Jim's MacBaren Mixture Flake Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of MacBaren's Scottish Flake with a few differences. I find this to be a little spicier and I get that in every puff, which indicates to me that there's a little more dark fired Kentucky here. The taste is more consistent here than it is in SF, too. I get a variety of flavors, ranging from nuts, a little honey, bread, earth, and a hint of grass. The sweetness comes from the gold and black cavendish, Virginias, burleys, and a light topping. Smokey, woodsy, tangy, and creamy notes play well with the tongue, offering a slow, cool and dry burn rate with very little moisture at the finish. I found it sweeter when I sip at a moderate pace. This is a blend that deserves more attention when you smoke it.

I made my way through all the macbaren flakes twice. Once when I first started (mixture flake was actually my very first flake tobacco), and again more recently.

I still think Mixture flake is the best. Followed closely by the Navy.

I think the tin blurb is accurate: something about it being mildly aromatic and a companion throughout the entire day.

It is fairly complex and the more pleasing flavors can be a bit allusive but it sure is a good time chasing after them!

This is a sleeper, IMHO