Jack Knife Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterE":0aje45t3 said:
If you like the JKP, you might also try the GLP Triple Play. It's basically JKP with some Perique pressed in. I like it more personally.
MisterE, I used to think the same until the dark Lord himself clarified:
glpease":0aje45t3 said:
The recipe for Triple Play is quite different from JackKnife's. In addition to the perique, t's got much less dark-fired, and the virginias are balanced slightly differently.
You can find the discussion at https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t15431-i-just-tried-gl-pease-s-jackknife-plug . :)

^Yes, I remember that discussion. The proportions are a little different, but it still tastes like JKP with Perique added. :lol:

My favourite way of prepping JKP is to slice it very thin, rubbing it out to a fine shag, packing the bowl fairly loosely. Some enjoy it sliced thick, and cube-cut. It's fun to play with different preparations and seeing just how differently it behaves. It's also fun, all these months later, to see how wildly divergent it is from its ready-rubbed counterpart. When first produced, the two forms are identical, but the change over time from all the extra surface area, and the different fermentation that results, is dramatic. Even after a few weeks, it's hard to believe they're the same blend.

Having my first bowl of the ready rubbed version tonight and liking it. One of the reviews I saw before getting it said it reminded him of a cigar with the complexity and changes in flavors throughout the bowl and I agree. As a cigar smoker I like that. Definitely going to try the plug version as well to see the differences. Want to try Triple Play now as well.

glpease":5w9u27rr said:
My favourite way of prepping JKP is to slice it very thin, rubbing it out to a fine shag, packing the bowl fairly loosely. Some enjoy it sliced thick, and cube-cut. It's fun to play with different preparations and seeing just how differently it behaves. It's also fun, all these months later, to see how wildly divergent it is from its ready-rubbed counterpart. When first produced, the two forms are identical, but the change over time from all the extra surface area, and the different fermentation that results, is dramatic. Even after a few weeks, it's hard to believe they're the same blend.
OK, you asked for it...Which one do you like better? ;)

Hermit":rrn679nl said:
glpease":rrn679nl said:
I'm partial to the plug. There's something about the way it ferments in the cake that really appeals to me. Plus, I like playing with knives...

glpease":hfv5xq9e said:
Hermit":hfv5xq9e said:
glpease":hfv5xq9e said:
I'm partial to the plug. There's something about the way it ferments in the cake that really appeals to me. Plus, I like playing with knives...
That's what I wanted to hear. ;)
I have 86 oz of Plug and 6 oz of Rubbed.

I love plugs. There's something even more archaic/esoteric about them.

My favorite way to have JKP is peeling off layers along the grain about 2mm thick, and cutting thin strands off just those, rubbing them out and smoking them. It's like tobacco Neapolitan ice cream...if you're into just having one systematic flavor at a time.

8)

I love plugs as well. I enjoy the preparation of them and the options they present.

One square of Triple Play had me placing an order for all Smoking Pipes had in stock. (Of the 8 oz tins I saved the 2 oz ones for others)

Plus, as Mr Pease said, I like playing with knives....

So this morning I tried the method of cutting off a slice and then cutting into cubes and gravity fill, no tamp and light. This worked so far the best for me and I'm glad I had my coffee riding into work this morning to counter-balance the vitamin-N kick. Worked well and I will likely continue this method then rubbing it out. It was easy, quick and enjoyable.

We have several JKP threads going so Bumping this rather than starting another is probably the proper way to go.

I set about to secure my Monday night smoke... I'd decided I wanted a GH&Co blend. I ended up with JKP instead. Sitting here 20 minutes into it I was hit with the thought, "This is an American GH&Co blend."

Mr Pease somehow managed to walk into the tobacco warehouse at 550 Highway 9 E, Long, North Carolina,USA and walk back out with a blend from Lake District Business Park, Mint Bridge Road, Kendal, United Kingdom.

I'm a huge fan of GL Pease Latakia blends. His work with blends like Cairo or Laurel Heights borders on divine. He even manages to come up with some nice vapers.

JKP is a different beast. It is a very mature smoke. Chronologically only 6 years old, but it's soul is well aged. This blend hearkens one back to a simpler time. Your great grandfather didn't smoke JKP, but he would have.

PB, you got me wishing I ordered JKP on my recent order, but I just love Triple Play too much, had to stock up. That being said, I like to cut the plug thin and rub out to a shag, so good, so rich!