Jim's C&D Steamworks Small Batch Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
This goes on sale Aug. 22 at 6 p.m.

The exceptionally tangy vintage sun cured Orientals include year 2005 Black Sea Sokhoum and provide an abundance of earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, herbs, some spice, leather, dry sourness, mild buttery, creamy sweetness, smoke, cigar, and a little nuttiness as the lead components. The spicy St. James perique offers plenty of earth, wood, dried plums, some raisin, figs, and a little floralness as a strong supporting player. The old belt (North Carolina and Georgia) orange, mahogany, bright, and six grades of red Virginias (with 17.72% sugar) are steamed to various degrees as secondary supporters. They produce a fair amount of tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, earth, wood, grass, tangy ripe dark fruit, mild vegetation, floralness, light spice, and touches of acidic vinegar. The red Virginias lightly lead the other Virginias. The strength and taste are fulsome. The nicotine is almost as potent. No chance of bite or harshness. Rough edges are very minimal. This broken flake mixture is a tad more than mildly moist, but as is my custom, I did not dry them. Your mileage may vary on this point. Well balanced, deeply rich and piquantly zesty, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a consistent spicy, floral, herbal, creamy sweet and dryly sour, fruity, smoky, mildly cigarish, nutty, very tangy flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not an all day smoke, and I recommend a small to medium bowl for this hearty blend. Four stars.

It sounds like a must try blend. Are there any other blends we might be familiar with that it resembles?
I would say no although in the past year I have noticed more new products being Oriental forward including C&D Warped Midsommar. Wilke came out with several: Mediterranean Nights, Red Oriental, Coronado Oriental (this is stout), and Dark Oriental. Missouri Meershaum Luminaire has a lot of Oriental although it's matched by Katerini Perique (which is Katerini processed as perique, and has elements of both in the mix).

Watch City has Simply VOriental (which I co-created) with Macedonia Prilep in the lead. And their English Ernie-ental is also worth your money. Ernie sent me a sample for my opinion. I gave tons of advice: "Do Not Change It!"

I truly do not appreciate these threads that totally tempt me with more pipe tobacco that I must try!! My inability to resist any form of temptation is well-documented and a matter of record!! Now I must schedule more appointments with my therapist. But not before I look for...now where did I put Watch City's email address!!!!! Oh, I found it right next to the Wilke one!! Note to self...Time to create more shelf space on which to stack more pipe tobacco!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: With tongue in cheek...FTRPLT

I truly do not appreciate these threads that totally tempt me with more pipe tobacco that I must try!! My inability to resist any form of temptation is well-documented and a matter of record!! Now I must schedule more appointments with my therapist. But not before I look for...now where did I put Watch City's email address!!!!! Oh, I found it right next to the Wilke one!! Note to self...Time to create more shelf space on which to stack more pipe tobacco!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: With tongue in cheek...FTRPLT

You might think about signing up for our new special members service where you can filter the information you receive from BOB. You can have all information, etc. or delete content pertaining to pipes, tobacco, pipe gear, etc. before it’s sent your way. You can also opt to not receive comments or posts or threads made by other members that relate to pipes, tobacco, etc.. You’ll find the “on” button in the PAD / TAD SAFE section.

Of course that pretty much gets you our BOB LITE feed. (Note related graphic below.). Your call.

IMG_7468.jpeg

This goes on sale Aug. 22 at 6 p.m.

The exceptionally tangy vintage sun cured Orientals include year 2005 Black Sea Sokhoum and provide an abundance of earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, herbs, some spice, leather, dry sourness, mild buttery, creamy sweetness, smoke, cigar, and a little nuttiness as the lead components. The spicy St. James perique offers plenty of earth, wood, dried plums, some raisin, figs, and a little floralness as a strong supporting player. The old belt (North Carolina and Georgia) orange, mahogany, bright, and six grades of red Virginias (with 17.72% sugar) are steamed to various degrees as secondary supporters. They produce a fair amount of tart and tangy citrus, sugar, bread, earth, wood, grass, tangy ripe dark fruit, mild vegetation, floralness, light spice, and touches of acidic vinegar. The red Virginias lightly lead the other Virginias. The strength and taste are fulsome. The nicotine is almost as potent. No chance of bite or harshness. Rough edges are very minimal. This broken flake mixture is a tad more than mildly moist, but as is my custom, I did not dry them. Your mileage may vary on this point. Well balanced, deeply rich and piquantly zesty, it burns cool, clean and a little slow with a consistent spicy, floral, herbal, creamy sweet and dryly sour, fruity, smoky, mildly cigarish, nutty, very tangy flavor that extends to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. The room note is pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. It’s not an all day smoke, and I recommend a small to medium bowl for this hearty blend. Four stars.
Re-read this great review. Jim, if a person wanted to pick out the Black Sea Sokhoum just to taste it by itself, what could identify it visually in the blend? I'll likely use my Kaywoodie 13B for the blend and a clay for the Black Sea Sokhoum, if it can be sorted out. Thanks

Re-read this great review. Jim, if a person wanted to pick out the Black Sea Sokhoum just to taste it by itself, what could identify it visually in the blend? I'll likely use my Kaywoodie 13B for the blend and a clay for the Black Sea Sokhoum, if it can be sorted out. Thanks
I never tried Black Sea Sokhoum before so I was unable to pick it out directly. Considering what else was in the mix, I felt it wasn't a big factor, but I could be wrong about that. Wish I had tried it when McClelland sold it.