John Patton's Oriental Dusk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always on the prowl for an all-day blend that has full flavor, darker flavor, etc. and this one sounds like it might be a winner. I was thinking of 'adjusting' another blend, but went for this one instead with my mad money for this month.

Blackhorse":njbuwgde said:
I'll be trying a new one soon...'Dehli Township'. While the name implies that this would be another one chock full of Orientals and Latakia, it's not. It's described as Stoved Virginia with lesser amounts of Burley, and 15% Perique makes for a slightly sweet, smoky blend.

It might be something you'd like. Descriptive statements include:

"This blend is a bit milder...the mix of stoved Virginia and burley works nicely with the Perique...a good, balanced flavor that...a nice break from heavier blends." and

"...there is a spicy tingle in the mouth...The perique is not strong...The percentage was just right for me. It's earthy, nutty and slightly salty on the palate...very pleasant. I did not get any sweetness from the stoved virgina but rather a darker fuller flavour making for a Smokey blend. When I was smoking this tobacco I had an urge to have a pint of dark ale..." and

"This is an interesting Virginia blend, with just the right dash of Perique for my tastes...no bite whatsoever...a nicely composed smoke with good mouth feel. My wife told me...the room note was "really nice", which is a definite plus."
Blackhorse":njbuwgde said:
I'm always on the prowl for an all-day blend that has full flavor, darker flavor, etc. and this one sounds like it might be a winner. I was thinking of 'adjusting' another blend, but went for this one instead with my mad money for this month.
He's doing it again..........

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

He's doing it again..........

Who...ME?

cartoon-emoticons-smiley-face-devil-grin.png

I must avoid the Blackhorse threads. My wife and kids are not ready to move to a homeless shelter.

Well, have to say OD has moved to the front of the line. Had another great experience with it today. And it's even not 2 weeks old!

Can see this becoming one of the go-to blends.

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

The first thing I wrote down in my notes when smoking Oriental Dusk was "Oh Mamma!"

Obviously some portions of my reviews are edited, but nonetheless I thought I'd share.

I like this blend a lot.

I've now smoked about a half-dozen bowls of OD. I've had a very hard time attuning to it because it's like nothing else I've smoked. I've thought about trading it but unless I really hate a blend that seems to be the easy way out. I think my answer is to keep smoking it until I understand better what I'm smoking.

Why do I find it so strange? First, I've never smoked a cigar blend, and apparently it is almost 25% cigar leaf; more Connecticut than maduro, I'd say. I don't taste depth; roundness, sure, I'll go with that. Second, the Orientals; I have almost no experience discriminating them from other tobaccos.

I find that I agree with just about everything others have said the about the blend, especially DrumsAndBeer's wonderful review. A very complex taste, overall solidly in the mid-to-high register, very melded, and in descending order:

spice
citrus
and right now that's it. There's far too much finely tuned complexity for me to go further

I'm now of the opinion that this is a very good and very unusual blend. Thanks to everyone for the recommend!

See? The damn things get under your skin...but in a good way. I've read every review of his blends I'm sure...and easily the most common comment is that his blends defy classification. All I can say is...works for me!

It would be cool to see 4-N's do up a Patton sampler pack! Either a pick 4 thing or one ouce of O. Dusk, Crossroads, Darkhorse and Stormfront...something like that.

alfredo_buscatti":b62m7yhk said:
I've now smoked about a half-dozen bowls of OD. I've had a very hard time attuning to it because it's like nothing else I've smoked. I've thought about trading it but unless I really hate a blend that seems to be the easy way out. I think my answer is to keep smoking it until I understand better what I'm smoking.

Why do I find it so strange? First, I've never smoked a cigar blend, and apparently it is almost 25% cigar leaf; more Connecticut than maduro, I'd say. I don't taste depth; roundness, sure, I'll go with that. Second, the Orientals; I have almost no experience discriminating them from other tobaccos.

I find that I agree with just about everything others have said the about the blend, especially DrumsAndBeer's wonderful review. A very complex taste, overall solidly in the mid-to-high register, very melded, and in descending order:

spice
citrus
and right now that's it. There's far too much finely tuned complexity for me to go further

I'm now of the opinion that this is a very good and very unusual blend. Thanks to everyone for the recommend!
Stick with it, that’s how you educate yourself about all the different blends and tobaccos there are. And there’s only about 20% cigar leaf, which is actually Pennsylvania Maduro. And wouldn’t it get boring if all blends reminded you of each other?

OD has been traveling with me lately, as the cobs have been my choice for "field pipes." It's a very tolerant blend, if you are moving around, driving with the windows down and jetting down the highway at 80MPH, it's just not very fussy. I like it a lot. :)

8)

Ky;e wrote:

It's a very tolerant blend

Indeed! This is one of the many reasons I favor John's blends. They come at the right dryness, they are easy to load and have excellent manners 'down the bowl' and perform well in almost all pipes...a MM Freehand being a favorite. Maybe because I can stuff so much tobacco in one!

The newly offered 'Darkhorse' has become a real favorite as well. If you take the spicy character of Oriental Dusk up a notch, that's where Darkhorse is for me. And it's counterpart, 'Soulmate's Kiss' (using the original Latakia formula instead of replacing it with Cigar Leaf), is also a winner!

When I look back at 2012 on New Year's Day and ponder all the good things that happened during the year...finding these blends and having more of them offered will absolutely be among the high points.

tiltjp wrote: Stick with it, that’s how you educate yourself about all the different blends and tobaccos there are. And there’s only about 20% cigar leaf, which is actually Pennsylvania Maduro. And wouldn’t it get boring if all blends reminded you of each other?
Most definitely, this is a horizon-broadening blend, and certainly I would like to know more. Maduro. . .I thought I knew that taste. Smoked enough of them; must be combining with the Orientals and thus very changed?

It is boring to smoke everything minus OD. I'm so used to tasting burley, VA and latakia.

Thanks!

Blackhorse":ff8074xx said:
See? The damn things get under your skin...but in a good way. I've read every review of his blends I'm sure...and easily the most common comment is that his blends defy classification. All I can say is...works for me!

It would be cool to see 4-N's do up a Patton sampler pack! Either a pick 4 thing or one ouce of O. Dusk, Crossroads, Darkhorse and Stormfront...something like that.
An outstanding idea BH. This would clearly benefit those who wanted to sample a range of these fine tobys.

All I can say about OD at this point is that it's taken over as a daily driver for my after supper bowl. And displacing the prior regular of P&W #78 or Churchill really says something to me, at least!

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

I've smoked about 2 oz and must say that this tobacco never fails to please, and the novelty and craft of this blend is like nothing I've tasted before. Like Escudo, I feel it will have a permanent place in my cellar. I recently bought a pound of OD.

I want to say that the high-end note of the oriental tastes like mint. But it is intertwined so skillfully with the burley and cigar that it has just enough of a darkened tone. Though the blend is 20% Pennsylvania maduro, I taste the cigar more like the CC El Rey del Mundo coronas that I was smoking last spring, more medium and spicy than the vast majority of the rich and deep spice of Nicaraguan tobacco. For me the cigar is suggestive compared to the bold tones of cigar in Billy Budd. The blend notes say that this is an oriental/cigar blend; I would say oriental, with the skillful addition of cigar.

Who smokes all day? Yet the comment that this or that tobacco could be an all day smoke is often made. If I smoked all day, OD would be more than satisfactory; but its novelty and craft would keep intruding on my tasks, clamoring to be savored.

The note of "mint" probably is coming a little bit off the Burley and the cigar leaf. I notice this same fleeting sub-flavor in C&D Billy Budd at times, once the Latakia has mellowed out after half a bowl. Oriental Dusk is not minty, just to clarify for others, but sometimes certain leaf, by itself or with others, puts a very faint bit of flavor on the extreme edges of the palate. I still think very highly of Oriental Dusk, and really need to get a sizable stash of the stuff put away.

8)

Funny, I just had a bowl of OD this morning. No mint and no cigar - the Turkish and Burley being the forward notes. Depending on the day and the time I either go for OD or Crossroads as my blend of choice. Other of his blends have been filling in the cracks - and I've even found 3 with very subtle touches of Latakia that have been adopted...much to my surprise. I seldom smoke blends other than his any longer. They all seem to have a sort of family resemblance, which is a good thing.

I've been pretty much hooked on OD, Crossroads, and a few other tiltjp blends these days. And of course the "Darkhorse" blend has been figuring large into the rotation as well.

The moisture content is just perfect for "lock-and-load". Really appreciate that.

Right now I'm seeing if Rich can blend up some of the Cigar Royal and Cathy's Clown.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks again for all the kind comments. If I didn't know I was a bum I could easily get a swelled head.