John Patton's 'Crossroads'...Turkish Bliss!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way...I'm working on a new and interesting project...guided by the erstwhile Mr. Patton.

I've gone through most of the non-Latakia blends in John's repertoire and am still looking for more. There are 3 or 4 of his blends that have just a hint of Latakia in them and a large number of other component tobaccos...so I asked him which of those might be the best candidates for blending without the Latakia.

He's got a number of blends that are the same recipe but with one less tobacco than another of his blends. Like Quad Virginia is the same as Cool Hand Fluke, but without the Perique, etc.

So I picked out three 'possibles': Cigar Royal, Soulmate's Kiss and Harvest Home. He told me that he thought both Harvest Home and Soulmate's Kiss would be excellent candidates for the experiment. So, between them, I picked Soulmate's Kiss which is normally a coarse cut blend of 2 Burleys, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Oriental & Turkish...and I'll have it made up without the Latakia...or maybe have the Latakia replaced with Cigar Leaf! The Latakia and Perique take a very background role anyway...so it should work well.

When it happens (and my 'blend budget' is tapped out for a bit) I'll let you know how it turns out. I think it'll be damn good!

Brewdude":ci717k3q said:
Blackhorse":ci717k3q said:
Smoke it in a Dublin or other tapered bowl and the flavors REALLY concentrate!
What a good idea. I'll try it in my Pete Mycroft next.

Cheers,

RR
Tried this after work today. Pretty much the same fine experience as in the poker.

And not to be forgotten, clearly one of the better burning blends I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Moisture level is spot on. But the same can be said for all the other titljp blends as well.

Need to put together an order for this before you other guys run it oos.

Cheers,

RR

You'll be fine so long as you don't use a Mastercard. They're having issues with their system and it won't take an MC...just kicks you back to your cart. It has no problem with VISA or PayPal though.

Note #1: Another thing I REALLY like about the Crossroads is the the very coarse cut. It's loaded with what looks like chunks of flake. That might help with the slow easy burn.

Note #2: I just did a 'special order' for a halfer of 'Soulmate's Kiss' but with the Latakia exchanged for Cigar Leaf. (yes, I know I'm crazy) But I can't get enough of these blends of his. I'm really gravitating toward the 'this-n-that' blends...complex and so easy to manage. What a great combo.

Blackhorse":qwf15r8r said:
By the way...I'm working on a new and interesting project...guided by the erstwhile Mr. Patton.
I sure hope I'm not erstwhile, since it means Former. I hope I have a few years left before that applies to me.

tiltjlp":dr5g3hia said:
Blackhorse":dr5g3hia said:
I sure hope I'm not erstwhile, since it means Former. I hope I have a few years left before that applies to me.
AAAAAAGH! Ghost! :pale:

8)

Well, it IS October.

Actually, I was kind of referring to your status as a 'past' blender, as you've said many times that you don't do that any longer. I think it kind of came to me since I was in the midst of thinking about your 'past' blends, which are no longer regularly made or offered...though I know you can special order them. And then there's the possibility that I just screwed up.

It is the BOB Halloween story of 2012. The Dark Horse has taken the former Mr. Patton. We believe The Shadow has had a hand in this.

Steveaux":jhhrmw8a said:
Does this mean John's a ...*gasp* ... ZOMBIE ?!?!?

:affraid:
A gentleman to be sure. Gentlemen don't eat brains, they build them.

Blackhorse":iau9mco0 said:
Dr. Pattonstein!
00604.jpg

I couldn't find a pic of a zombie tearing apart a bundle of cigar leaf.

:geek:

Steveaux":ibh007rn said:

:geek:
Weird! Did you try the search engine giants excite, alta vista or accoona?

The Erstwhile Blender, now that I like. Should have most folks scratching their heads and reaching for dictionaries.

I just got a really cool app that I've been using on my tablet...it looks only for 'images' across 5 search engines. It REALLY does a good job, finding images for searchs I've done with just Google - and finding many that Google didn't. I use it to look for images that I save related to designs, carving, knifemaking, etc. picking things up like Nw Native Art, blade designs, carving techniques, knife handle design, Nordic knife making, etc., etc., etc. I really has helped. It's called 'DroifIris v2.6'.

But alas, even this fine engine yielded no results pertaining to zombie leaf ripping. Sigh.

I just tried some of this blend, courtesy of BH.

HOLY COW.

So tasty and the smell was delightfully fragrant. Not aromatic, but certainly enticing. It added to the overall experience without detracting from the blend itself. It was comforting.

I can understand why this is a BH favorite.

I've smoked enough Crossroads to be able to say something that might be valuable. But this thread already says what I would say:

all-day smoke
very balanced
Izmir accent
complex

Really liking it. Bought and was bombed by lbs; 2 lbs on hand feels just right:).

The pipe smoker who owned the Bufflehead blends maintained that a lighter flavor, as compared to Escudo, was desirable. I told him that it wouldn't work for me; but Crossroads proves me wrong.

Reviving this old thread to say that I've finally gotten around to trying the sizable sample of Crossroads that I received about a year ago (I'm pretty sure it was from a bombing run back then, as there are a about a dozen ounce, once-and-a-half samples still in the little mason jars waiting to be tried).

Anyway...holy smokes, this stuff is absolutely incredible.

With apologies to the Dark Lord, I can see this replacing Embarcadero as my go-go Va/Izmir blend. I've had a few Patton blends that I've really liked (and one still waiting in a sample jar), so I'm not at all surprised that I enjoy Crossroads, but I didn't expect it to be so overwhelmingly delicious. Excellent, excellent stuff.