Jim's Dan's St. Bernard Flake Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
The Virginias are grassy with a bit of bold earthiness. The sweetness is citrus, and tangy dried fruit. The perique is strong, offering some plum and raisin with a sharp spiciness in every puff. There's a prevalent musty, leathery, bitter quality that, depending on your personal preferences, either clash with or compliment the sweet and sour flavor. Despite all of that, you'll notice a creaminess from the topping that keeps this from becoming harsh, though I suspect a pinch or two of dark cavendish is present. In many ways, it's a bolder, sweeter, spicier version of Dunhill Navy Rolls with some different flavor hits. Burns slow and requires some relights. Made for an experienced smoker.

Thanks for the thorough review! This one sounds like one I'd enjoy so I'll order up a tin if I can find a source. It doesn't look like SP.com stocks this one.

juanmedusa":3yexy3pv said:
Thanks again. Sounds awesome.
Agreed. Nice review Jim. I have never even heard of this Dan product until now. Sounds right up my alley.

Sometimes it might be available under another brand name... :D

Dan Pipe Catalog Description of St. Bernard Flake >

wcjvns.jpg

Former's Description of Straight Grain Flake >

straight-ds.jpg

From http://formerpipes.com/former.html

Too similar to be mere coincidence, especially since DTM is the manufacturer of Former's tobaccos. Of course if you'd prefer to believe that Former has a tobacco factory ... 8)