Jim's McClelland Tudor Castle Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
The "ketchup" smell disappears from the taste for the most part after some puffs. The sugary cased bright Virginias dull the grass notes, but sweetly compliments the dark fruity, tangy, mildly earthy red Virginias, the latter being the most dominant due to the processing of the very sweet stoved red. The yenidje offers a very slight sourness along with some woody smokiness, and is obvious in virtually every puff. The perique is more plum and raisin than spicy, and though it's not a major player, its presence adds some depth and important complexity, elevating the taste of the well balanced blend. Burns very slowly as flake tobaccos often will, and stays cool no matter how much it's pushed with no dullness or harsh spots. It does require some relights.The flavor is consistent from start to finish as every ingredient shines with a very sweetly pleasant after taste that lingers.

Great review Jim. Aged Tudor Castle is my all time favorite tobacco that I reserve for very special occasions. On Christmas Day I smoked a bowl that was 7 years old while walking the beach on the Outer Banks here in NC with my wife. The weather was bright and sunny with the temperature about 65 degrees. No one else on the beach but us and the ocean, except for the breaking surf along the shore, was smooth as glass. The tobacco was being smoked in a Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro Canadian and it was superb. Made for a wonderful Christmas memory. :)  

AJ

Love Tudor Castle, great stuff and such a seemingly simple combination of tobacco.

Nice Review Jim. I always appreciate your neat and concisely written opinions.

Jim makes almost all tobacco he reviews sound greats! But, this one, I think, is going to find itself on my next TAD!

I recently finished up 100g of TC and am very impressed. I find it to be rich, deep, and with the 'earthiness' that I always like in a tobacco giving it an opaque and smooth character. The Perique, as already mentioned, stays in the background yet it does come out occasionally with that distinctively stewed plum and fig flavor undercurrent, just the way I prefer my Perique. The red VA and Yenidje combine wonderfully to create a dark sweetness with the Perique adding the depth. This tobacco is a slow smoker's delight! After the usual required McC flake drying time, I found the broken flakes do need a couple of matches to get started and a couple of more to get it burned to the bottom of the bowl which is no big deal. The reward is an exceptionally good smoke and one that will now be a regular in my daily rotation. Thanks for bringing this one up for discussion, Jim!  :D