than the HOTW for sure... the only thing is, I don't know just how old. On the one side it has the letter A (which I know means it's one of their bruyere's) and:

DUNHILL
LONDON

On the other side of the shank it says:

MADE IN ENGLAND
PAT. NO. 1343253/20

It also has this stamped on it: T34

Any Dunhill lovers out there who could tell me how old it is? I'm also wondering what the heck T34 means...

It's a lovely little estate pipe for sure...

Cheers!!
HP