John Patton blends at 4 Noggins...MIA!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if some of the John Patton blends used McClelland tobaccos. While it’s not a John Patton blend, I’m a big fan of 4noggins Weybridge which is also mia. It has that tang reminiscent of McClellands & I suspect that’s why it’s no longer listed on the website.

Several of the Patton and 4Noggins blends did use McClelland's tobaccos, so they are now history.

Well they still sell Oriental Dusk and Dark Horse...but not Crossroads. And Crossroads had the same component tobacconas the other two have...so...ya can’t pin Crossroads being gone on the lack of McClelland blending leaf being gone since the other two are still around.

I remember one time when Rich was there, they had a stall in making one of those three for me and pointed the finger at Cornell & Diehl for being out of something. So it doesn’t all depend on McClelland leaf.

Also...of interest perhaps...Dark Horse is exactly the same blend as Soulmate’s Kiss...except in Dark Horse the Latakia is swapped out for Cigar Leaf. So...Rich stopped making asoulmate due (I was told) to low sales.

I’m thinking the same thing is going on here. They’re just keeping the better selling blends.

Rich used to be willing to make almost any of Patton’s blends up on special order if the order was like a pound, or something. I wonder if the new guy would do something like that. That’s how Dark Horse came to be. I asked Rich to make a pound of Soulmate’s Kiss with the Latakia subbed out and Cigar Leaf put in instead. They eventually called the “new” blend Dark Horse with my permission and continued to make and sell it.

It's happening. The 2007 law will put many artisan blenders out of business. Its a damn shame. Now I don't want to smoke a lot of the cool tobacco I have squirreled away. There wont be any more coming. :cry:

Blackhorse":jtw3ws36 said:
Well they still sell Oriental Dusk and Dark Horse...but not Crossroads. And Crossroads had the same component tobacconas the other two have...so...ya can’t pin Crossroads being gone on the lack of McClelland blending leaf being gone since the other two are still around.

I remember one time when Rich was there, they had a stall in making one of those three for me and pointed the finger at Cornell & Diehl for being out of something. So it doesn’t all depend on McClelland leaf.

Also...of interest perhaps...Dark Horse is exactly the same blend as Soulmate’s Kiss...except in Dark Horse the Latakia is swapped out for Cigar Leaf. So...Rich stopped making asoulmate due (I was told) to low sales.

I’m thinking the same thing is going on here. They’re just keeping the better selling blends.

Rich used to be willing to make almost any of Patton’s blends up on special order if the order was like a pound, or something. I wonder if the new guy would do something like that. That’s how Dark Horse came to be. I asked Rich to make a pound of Soulmate’s Kiss with the Latakia subbed out and Cigar Leaf put in instead. They eventually called the “new” blend Dark Horse with my permission and continued to make and sell it.
I can believe sales could be a factor. However, since McClelland tobaccos were used in some blends, and we don't know what of it 4Noggins has at this point, I'm not holding my breath that BHT, Prairie Wind, Weybridge, and a few others will be back, unless they source from somewhere else, which would probably not please a lot of people.

Another factor may be the new owner is making his life easier by not dealing with it any more than he has/chooses to.

“However, since McClelland tobaccos were used in some blends, and we don't know what of it 4Noggins has at this point, I'm not holding my breath that BHT, Prairie Wind, Weybridge, and a few others will be back, unless they source from somewhere else, which would probably not please a lot of people.”

Whatever. I don’t know about the components of the 4 Noggins house stuff. I tried ‘em now and again but they never did a lot for me. I started this pertaining to the Patton blends. Those are the ones I’m talking about. I think your last comment is very likely the case. Of course, somebody could just pick up the phone, call the guy and ask him. Stranger things have happened.

What I’d like to know:

1. if he can still make up other of the Patton blends on special order
2. if so what’s the minimum amount
3. are component tobaccos still available to make the Patton blends
4. is he planning to DC other blends
5. would he warn us so we could “stock up” before something just vanishes
6. if he’s not going to make these any more would he be willing to share recipes

You know...the basics.

Edit: OK...I just sent the above list of questions to the new guy at 4 Noggins. We’ll see if I get a reply.

I emailed the above questions to 4 Noggins about a week ago. I have had no response. This happened once before...the only other time I’ve emailed them. No response.

I guess that they have no interest in responding to their customer base.

That's odd, he replied to me right away on a customer service issue last week.