JackKnife Plug!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No frustration on my part, I don't really want any of the stuff. I'm just skeptical by nature, while some will believe anything. (Just kidding...) Like all good things, I'm sure every smoker who wants some will eventually get a taste, realize it's the greatest thing ever, then move on to the next sensation, which is all we really crave anyway. But hey, I really don't know anything about anything anyway.

I'm quite content to wait the market out. I still have an absurdly long list of tobaccos to try, including many of the Dark Lord's other offerings. I got Kensington and Key Largo today (as an aside since Pease is on the brain), both of which I adore as per my expectation of GLP stuff. I'll just keep plugging (no pun intended) along until things even out.

I am looking forward to it though; I tend to really enjoy the prep part of piping.

Frost":oi52kbja said:
Man, have you seen the video of the C&D factory? If you ask me, it's amazing that they produce as much as they do. Think about how rare it is to see someone smoking a pipe or run into another pipesmoker. If you ask me, it's amazing that we have as much readily available pipe tobacco as we do. Think about all the laws designed to make it difficult to produce, distribute and sell tobacco. If you ask me, it seems amazing that we can get any at all, much less the thousands of blends that we all have access to. Seems to me that it's kinda foolish to think there is any kind of tobacco conspiracy. Seems to me more like a tobacco miracle.
Well, knowing that, I will now voluntarily pay double the price for any tin. Anything to keep the Mother Teresa's of the tobacco world in the miracle business. :lol!:

I am looking forward to trying this blend. I have just recently ventured into the relm of the Dark Lord, and I like it. I was fortunate to come across several aged tins of Union Square, Embarcadero, and Telegraph Hill. All are very good.

Harlock999":24amjqs0 said:
I'm sure every smoker who wants some will eventually get a taste, realize it's the greatest thing ever, then move on to the next sensation, which is all we really crave
Funny thing though the last 3 offerings from GL Pease didn't really appeal to me, but Jackknife plug really touched a nerve as it were. I didn't anticipate the supply dilemma, go figure...

OK, I can't roll up my pants any higher. JKP on eBay alf*kinready? Who are these type A people and what can we put in their pipes to calm them down?

I can hear the faint cries of hype rumbling as we speak to the effect the new run of now available tobacco is a mere shadow of the first distributed lot,,,,get your first batch collectors tins now,,,,there's always an angle,,,,Barnum was right,,,,

mark":4tjmkwy5 said:
I can hear the faint cries of hype rumbling as we speak to the effect the new run of now available tobacco is a mere shadow of the first distributed lot,,,,get your first batch collectors tins now,,,,there's always an angle,,,,Barnum was right,,,,
:cheers:

definately looks interesting, might have to buy a tin after the market settles down.

anyone smoke enought to get an opinion of it yet.

and who bought up the last of the quiet nights there too? still my all time favorite.

i have a tin that will hit the one year mark next month. the thing that is driving me crazy is whether or not to open it, or let it work its magic even more!

good luck on all on the acquistions.

camo

I have also been on the hunt for some of this. I read a review online that said something along the lines of "If Clint Eastwood or Charles Bronson smoked a pipe, they would smoke this."

Sold!

Ya know, I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it enough to buy a tin, but I'm itching for a bowl full just because. Anybody wanna swap a chunk for a similar amount of Renaissance or Mephisto or 3 Nuns? PM me.

OK - after about a dozen bowls in several different briars of various shape and source...this isn't the tobacco that the characters played by Eastwood or Bronson would smoke...maybe the actors themselves. The reason? This stuff is far more toward the "subtle" and "reserved" side of the scale than toward the "macho" and "tambolaka" side (meaning intensely flavored). It has little or no pre-light aroma. It's a slow building, mild flavored, moderate 'N', building to something in between a natural (and I do mean Natural) Kentucky and a VA kind of flavor. To me, a rich cigarette-like flavor comes in and builds til the end of the bowl. It comes moist, cuts easily...even tears off the plug...into a loose leafy mass that needs drying to burn well and taste good. It needs care in packing to allow an open draft that will enhance the burn and slow puffing to remain cool. Side streaming works well. DGT is pretty good. If you don't like a natural Kentucky/Carolina flavor profile, don't bother. Don't base expectations on a history of experience with UK plugs - this is uniquely American...rooted here, designed and blended here. Now if you could just BUY it here! lol I was lucky enough to scramble up 8 first run tins (the early bird didn't hesitate) via a trade. Nice! I'll smoke two and store the other 6 for 'someday'. Me? I like it.

Nice, thanks for the mini review BH. I'm having difficulty refraining from cracking one of the two tins I was lucky enough to snipe from smokingpipes.

Any other specific blends come to mind that you might be inclined to compare the flavor or behavior or any other aspect to?

For the Kentucky flavor, try either McBarens Stockton or Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake (in the Special Series). But then you'd have to factor in the VA and the flue cured leaf...not easy with wordage. Maybe if you smoked some C&D Briar Fox and thought really hard about Blue Grass (not the blend)? Just joking. I think the Briar Fox is close, but then add that Kentucky dimension.

Check out the reviews here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=N&TID=4195

Some of the reviewers are finding what I experienced...other have obviously gotten something else in their tins! lol I will say that I have the best luck in either cutting it thick and just sort of crushing it up and stuffing it into the bowl...seems to burn better that way for me. AND - today I tried it in a different bowl - a Charatan Pot...REALLY wide and kind of squatty. The width, I think, was the key...but it smoked GREAT!!! New flavors and dimensions throughout. And I still think that a cob would do well. But the flavors are light and subtle enough that I would be very hesitant to smoke it in a pipe that was ghosted with latakia or orientals or ANYTHING aromatic!

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I have learned over the years (40 years of pipe smoking) that one can not really rely on pipe tobacco reviews as the ultimate guide, because there are so many variations in palates. I have tried 5 star rated tobacco, and the tongue bite for me is terrible. I have found I liked the taste of tobaccos that the "experts" poo-poo as being terrible. I find I like some tobaccos that the "experts" like, and also find I dislike tobaccos the "experts" dislike. In general, it seems that one can easily be "misled" by the reviews, although I do thank reviewers for their thoughts and efforts. As we all know, the ultimate test is the smoking test: try it, what do you have to lose!?!?!?! For those lucky enough to be near a "good" pipe shop, the sampling can be a joy; it is tougher for those who have to order a $10-$15 tin just to taste something. I really commend Cornell & Diehl for their sampler selections, and your ability to order a custom selection of samples; that is the ultimate approach to customer orientation.

It almost seems that we all need to be graded with respect to palate. That way, if you have a number 5 palate, then you can seek out the reviews by those who also have number 5 palates! And the crazy thing is that palate does not seem to equate to type of tobacco preference: I enjoy matured Virginias, but do not enjoy all the matured Virginias highly rated by the Virginia "experts". And I am not particularly partial to Latakia blends, but find I do enjoy some that Latakia "experts" also enjoy. Palate seems like a wildely varying "thing" !!

Nero, I think you got it right on the money! In other words, I agree.

Yup. Yup. Good points all. That's why I read reviews at only one site and do it regularly...found a couple of 'benchmark' reviewers whose tastes resonate with my own. Sorta like...if 'A' likes it, then it MIGHT be OK...but if both 'B' and 'C' like it then it's a sure bet! I just found a couple of regular reviewers and read their thoughts on items I was familiar with...the ones that agreed with me became my benchmark guys. Not always perfect, but it's better than running out and buying every new thing under the sun. TTFN

I've been on a plug taste testing kick as of late. Not because I planned it but because I received two as gifts and then bought JKP. The Peterson's 3P was good not great. The Mick McQuaid Plug was OK, which kind of disappointed me because I had such high hopes. I need to smoke more of it though before forming too much of an opinion.

Then I tried JKP... This is what I've always image a plug being. Though I haven't found it very complex I did find it very rich in flavor and that flavor profile just grooves with me. I'm going to finish up the plug before I make any purchasing decisions but if my love affair continues I will be seriously investing in JKP.

Just ordered 3 tins at smokingpipes.com! Get it while it lasts! Or not.
I'm glad I got a bit, I've been anxious to try it for awhile.